AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th May, 2004, 11:21 PM

The Voodoo Machine

As some of you may know, I recently acquired a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP video card from Robbie, and have built a 'Classic' gaming machine with the card at it's heart. Below are the mostly complete machine specs:

AMD K6-2 500 processor 100mhz FSB
Diamond Micronics C200 SUper Socket 7 Motherboard
256 MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 64MB AGP video card
Adaptec 2940 W/UW SCSI card
2 Seagate 4.3 GB Ultarwide SCSI hard drives
2X2X24X Smart & Friendly CD Writer
Soundblaster AWE64 Gold sound card
Windows 98 SE
Voodoolizer 1.05 drivers

Supposedly these drivers are Directx 9 compatible - I'll be testing that theory as soon as I get some free time. So far I have been able to run a mess of old DOS games that act up under XP, and have been able to load and play the entire Wing Commander Collection. I also managed to run Sum of All Fears, which is a DX8 based game as far as I know (it's a dumbed down movie-license version of Ghost Recon). Should be interesting to see what I can do with the machine.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dolanenwindrift; 29th May, 2004 at 05:09 AM. Reason: additional system config info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2004, 12:21 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Can you try out Command and Conquer renegade? cos wheni was usin a voodoo 5500 i had problems playing renegade.

the computer i had the 5500 on, i don thave anymore. so i cant try it myself. :/

what about far cry? try it out on that
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2004, 01:45 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

How did those games work out that I sent you?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 29th May, 2004, 04:56 AM

Robbie - Was able to play most all of them. I especially enjoyed firing up Tomb Raider, although the graphics were nowhere as good as I remembered. Guess sometimes the memory is better than reality

piccoLEW - will try Renegade this week. As for far cry, that 500mhz machine probably would't run it even with an X800 installed

AOA Team fah
Old 29th May, 2004, 05:11 AM

Ok, got a question about the SB Live! cards - as I recall there was emulation for DOS sound (SB16). Does that emulation work if I actually boot the machine into DOS?Thinking of adding a 2 GB Hard disc just for DOS stuff, making the box multi-boot.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th May, 2004, 09:15 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

If I remember correctly, yeah a SB should work just fine.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 30th May, 2004, 02:53 PM

piccoLEW - While I was able to run Renegade, there were major issues with the graphics. CLipping, missing textures, etc. Tonight I will play around with the driver settings and see if I can correct the problem.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th May, 2004, 05:35 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccoLEW
Can you try out Command and Conquer renegade? cos wheni was usin a voodoo 5500 i had problems playing renegade.

the computer i had the 5500 on, i don thave anymore. so i cant try it myself. :/

what about far cry? try it out on that
Funny you should mention that... I've just discovered a Voodoo 5000 in my electronics graveyard I have no use for (the 5000 is the 5500 without TVO)
Old 30th May, 2004, 06:19 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

my 5500 only has the 'monitor hole' nothing else. So no TV-Out

I dont know why gfx cards come with a tv-out or a s-video connection :| I got a tv, vcr, cable box, dvd player if i want to watch tv or watch films, i'd rather watch them on my tv. Any extra activity on my computer means less processing power for folding
Attached Images

Old 30th May, 2004, 06:45 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
my 5500 only has the 'monitor hole' nothing else. So no TV-Out

I dont know why gfx cards come with a tv-out or a s-video connection :| I got a tv, vcr, cable box, dvd player if i want to watch tv or watch films, i'd rather watch them on my tv. Any extra activity on my computer means less processing power for folding
I'd like to build a shuttle box that will play DVD's in my girls room and use some type of wireless thing that I attach to my computer to there TV. I'm sure they got something at Radio Shack that will work don't they?
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 30th May, 2004, 09:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah, I believe they've got a box that will convert 640x480 to NTSC.
Old 30th May, 2004, 10:02 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie
I'd like to build a shuttle box that will play DVD's in my girls room and use some type of wireless thing that I attach to my computer to there TV. I'm sure they got something at Radio Shack that will work don't they?
Rob
Why not just use a VIA Eden for the job? The 800MHz version's fast enough to decode DVDs pretty smoothly, and some of them have TV out built in, plus a couple of PCI slots for a w-lan card. Much cheaper all round than the shuttle units.
Old 30th May, 2004, 10:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
Why not just use a VIA Eden for the job? The 800MHz version's fast enough to decode DVDs pretty smoothly, and some of them have TV out built in, plus a couple of PCI slots for a w-lan card. Much cheaper all round than the shuttle units.
I built one of those for a grandma friend. Not only does it have a TV out but it will boot and display a TV signal with no need for a monitor. It only has one PCI slot if I remember corectly, but it has onboard LAN and video and sound and processor. THey have no floppy connector. All you need is RAM and an HDD and PSU and you are up and running.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 31st May, 2004, 04:13 AM

Radio Shack also sells a device that takes VGA and converts it for component video - thus allowing higher resolutions and a much better display quality with text. Obviously you need a TV that had component video inputs. If I remember correctly the converter is $99 US.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2004, 04:25 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Link??
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 31st May, 2004, 05:14 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

check out www.mini-itx.com

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 3rd July, 2004, 10:38 PM
AOA Staff

Thanks for the link Staz.
Any updates to the voodoo box?!?!?
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 3rd July, 2004, 11:54 PM

Voodoo stuff

No updates at the moment, other than that I am having to scrounge some new hard drives. Had three SCSI drives, 2 failed so far :P . I did complete a dual power supply mod, but work has kept me tied up for the last several weeks.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th July, 2004, 12:16 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
I dont know why gfx cards come with a tv-out or a s-video connection :| I got a tv, vcr, cable box, dvd player if i want to watch tv or watch films, i'd rather watch them on my tv.
Some of us have DVR solutions based around digital TV tuners and a PC. Take a look at MythTV for example. My system is based around a single shuttle, although MythTV supports multiple 'frontends' that can stream from a single 'backend'. Put more than one tuner in a backend, and it can record multiple programs at the same time!
Old 4th July, 2004, 12:18 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Why not just use a VIA Eden for the job? The 800MHz version's fast enough to decode DVDs pretty smoothly, and some of them have TV out built in
Actually, there's a number of Eden boards that have an MPEG2 decoder in hardware, so the CPU doesn't have to do very much to decode the MPEG2 stream!