AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th January, 2002, 03:46 AM

Radeon 7500 tweaks&questions?

Just got the RMA'd 7500 back and I need to learn to work with ATI cards... anyone willing to enlighten me?

Have the stock drivers installed, no tweaks, but I understand there are some programs to adjust this card...

Any "settings" details I should know???

Sorry, I am so iliterate about ATI... I have been an NVidia fan for too long

BTW: here's the card specs:

Radeon 7500
64Mb DDR
S-Video & LCD output

running on Win2K pro

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
the existence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th January, 2002, 04:17 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to TranceBear Send a message via AIM to TranceBear Send a message via Yahoo to TranceBear

Hey Kris, I just went to the dark side also. I picked up an 8500. I am learning as I go how to tweak these suckers. I am using the newest Powerstrip and it is working just fine. Is there a better one? I am VERY happy I made the switch!!
Old 19th January, 2002, 04:20 AM

yes... the card has beautiful 2D rendering as well... makes my GF2 look lame...

I am, at present, looking for ways to OC the core & memory... like the NVidia utilities... not found anything yet...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th January, 2002, 07:02 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I use radeon tweaker for my ol' LE, but I'm not sure if it works with newer cards.
Old 19th January, 2002, 07:03 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
I use radeon tweaker for my ol' LE, but I'm not sure if it works with newer cards.
Should work like a champ. What I always used.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 19th January, 2002, 07:58 PM

got the Radeon tweaker installed... nice program... gives me an error when I try to overclock thought... something about unable to open "setclock()"

Also, with or without tweaks, I am having very "sluggish" response to animated gifs... WTF? I get about 1 or 2 frames per sec... is this related to something else?

wondering if I need to uninstall the whole lot & reistall directX & ATI drivers???

Last edited by Kris; 19th January, 2002 at 08:01 PM.
Old 19th January, 2002, 10:03 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Try the new beta drivers, It's a good excuse to try them out.
Which version of directX do you have? Win2K comes with v7, me thinks.

Also, have you tried 3dmark2001?
Old 20th January, 2002, 02:31 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Kris
got the Radeon tweaker installed... nice program... gives me an error when I try to overclock thought... something about unable to open "setclock()"

Also, with or without tweaks, I am having very "sluggish" response to animated gifs... WTF? I get about 1 or 2 frames per sec... is this related to something else?

wondering if I need to uninstall the whole lot & reistall directX & ATI drivers???
I had the exact same problem with the animated gifs. Major pain in the ass on the forum. The only really major problem on the forum though was mrpcman's little image pic interfering with the Allied buttons. But yes, a delay exists, and I'm not sure why

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 20th January, 2002, 06:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142

I had the exact same problem with the animated gifs. Major pain in the ass on the forum. The only really major problem on the forum though was mrpcman's little image pic interfering with the Allied buttons. But yes, a delay exists, and I'm not sure why
Ditto, animated gifs are always an issue, seems to be only with ATI cards though

I user powerstrip for my overclocking, video tweaking needs. Error free and settings galore!
Old 20th January, 2002, 10:52 PM

yikes... didn't know there was an issue with gifs & radeon... one good thing about NVidia I guess...

I think I will unistall radeon tweaker & ATI drivers, then reinstall directX 8 with dirvers & powerstrip to see if I get better results...

Old 21st January, 2002, 09:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Aargh. The Radeon 7500 was looking good, and now this. An animated .gif simply shouldn't give any Vidcard the hiccups.

Is the answer a 32 Mb Maxi-Xentor TNT 2? Bruddah, those were very expensive, even nine months after the first GeForce 256 hit the shelves.

Where is the near-perfect Vidcard? At this point in time, my humble Voodoo 3/2K and Elsa GF 256 are looking very good. Neither of them stumble over anything. But I kinda don't think that 0.5 or 1 fps in Max Payne is playable!

Why the hell is Max Payne so rough on Vidcards? Can the load it puts on a Vidcard really be seen as an "advancement?"
Old 22nd January, 2002, 06:11 AM

Claosters... did a reinstall of directX and got A LOT of help... going to work on those pesky drivers when i get a bit more time..

for now, MUCH better than my GF2-MX400... & 2D is LOVELY on this card...