AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th September, 2004, 09:32 PM

Trouble with 9800XT

ok got a new video card not too long ago, a 9800XT. Having some really random problems with it first off mobo is old and ****e im getting nf7-s and more stuff for an upgrade within the next few days but got the 9800XT first and been trying it out in me old pc. Now, the old ****e mobo has only got 4x agp i was wondering if this could be causing my problems not being given enough power of something along those lines (also psu is ****e cheap nasty thingy, if thats helpful) as far as i know it shud b ok running in 4x agp.

Anywayz my problems is my pc randomly freezing mainly during gaming but sometimes while webbing and sometimes just even when pc is on screen saver, now these games arn't particually demanding imo (sof2 and halo only games i can be assed to play the the moment).

Oh and one last thing brought the card off someone from these forums that i used to work with and its got the x800 (pro of XT cant remember and cant b bothered so crouch down and look at the card [thou im sure in the time i wrote this i could have found out]) cooler on it im planning on getting an artic cooler so this doesnt really bother me but could the cooling be causing the problem. i dunno how hot a 9800XT shud be running but mines saying 69C while idling just wondering if this is hot.
Old 20th September, 2004, 11:08 PM

What power is your psu? for a modern system with drives etc, you need at least a 350/400watt psu for running a 9800pro/xt. As for your temps I have a 9800pro flashed to xt (see sig) fitted with an artic cooler rev 3. My temps were around 62-65 degrees idle, but have now dropped to 54. I have 2 x 80mm case fans exhausting (plus psu) and 1 x 80mm +1 x 120mm fans blowing. I would seriously consider some case cooling.
60GB OCZ Agility 3
1TB Seagate barracuda 7200
MSI 670 GTX OC
Corsair HX620
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2004, 11:23 PM

ok ****y psu is 400w mercury got lian li pc61 (4 casefans) amd 2000+ palomino core akasa HSF with blue lights lol (it looks pretty) 1024mb ddr2100 samsung ram.

cpu idle 47c
case temp 30c idle

so i wud say its not exactly hot in there ???

any more ideas ???
Old 20th September, 2004, 11:37 PM

Is your system O/Cd? I had this problem occuring randomly when I pushed the fsb too high. As for the agp 4x I don't suppose you've searched for a bios flash? Not sure if that will unlock the agp 8x though. Your psu shouldn't be causing any probs, I've got a 400w in my sys. Try playing with fast write, see if that makes any difference, it can sometimes lead to instabilities. What is the setting for agp frequency in the bios? Xts don't like anything above 66Mhz apparently.
60GB OCZ Agility 3
1TB Seagate barracuda 7200
MSI 670 GTX OC
Corsair HX620
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th September, 2004, 11:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

What drivers are you using with the card, they are definatly the first place to start, older drivers aint to hot so you need to get upto date drivers and see if that helps, i suggest ati's catalyst 4.8 although my mate quite happily uses 4.9 with his asus 9800xt, ive had nothing but problems with 4.9 with my x800. I dont think its your PSU as my dad runs a 9800pro in his Shuttle small form factor with only a 270watt PSU. I think going with the arctic cooling rev. 3 is a great idea! just be careful when installing it and you should notice at least a 8 degree drop in temps! although hightech say they drop 11 degrees! Plus non of the hot air from the card is dump in the case as its throw out the back! Post you results, this ones got me intrested!
Old 20th September, 2004, 11:53 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

my r360 runs at 36c idle...but i have the zalman cooler as in my sig.

seems these mem chips do not need any extra cooling...actually had mine running fine playing halo for about 6 hours with a iceberqpro and no ramsinks(at which time it hit 61c max).
i'd be a little suspect of the cooler on the card, or improper thermal paste application. the r360 should have a max operating temp of 75c, so your temps seem a bit high. It's only the newer 420's that can go to over 100c, and this is because of the lower wattage of the gpu. BE CAREFUL!

EDIT: the XT runs more stably at 4x agp in some conditions. i would not be worried about the 4x agp setting, but make sure that your agp aperature is not over 128mb. If you can get it to work at 64mb(some mobo/vidcard combo's do not allow this) you'll be better off too. i actually get higher overclocks and benchies @ 4x agp with fastwrites than i do with 8x
Old 21st September, 2004, 12:13 AM

LOL seems sorted just but on overdrive and been playin sof2 for last 45mins only wudda lasted 5mins b4 freezing before was just looking thru the drivers and thought i'd stick it on well ta 4 ur help anywayz. no system isnt oc\ed im waiting for my nf7s v.2 1gb geil ram antec true power 400w psu (i think :\ ) and got a jiuhb 0310 1700+ i got from work 4 nuffin n heard they were good oc/ers so thought got sum spare cash i'll give oc/ing a go

half the reason i joined these forums ordered me stuff got me 9800XT and 160gb seagate HDD and thought u shud join up im probably gonna need alot of help oc/ing as i aint done it b4 lol
Old 21st September, 2004, 12:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Well you came to the right place, theirs some people on this forum who have a vast knowledge of PC and software so dont be afraid to ask. Oh and welcome to AOA