AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th March, 2004, 05:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

game menus not displaying

hi,

i recently got a 19" samsung syncmaster 955df running 1024x768@60hz and i have a radeon 9600xt w/ 256mb. when i played ghost recon and beat a level (not online) it usually goes back to a menu/statistics page. it worked perfectly on my old malfunctioning 17". but on my new 19", i get a blank screen, i can see that the monitor changes resolution. the mouse works and i can click so the game works, just not displaying.

also in empire earth, when i click on anything on the second menu (play saved game, random map, etc...), nothing happens. again it worked great on the old monitor. with ghost recon i can switch back to windows however in empire earth, xp crashes and i have to manually restart. any thoughts?

both the winxp pro and game (both ee and gr) are set to 1024x768-32bit.

also i'm very new to monitors and appreciating the display quality. i don't understand the whole hz thing. what does changing the hertz mean? i do know that my monitor currently running on 60hz. could the hz setting be related to my above game issue? should i increase or decrease it
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2004, 05:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Indeed, your game settings could be affecting it. The 955DF has a max refresh rate of 85 Khz horizontal and 160 Hz vertical. However, the two work against each other. You have to stay within these boundaries, or you won't get a picture.

You also may have a problem that the monitor is auto-sensing a different resolution than you are displaying, and so you may have to resize the screen for different resolutions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th March, 2004, 03:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

i changed the resolution to 85mhz and in ghost recon, changed the resolution to 640x480-32bit and it works.

however i tried with a second monitor with a dvi-vga adapter and it didn't work either.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 12th March, 2004, 02:22 AM
AOA Staff

60hz is bad on the eyes!

Have you installed a driver specifically for the monitor you are using?