AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2004, 03:49 PM

9800pro to 9800XT Flash files

Hi,
I've spent the last week looking through different forums and guides about this subject. It seems the most common problem is that people are flashing their cards and not unlocking the overdrive tab in the ati control panel. AFter reading through various guides and a little info from cadeveco I found out that it is possible to modify a 256mb xt bios into a 128mb xt bios suitable for 128mb pro cards.

So I downloaded Rabit bios editor which can be found here:

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/12-1-40.shtml

I then download an ati 256mb xt bios and a Sapphire 256mb xt bios from here:

http://www.hwspirit.com/downloads.php?for=ati

This link contains an extensive list of bios's for ati cards.

I then used rabit to edit both the ati and sapphire bios's into 128mb xt bios's, and it worked! I tried both of these bios's on my system and tested it using 3dmark 2003 at clock speeds of 450/390 and got a stable artifact free result of 7180, not bad for a 128mb 9800pro! The bios's also both give temp monitoring and unlock a fully functioning overdrive tab!!

So if anyone would like to use either of these files to flash their 9800 pro to an xt, pm me and I can send you the bios, flashing utility and a guide I have put together to help anyone wishing to carry out this process.

Thses bios's are only suitable for cards using the hynix memory and I would not recommend flashing any 350 cored card to an xt so ensure you have the 360 core and ensure it can cope with clock speeds of 418/365 before flashing. You will only unlock the temp monitoring and overdrive tab if your card is built on the xt pcb which can be found on both 128mb and 256mb pro cards.
If you aren't sure which pcb your card is using have a look at this link:

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...var1=92&var2=0

If you use the bios file on this link it will not unlock the overdrive tab as I found out.

If you have a card based on samsung memory then download the 256mb xt bios from the xt version of your card. The majority of bios's will say which memory type they are for when you download them, ie "Sapphire.256mb.hynix" or "Ati.256mb.samsung" etc. Once you have downloaded the correct 256mb bios type for your card use rabit to edit it to a 128mb bios. If you are unsure on how to do this, send me the bios and I will convert it for you and send it back to you as 128mb bios.

Hope this isn't old news.
60GB OCZ Agility 3
1TB Seagate barracuda 7200
MSI 670 GTX OC
Corsair HX620
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2004, 07:16 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure new members will find it very useful. Most people are worried about tampering with the m/b BIOS, let alone the GPU BIOS.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2004, 10:41 PM

This is aimed at all users, anyone who has had the same probs as I've had for the last week trying to find the correct bios and for someone who has never attempted it.
60GB OCZ Agility 3
MSI 670 GTX OC
Corsair HX620
Old 4th September, 2004, 10:57 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

RaBiT is what makes it so easy....you can even change mem timings, so should you decide to go the overvolting route, and want to get your mem working @ 400mhz properly and safely, you have to change the timings.

BTW, most of the hynix mem chips on these cards ARE 400mhz mem, but like is said, you need to change the timings AND THE VOLTAGE to get there. Most of these chips need 2,8v, but are only getting 2.65v, and that makes a big difference. either you give it more voltage(the mex temps of hynix chips are 75c) and not have to worry, or you have to give them extreme cooling to get there....personally, i'll change the voltage and timings.
Old 4th September, 2004, 11:14 PM

I've just clocked the card at 460/400 stable and no artifacts and got the 3d mark 2003 score on my sig. Exactly how do I volt mod the card? I think I was told somewhere that it's a matter of getting out a soldering iron. Also how would I know what memory timings to use?
60GB OCZ Agility 3
MSI 670 GTX OC
Corsair HX620
Old 4th September, 2004, 11:23 PM

1597 is the resistor that you need to draw the pencil line across i beleive....
just ckeck @ rojakpot. they have a full article on the voltmod.
the memory timing info can be found @ the OEM (samsung/hynic) website....do a little digging and you'll find it.
you'll probably have to enter in the numbers off of the chips themselves to get the document, but also to compare to what the settings are.
Old 4th September, 2004, 11:33 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Here you go.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...ar1=108&var2=0

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 8th September, 2004, 01:47 PM

whats the benefit of flashing bios rather then just overclocking the 9800 pro to xt speeds? (apart from over drive)
Old 8th September, 2004, 05:35 PM

differnet driver is installed...gives you better frame rates.
unlocks another pixel shader as well.

my 9800 pro @ 412/365 with pro bios getss me 43200 in aquamark....xt bios @ 412/365 gives me 44600...and 440/365, i broke 46012......
but my pro IS an XT with XT pcb and r360...so ...might as well make an xt an true xt, right?
Old 7th October, 2004, 01:57 AM

i have a Built by ATI 9800 pro 128 hynix memory, 360 core and am trying to flash to a 9800XT. I found a bios that I thought would work. However during the flash process it read that the the bios p/n was different and would need to use -f to force. My guess is that the bios I was going to use was from a different brand of card makers. I am unsure if that is ok. Can anyone help me?
Thanx.
Old 7th October, 2004, 05:33 AM

what pcb do you have?
does it have heatsinks on the voltage regulators?

when i flash:
flashrom -f -p 0 xxxxx.xxx

i have to force the flash as there is a small software lock on the bios.
Old 9th October, 2004, 06:01 PM

9800 pro to XT

thanks for the heads up on the -f force, it worked great!

At the moment i have flashed my 9800 pro to xt. Getting 5831 3dmark. I was getiing 5100 prior to flash. Now that may sound terrible, but.. considering i have an Athlon 1.33, 256 ram at 133, 4x AGP and motherboard doesn't support AGP Fast Writes. I am going to be upgrading when i can. But vid card was first choice.