AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th April, 2004, 03:48 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Radeon 9200 SE vivo problems

I have a client that has an excalibur 9200se that will crash during Far Cry. As he had not experienced the crashes before, he is concerned, and i'll explain why.
first of all he works 5 weeks on the other side of the world, and gets 3.5 home. While he was gone, i had some calls from his brother-in-law about the system crashing during America's Army and such. In doing my troubleshooting over the phone, i realized that there were numerous viruses on the machine and proceeded to remove them. After several hours and numerous house calls, all seemed to be well.
When my client got home a week or so ago i gave him Far Cry(good way to get upgrade business is to give out awesome games for free...and when they can't play they come runnin!lol) While i was there is checked the temps and found out that the cpu was running @ 63c idle...and @ about 70-71 under-load. I told him about getting some cooling upgrades before it died. A new heatsink and case fan and a drop to 48 idle calmed the situation.
He has now started to play Far Cry, which crashes again now, @ random times, but in identical places in the game..ie. starting @ a save inside during treehouse level always leads to a crash within 3 minutes....but not every time. With all the info i now have i belive that his card is kaput. I tried installing a blue orb to help with heat issues, and becuase of this, he believes this to be my fault(the crashes).
All the crashes lead to either a VPU recovery in software mode that requires a restart, or a microsoft hardware error that leads to a reboot to get out of software rendering. Everything says heat to me?
Any ideas?
Thank you ahead of time.
Old 29th April, 2004, 06:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It sure sounds to me like a heat failure. If the CPU was running 70C under load, then GPU was probably heading towards 100C, would be my guess, based on what I have read elsewhere.

You ought to be able to prove it by loading something else that is graphics intensive.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th April, 2004, 07:21 PM

ok, i understand that, but now the cpu runs @ 40-54c max...
could the card have already undergone permanent damage?
it does not seem to make sense when i can play unreal2k3 for an hour and nothing happens and i load a particular save and it goes. the heat thoery works, only providing that the lighting @ that particular point in the game creates the amt of heat that is too much.
Old 29th April, 2004, 08:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yes, it could have already suffered from permanent damage.

I'll admit that the heat damage theory doesn't seem to completely fit the facts, but often when troubleshooting these kinds of problems, you are forced to make some educated guesses.

One thing you might try doing is reverting back to the stock VGA drivers. and then reload the vidcard drivers.

Now that I think about this a bit more, given the fact that this machine was crawling with nasties at one point, its not out of the realm of possibility that there is still some nagging system instability issue that is a result of all that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th April, 2004, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Yes, it could have already suffered from permanent damage.

I'll admit that the heat damage theory doesn't seem to completely fit the facts, but often when troubleshooting these kinds of problems, you are forced to make some educated guesses.

One thing you might try doing is reverting back to the stock VGA drivers. and then reload the vidcard drivers.

Now that I think about this a bit more, given the fact that this machine was crawling with nasties at one point, its not out of the realm of possibility that there is still some nagging system instability issue that is a result of all that.
i thought about the virus probs.. and that was why i started the thread...most things point to heat being the culprit..except for the hour of unreal i played that resulted in nothing. it was weird becasue i looked @ the texture quality settings, and SOMETHING changed it from bilinear to trilinear. i know that there are new viruses on the machine..when he was overseas he has a usb drive that he shares with his co-workers, and the first thing i do everytime he gets home is a scan,which always finds something.
i just don't want to have to buy a new vid card if it was not my fault.
Old 30th April, 2004, 12:45 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

i reckon he done somethin to it and is tryin to blame you for it.
the lesson you learn fro this is dont try and fix friend's/family's computers if you think they are gonna be an ****hole and blame you for it.

friend's aren't worth falling out because of a computer, but the simple answer is dont bother tryin to fix it for them again afterwards.
Old 30th April, 2004, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoLEW
i reckon he done somethin to it and is tryin to blame you for it.
the lesson you learn fro this is dont try and fix friend's/family's computers if you think they are gonna be an ****hole and blame you for it.

friend's aren't worth falling out because of a computer, but the simple answer is dont bother tryin to fix it for them again afterwards.
did you miss the part about it being a client?
Old 30th April, 2004, 11:46 PM

Problem has been solved, sort of.
Ever had a laptop screen die on you and try to get it repaired?
Don't.
order the part from the manufacturer and do it yourself...if you cam still barely make out the images on screen....a dlp inverter failing, i have found, is a common thing, and after checking around for pricing(usually 400 minumum just to get it looked @) my client decided to order the part himself, as i had first recommended.
15 minutes after he arrived the laptop was better than it was originally...
the only badside is that he could only get inverters in sets of 5...guess he won't have a scrren die for quite some time!lol
Anyway, i had first told him that it was the inverter, and going to repair shops and telling them this only got him funny looks. One even quoted him $1000 US. Less than $300 CAD later, his confidence in me has been renewed. We still have not figured out what caused all the crashes, and I have yet to try re-installing the OS...but that is next.
Old 2nd May, 2004, 03:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to scottman Send a message via MSN to scottman

clients r the worst want everthing right now just cause they paying money haha i give all my clients 10% over wholesale and they still try to get me to go lower them cheapo's i am like at lest 35% cheaper then every1 esle in my town
ATI HIS 9800 Pro IceQ BRAND NEW CARD REPLACED
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300
Housed in Thermaltake Xaser III 2000A
550 watt Antec True Control