AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th September, 2004, 12:25 PM

Unhappy It just goes from bad to worse - Radeon 9800 pro woes

Things just go from bad to worse !!!! Back to my trusty FX5200.

After the nightmare I had on Friday evening fitting my new heatsink and fan correctly, yes it took me about 30 minutes to lock the clip down as the PSU gets in the way – I eventually managed this using the curvature of a good old dinner fork. I noticed a temperature reduction of about 11C after a few hours use. Cool !!

I fitted my new Radeon 9800 pro got everything running nice and fine and had myself a good few hours playing Doom 3, till about 2 a.m.

Got up Saturday morning, booted up, loaded Doom 3, went downstairs to make coffee went back upstairs and the pc is as dead as the proverbial dodo !!

PANIC !!!

Tried to reboot the fan on the CPU wobbled a bit, the LEDs on the front of the case glow and the lamp that plugs into the USB port on the back (makes it easier to peer into the case) works fine. Something at least is getting power.
None of the case fans are operational neither is the fan in the PSU – so I’m thinking that my PSU has given up the ghost. I don’t know how these things work but I am presuming that in order to work correctly the 20 pins that plug intro the ATX mobo have to complete some sort of circuit in order for the power to flow, this would explain why the USB light worked but the case fans or the fan in the PSU did not.
Tried different power leads still no joy.
So Saturday evening I bought a new PSU a nice meaty 550 watt one!! Previous was 350 watts.

Sunday morning I disconnect all the cables where appropriate and connect the mobo, HDD with XP on, FDD and Radeon to the new PSU. Boot up and nothing, the screen looks like a patch taken from Joseph’s technicolour dreamcoat – blocks of lovely colour.

So, it looks like the Radeon’s had it.

To cut a long story short………..I’ve reinstalled my FX5200 and booted up the pc and it ran fine. For about 10 minutes then the mouse locked up. Tried to reboot since then and I’m getting post codes relating to loading IDE drivers and stuff, I reckon that either connecting all of the kit to the power, the other HDD the CDRW and DVDRW will rectify this if not then a CMOS rest should. I obviously have driver issues as well as I’m running my FX5200 as standard VGA hardware as I’ve not taken out the ATI drivers yet.

So tonight’s order of service will be, dismantle the case, put in the new PSU properly, reset he CMOS, boot up and remove the ATI drivers and install the NVIDIA stuff.

Hopefully this will sort it.

My question is twofold. We got there in the end.

What’s happened to my Radeon? Faulty?
Why did my PSU pack up? Old age? Radeon overloaded it?

Have they just blown each other up?

All replies much-appreciated etc. etc.

Cheers.

P.S. Anyone flogging an X-Box cheap ?? LOL

Oh why... oh why... oh why ? ? ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th September, 2004, 11:26 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

12v went on your psu, possibly taking out the vid card on the way, if your has the 12v connector...would explain why the case fans didn't start.
Old 7th September, 2004, 12:16 AM

Thanks Cadaveca.

Guess you could put it down to bad luck then !!

Just got the new psu hooked up and everything connected, reset my cmos any errors went away. just flashed to the latest bios and everything seems ok, using the fx5200 again now.

Sounds silly but this has sort of put me off the 9800 pro a bit.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th September, 2004, 03:48 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I know what it's like to have bad luck. I had a similer problem. My Antec PSU blew up taking my X800 with it.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 7th September, 2004, 08:09 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

did you make a claim to antec, pitch?
or did ya get an rma?
i love rma's....
Old 7th September, 2004, 09:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Thats scary the psu can take out the graphics card? what would you do then? get a replacement through ATi or from the PSU manufactures? im well and truely scared about that!
Old 7th September, 2004, 09:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Real sorry things went badly for you surgeon. We've all been there but I think losing Video cards hurts the most, does me anyway!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 7th September, 2004, 09:24 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeon
Got up Saturday morning, booted up, loaded Doom 3, went downstairs to make coffee went back upstairs and the pc is as dead as the proverbial dodo !!
Just a blind shot in the dark, but did you switch a kettle on when you went downstairs? Kettles do draw a good wack of power, about 3000 watts. Could there have been a power surge caused by the kettle? Slightly loose wire in the kettle's plug? I mean something must have caused this to happen.
Old 7th September, 2004, 09:28 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
did you make a claim to antec, pitch?
or did ya get an rma?
i love rma's....
Since I got both items from work at the same time, they were cool about it. We no longer do antec PSU's as pretty much half the batch were faulty.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 8th September, 2004, 11:03 AM

Definitely a shot in the dark, yes I would have put the kettle on, maybe the toaster, can't remeber if I used the microwave - 950 watts there, perhaps the fridge started up as they periodically do etc. etc.
I see where you're coming from danrok but most of the time when the pc's on someone may be making a drink, cooking etc. etc. Also the pc is surge protected - unfortunately not surgeon protected

Old 8th September, 2004, 01:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to scottman Send a message via MSN to scottman

I have a antec 550watt true Control it best PSU Video card Die I CRY remember when i overclocked my 9800 Pro to like Way pass a XT then Unoverclocked it 3 days later It died I cryed then sent it back and got a new one i wasn't Overclocking when it went
ATI HIS 9800 Pro IceQ BRAND NEW CARD REPLACED
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300
Housed in Thermaltake Xaser III 2000A
550 watt Antec True Control
Old 8th September, 2004, 03:37 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
I know what it's like to have bad luck. I had a similer problem. My Antec PSU blew up taking my X800 with it.

Now THIS hurts! Sorry to read this, Pitch!
Old 27th September, 2004, 02:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to benighted Send a message via MSN to benighted

My PC has an antec power supply.... it better not take out the 6800 I have coming. I've already lost a 9800pro to condensation drip.

Buy AVG Anti-Virus and Support AOA!!
AOA Team fah
Silent water cooled system:
Zalman Reserator 1.1
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2400MHZ
Epox 9NDA3+
2GB GSkill PC3200
Maxtor 10 SATA X2 RAID0
eVGA 6800 Ultra 256MB