AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st February, 2002, 02:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SciShock Send a message via AIM to SciShock Send a message via Yahoo to SciShock

Is it just me? or did GeforceIII owners got ripped off

I bought the GeforceIII ti-500 for $350 on January 1st, now they're releasing a Geforce 4 which will be almost twice as fast as GeforceIII ti-500 and for the same price? What seems like to me is that the geforce 4 is really the geforce 3 but the geforce 3 now is just a beta version =P.. Geforce 4 is released like..2 or 3 months after geforce 3 came out, this is really unfair....
Old 1st February, 2002, 03:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Actually GF3 was introduced in march of 2001, The GF3 Ti series was then introduced 6 months later. This falls perfectly in-line with Nvidia's 12 Month new product introduction, 6 month product refresh, time table . . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st February, 2002, 07:54 PM
Banned

This might be of interest to you
Old 3rd February, 2002, 02:36 PM

I bought my geforce3 for £270 last April.
So its allready given me ten months of good service.

Im still playing most games in 1600x1200 and ive not had to overclock the card yet.

Im expecting to get at least another year of use maybee longer before I cant play new games at a reasonable level of detail and resolution.

In six months Nvidia will almost certainly release a Geforce4ULTRA or geforce5 and people will be in the same situation again.

At the moment technology is so far in advance of the avalable games that there are still no games that can stress me geforce3 a year after a bought it. I think that geforce4 owners will have to wait a similar ammount of time before they get the best from there new cards, obviously there will be something better out by then.

Ive seen geforce3's like mine on sale for around £160 so I havent realy lost too much through buying early. I had to buy something it was either a £150 geforce2 or the more expensive geforce3.

I dont feel ive been ripped off.

I would probably be a bit annoyed if id paid £350 for a ti500 a couple of months aggo.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd February, 2002, 02:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

I give up using my pc as a games machine when my tnt2 ultra started falling off the min spec list after only 18 months after me buying it, I'll stick to consoles that have a 3-5 year life span and cost less

Old 3rd February, 2002, 06:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SciShock Send a message via AIM to SciShock Send a message via Yahoo to SciShock

I spent $350 on my ti-500 and only had 2 months to mess arround with it... now i can get a geforce 4 4600 for the same price and yet a lot faster.. i hate this world...
Old 3rd February, 2002, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SciShock
I spent $350 on my ti-500 and only had 2 months to mess arround with it... now i can get a geforce 4 4600 for the same price and yet a lot faster.. i hate this world...
Thats a bit annoying.

just try to bear in mind that the Ti500 is a great card that will still be a top performer for a long time to come.

A geforce3 is total overkill on todays games so you wouldnt gain anything usefull from buying a Geforce4.

Can you tell the diference between 60fps and 150 ?
I think not.

Welcome to the forums.

Old 3rd February, 2002, 09:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

now is probably a bad time to mention I have two Geforce 3's and I paid nothing for them :-D
Old 4th February, 2002, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode
now is probably a bad time to mention I have two Geforce 3's and I paid nothing for them :-D
no, no it's not
Well I have a voodoo2 and I paid nothing for that either

Old 4th February, 2002, 01:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

I hope these aren't products of the trade forum :nervous:
Old 4th February, 2002, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ItHuNkPuNk
I hope these aren't products of the trade forum :nervous:
like anyone would be bothered if I jipped them out of a voodoo2 (trust me the guys not )

Old 4th February, 2002, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst

Can you tell the diference between 60fps and 150 ?
I think not.

!?!? were you being sarcastic??
Old 4th February, 2002, 05:39 AM
Banned

Quote:

I don't think he was, I cannot tell after about 40fps, some people's eyes are more sensitive and can see the improvement with higher framerates...

If you followed my earlier link you already know my opinion on this
Old 4th February, 2002, 01:31 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

40FPS is far too low... for me..

Remember that TVs manage between 50-60FPS, so consoles are set up to run at that rate where they can. Once you throw interlace into the mix, you're talking 25-30FPS for normal TV.

I've run 3D glasses in the past, and they absolutely require that you run VSYNC, otherwise things get very nasty, and you end up with a headache.

Not only that, but running 3D glasses reduces the power of the graphics card by just over half. Hence, running things in real 3D requires a graphics card that is just over twice the speed of everyone elses. Of course, when you're playing a game that supports 3D properly (another story there), then it's definately worthwhile.

AidanII
Old 5th February, 2002, 12:40 AM

i can tell the difference between 60 fps and 70...
Old 5th February, 2002, 12:51 AM

Quote:

No..not entirely.

What I meant was..

Is it worth paying another £300 to go from 60fps full resolution and detail to 150fps on the same settings ?

I dont think a geforce4 will be noticable better in any of the games im playing today, so im not going to buy one.

I do have 3d glasses too but as I have to drop the resolution to get a 120 refresh rate on the monitor I get fast enough FPS.

Old 9th February, 2002, 06:42 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Spode

OK everyone JUMP spode.

He won't be able to scream for help anyways!!! HAHAH

(I had mine taken out too)

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 9th February, 2002, 06:54 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

u cant tell anything more than about 30fps, TV runs at 24 and i cant detect a jerkyness to it at all.

remember an AVERAGE 40 FPS on a game probably peaks at 70 and its lowest is about 15 - 20, u can detect a slideshow effect at anything under about 20

an average of 70 FPS u wont ever notice slow down!

And spode has a pair of GF 3's i got a radeon review is taking shape at the mo!

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 9th February, 2002, 08:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A news item on Anandtech's front page today(Feb 9) points to an article saying that Nvidia plans to get rid of GF 3 inventory rapidly. How can folks live without brand new $500 Vidcards? I know I can't!