AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th January, 2002, 10:05 AM

Anyone converted a laptop LCD to PC?

I heard that it is possible to convert an old LCD screen from a laptop to work as a PC monitor. Anyone tried this? I am looking for a tiny portable unit for my Spacewalker.
Thnak you in advance--------------------GoSpeedRacer
Old 26th January, 2002, 10:43 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

If it's an old LCD then you might have a bit of difficulty. What you need to do is to trace the manufacturer of the unit and get the details of the connections for the LCD.

If you find that it uses a bunch of serial clocks and multiple bit inputs to generate the image, my suggestion would be to find someone else to make the interface module for it.

If it takes a standard RGB/VSync/HSync and power, then it'll be easy.

It all hinges on the LCD!

AidanII
Old 4th February, 2002, 10:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to majestic

i have a ancient one and when i dismantle it i found that there were about 25 different cables going all over the place good luck if you want it though and ure close leave a message and i will get back to ya

:.majestic.:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2002, 03:43 AM

Thank you for your help, but it looks like it may be a little much to convert the screen over. Any other thoughts on a bugdet screen or monitor? My next idea was just a simple 10" pos monitor, but I would like it to be more portable. Any thoughts?