AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st July, 2004, 06:55 PM
AOA Staff

The human eye can only percieve about 30 fps, I think. So, if an ATI card achieves 60 fps and a nVidia card 65fps you can't see the difference anyhow. Cinema films/movies are only 18fps, but the frames look different to a CG frame.
Old 2nd July, 2004, 01:41 AM

Both ATI and nVidia have good cards out. I'll buy nvidia when I upgrade, simply because I have never been disappointed by thier products in the past. ATI doesn't have enough of a performance lead at this point to make me change my mind, and every time I think ATI I can't help remembering the Rage Fury Max....

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2004, 04:58 AM
Member/Contributer

well people are skeptical, i've been told that good pilots can see over 60 fps *eye roll* actually according to Beakman in action when you're not focusing on the refresh, your eyes can percieve a wopping 16 frames per second. The mind fills in the gaps much like it does on your blindspot. Given that we're all hardcore videophiles, we'd notice, but only when we're looking.
Old 3rd July, 2004, 08:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would tend to suspect that it rather depends on how much data you are processing. For example, I'll bet that if you focus your attention on a very small area, you can perceive much higher frame rates than if you are trying to take in all of a picture at once.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd July, 2004, 08:39 PM
AOA Staff

There's a good explanation of FPS, etc. here:
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm
Old 4th July, 2004, 01:37 AM
Member/Contributer

the wierd thing is i had a few friends arguing over what the realistic resolution of the human eye was, when i broke in feeling so smart and said "the human eye doesn't see in pixels, so you're both wrong"

I won that arguement, I wasn't even in it.
Old 12th July, 2004, 05:20 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
I think Gizmo is old technology.
See Gizmo I told ya, ya just seem OLD, your an old soul Gizmo! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th July, 2004, 05:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah but I wasn't around when the Almighty created dirt. That makes you older than me. LOL
Old 12th July, 2004, 05:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

and dirt! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 12th July, 2004, 06:21 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

the major difference right now between nvidia and ati is the gpu architechture...simply explained the gpu's have "registers" that can recieve a bit of data...the ati has one or two more than nvidia does....which because of architechtural design does not matter...as long as the coding is correct.

now, when microsoft decided to start DX9, they said to all the manufacturer's "come up with the language and the best is what we will support." strangely enough, microsoft seems to have gone with ati's structure...which uses those other registers....
the nvidia can totally cope...if the code is right. but as it stands, ati still has that slight advantage. this lead to the detonator5x.xx family, or whatever they call it now.

this may also be of interest.....
who was on the team who developed the code?....nvidia's disgruntled workers.

seemingly now the 6800 is supposed to cope with that....but the code is still quite optimized to ati's architechture...
people wonder why these games like halflife 2 and doom3 are being delayed....it's all about the dx9 structure and it's implementation. you have to remember tha most of these games were in the beginning stages of development before dx9 and because of the complete oppositeness ( and that is almost totally how most of the code is), these developer's are having to design almost 2 games in one. i'm glad i decided to steer clear of that feild.
and it's all about the pixel shaders...and i tell you..watch that ruby demo in person in an x800xt....it is far different than what you seen @ ati's site and on the downloadable one.

it was these things that led me to spending 1200 on 3 video cards...all of them ati.

Last edited by cadaveca; 12th July, 2004 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12th July, 2004, 04:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The whole DX9 thing is something that really frustrates me. It is very similar to what happened with DirectSound between DX6 and DX7. Microsoft changed what some constants meant, and all of a sudden software written for DX6 wouldn't run on DX7.

Companies say they don't write software for Linux because they don't want to have to support another OS. I am strictly a Windows developer right now, and guess what? I support 3 OSen right now!

Windows 9x
WindowsNT
Windows2000/XP

Add into that mix the various flavors of IE, DirectX, and service packs that are involved, and it quickly gets complex. I've got code scattered throughout ALL of my programs to deal with the vagaries of the various OSen.
Old 12th July, 2004, 04:42 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

lol i remember all that ... was about the time "descent" came out...