AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th August, 2004, 06:27 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ATI Viper gpu...any thoughts?

here's the Viper....
pci-x only...and no heatsink other than the heatspreader you see...the "M" logo os for the micron gddr3 used with the card.
Attached Images

Old 18th August, 2004, 06:30 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

what video card is this gpu attached to?
Old 18th August, 2004, 08:38 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

pci-x version of x800 i beleive....but all we can really call it is the viper...
don't know for sure. was leaked a while ago. i forgot abt it until recently....i was thinking on cooling for x800...it seems to me that like my asus card, any cooler that touches both memory and gpu are there to hamper performance intentionally. noone in thier right mind would put on such a bad cooling unit as what was on my card, unless they wanted the heat to blend for some reason, because it sure as heck aint efficient. i got better mem temps with no heatsink that with one attached...and could only get 395/365 outta my card. now my mem is a full 10c cooler, and i get 440....
i know that that is all fine and dandy, but you've got to understand that my card IS an 9800XT...but was sold as a pro. then i got my hands on the XT version....and the heatsink doesn't touch the memory. HUH? there's some weird engineering going on here possibly i thought. then i remembered this picture.....was in a pc @ Comtex in Taipei.
then i remembered that the r420 is like half the wattage of a 350/360. so why are the temps almost similar.
when the x800 was first released, it stomped on nvidia's current(at the time) competition. the 6800 was still just talk. we all know that most ATI cards are the same gpu, with higher voltages,...you've got the x50 family, and the x51...
so maybe i thought that this is just the pci-x version of the r420, and because it's on the pci-x bus, it requires less power to acheive the same performance....