AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th August, 2004, 06:04 AM

Radeon 9800 Pro troubles.

Hey there.

Been lurking for nearly a month now. Great site and forums.

Here are my specs:

PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe
A8V Deluxe Mobo
Athlon 64 3800
1 Gig Corsair XMS Ram (2-3-3-6-1T)
two western digital hard drives (80 & 40 IDE)
Audigy 2 sound card, before the zs one appeared
lynksys network card
plextor 708 dvd-burner
tosiba 1612 dvd-rom, flashed for region free playing.

Before, I had a ****ty nvidia Geforce 2 ti powering the bugger. A hold over from my old dell. I got around to buying the 9800 Pro. Installed it yesterday, and have had nothing but headaches. Mainly the games I play freeze up. I used driver cleaner when removing the old nvidia card. The symptoms mirror those complaints had about the old 9600 cards - where the hardware mouse was the culprit.

I'm using the 4.7 detonator drivers directly off of ATI's site.

Any clues as to what the trouble is? Thanks in advance.
Old 16th August, 2004, 02:23 PM

what exactly are your probelems?? blue screens? or frozen screens? or lines across the screen?
Old 16th August, 2004, 03:02 PM

sorry for not being specific enough.

problems:

- the games run okay when I play them, but when I go to the menu screen (say for example the server browser in Unreal Tournament 2004) the whole system freezes up. I cannot alt-cntr-delete my way out of it, having to do a reboot.

- from time to time, in Doom 3 and No One Lives Forever 2 the game freezes up then spews weird garbage across the screen. I shut it down then power it up again, afterwards results in the bios intro screen showing the same kind of garbage.

- After dvd viewing the comp freezes up after closing power dvd 5. Then the card stops sending a signal to the monitor and everything goes black.

I've gone so far as to uninstalling/driver cleaning the ati drivers as well, but eventually these problems keep cropping up. I've also changed out the power cord going to the card, swapping it with my dvd-rom drive power cord, same problems (while no trouble occured with the dvd-rom)...

I'm guessing I got a bad card or something and will be taking it back to the store for an exchange - first time I've ever had comp troubles like this since the introduction of directx.
Old 16th August, 2004, 03:26 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Have you got any kind of OC going on the video card or is it stock? Sounds like it is getting too hot and becoming unstable.

Welcome to AOA!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th August, 2004, 03:29 PM

No overclocking at all, plus airflow is great in the case (4 fans).
Old 16th August, 2004, 06:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to marcofra2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongycore
sorry for not being specific enough.

problems:

- the games run okay when I play them, but when I go to the menu screen (say for example the server browser in Unreal Tournament 2004) the whole system freezes up. I cannot alt-cntr-delete my way out of it, having to do a reboot.

- from time to time, in Doom 3 and No One Lives Forever 2 the game freezes up then spews weird garbage across the screen. I shut it down then power it up again, afterwards results in the bios intro screen showing the same kind of garbage.

- After dvd viewing the comp freezes up after closing power dvd 5. Then the card stops sending a signal to the monitor and everything goes black.

I've gone so far as to uninstalling/driver cleaning the ati drivers as well, but eventually these problems keep cropping up. I've also changed out the power cord going to the card, swapping it with my dvd-rom drive power cord, same problems (while no trouble occured with the dvd-rom)...

I'm guessing I got a bad card or something and will be taking it back to the store for an exchange - first time I've ever had comp troubles like this since the introduction of directx.
Try the Catalyst 4.6, I had all those troubles that you are saying with my 9800 pro after installing the 4.7. Try a format if nothing else works.
2x512 Ballistix DDR PC-3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts
Onkyo HT-S760, 750 Watts.

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th August, 2004, 05:18 AM

using 4.6 only added one more problem to the mix. Occasional crashing, black screen/no signal, occurences during web browsing. I gave the card back to Circuit City and got my money back.

I've been over to newegg, if cooling is an issue, or it was just a crap card to begin with, I think I'll try out those HIS Excalibur 9800 Pro cards instead.

Thanks though for the feedback guys.
Old 17th August, 2004, 05:22 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

What kinda Power Supply do you have?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 17th August, 2004, 01:44 PM

hehe u dont need to appologise :P and like deffo sounds like bad chip...the erorrs seem to random after everything that you have tried for it to be anything else...
Old 17th August, 2004, 07:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

If youve got a HIS 9800pro ICEQ you wont be dissapointed! Check my sig! Welcome to AOA
Old 18th August, 2004, 08:30 AM

robbie: I have a PC Power & Cooling 510 Deluxe PSU.

Razorfish: The IceQ is on its way. (and damn that's a nice overclock you got going on there)

Look forward to getting back into the games.