AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st October, 2004, 12:57 AM

ATI radeon 9800 pro or ATI x600 pro?

Hello everyone,

New guy here, so go easy on me

Anyway, at the moment i have an ATI Radeon 9600 and will be upgrading in about a month, and was wonder which of these 2 cards would be the best upgrade. Unfortunatly, i can't afford an x800 so i have to go with the next best card, and i would prefer an ATI card, haven't tried an NVidea card in a long while so not sure how they are.

Thanks in advance.

WEll, forget about the x600 just found out that you have to have a PCI express slot on your mobo and dont have one So, i guess it will be that 6800 pro, unless NVidea has something better in the same pricerange.

Last edited by vindrow; 1st October, 2004 at 01:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2004, 01:08 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrow
Hello everyone,

New guy here, so go easy on me

Anyway, at the moment i have an ATI Radeon 9600 and will be upgrading in about a month, and was wonder which of these 2 cards would be the best upgrade. Unfortunatly, i can't afford an x800 so i have to go with the next best card, and i would prefer an ATI card, haven't tried an NVidea card in a long while so not sure how they are.

Thanks in advance.

WEll, forget about the x600 just found out that you have to have a PCI express slot on your mobo and dont have one So, i guess it will be that 6800 pro, unless NVidea has something better in the same pricerange.

my 2 cents: go with 6800gt, i ya can.
Old 1st October, 2004, 01:09 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

GT is the best bang for buck, now doubt about that. They can easily outperform an Ultra with a little tweaking and for $100+ less. It works out well.

Welcome to AoA.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2004, 01:14 AM
Member/Contributer

the 9800 is better than the x600 which is the pci-express version of your card I believe so unless you had a pci-express board its a none issue. It won't be a massive upgrade from your 9600 though, probabally about 40% but it's still set to be left behind by upcoming games.
If I were you I would wait a while, overclock your 9600 for now which should give you a 15-20% boost and wait until the x800pro comes down in price it will be better in the long run because the 9800 series is gonna be just as out of date in 6 months as your 9600 is now

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 1st October, 2004, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
the 9800 is better than the x600 which is the pci-express version of your card I believe so unless you had a pci-express board its a none issue. It won't be a massive upgrade from your 9600 though, probabally about 40% but it's still set to be left behind by upcoming games.
If I were you I would wait a while, overclock your 9600 for now which should give you a 15-20% boost and wait until the x800pro comes down in price it will be better in the long run because the 9800 series is gonna be just as out of date in 6 months as your 9600 is now

Overclocking sounds like it might work for now, but can i do it with just the stock fan that came with the card or would i need to buy a better one for it?...and the Gt sounds like a good option as well...still have a month to decide so no hurry
Old 1st October, 2004, 12:45 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

the x600 is nigh on no faster than the 9600xt as the only difference is the former is pci-e the latter is agp.
However the X700 and nvidia 6600gt have just come onto the market and are rather rapid and are equal to the 9800xt in performance but alot cheaper, drawback is for now they are pci-e only. The ati 9800 is a good card, but atm a nv 6800gt is a good card, and the ati x800pro is also rather good and some can be unlocked to xt speeds.

K
Old 1st October, 2004, 02:34 PM
Member/Contributer

you should be ok with stock stuff, it will just mean you reach your limit faster, I've got a 9800se and it overclocks from 378/297 to 440/370 with no additional cooling
if yours is just the regular 9600 not the xt then theres a good chance it's got a fair bit to give
the gt is a fast card and for a reasonable price, it would be a much better option than a 9800 but then it costs the same as an x800pro
for now grab yourself a copy of atitool I think it's in the files section

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 4th October, 2004, 09:52 PM

9800 Pro

Shop around the 9800 Pro 256Mb version if you can, they have the r360 core
so its possible to flash the bios to a 9800 XT, there are a few around on the internet, and u can get a good price.

However, if u get 9800 Pro, then u can pick one up for around £110, although these are the OEM versions, still you can easily overclock the 9800 Pro to XT
speeds anyhow. Use a program like ATITool that will do most of the work for you, incrementing it step by step.

I wussed out when overclocking my card, (mainly as I just bought the card that day!! Give it a week and I will max it out) as I was just running the stock heatsink and fan, however I was suprised the core was up from 378 to 450, but suprisingly my memory was 410 and still climbing. At that point I wussed. I wasnt getting any artifacts, so I don't know what stopped me.

Well, anyway, it depends on what games your running, personally I would go for the 9800Pro, I made the mistake of buying a next generation but low end card with the FX5200, I am now happy buying top of the range previous generation cards...

If u like overclocking, and have a large back cat of games, then choose the 9800Pro, u have better chance of compatability with the old games, or ur waiting for games to use the features of the x600Pro, go with that. Just except its not going to be as fast as the x800...

If only money grew on trees.
Old 4th October, 2004, 11:31 PM

Correction!!! I have no idea where I got the figure of 410 from (Memory Core), im glad
I re-read my post! I actually got 360 and 450! (Nice even figures), but still I was wussing out!!!
Old 4th October, 2004, 11:33 PM

I think 410 was the first time I wussed out with the GPU speed!

Keep an eye on this post, no doubt youll see me burn my card out...
Old 6th October, 2004, 06:10 AM

And the winner is !!!

I just upgraded my system a few weeks ago.

My old system comprised of:

Asus P4P800 865pe chipset MoBo
2 X 512 PC 3200 ram
2 X 120Gb Maxtor sata drives
ATi 9800 pro 128 Mb video card
Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card
Plextor PX-712A DVD Burner
EnerMAX Noisetaker 470w power supply

All nicely fit into a Lian Li PC-V1000 Case

My new system is:

Asus P5AD2 premium 925X chipset MoBo
2 X 512 Corsair 1Gb PC/5400 XMS2 DDR2 PRO TwinX 675Mhz Platinum Series
2 X 120Gb Maxtor sata drives
Asus EAX800XT/2DT 256 Mb PCI-E video card
Plextor PX-712A DVD burner
EnerMAX Noisetaker 470w power supply

Same Lian Li case

My Point being when I upgraded I had purchased the Asus EAX600XT HTVD as the replacement for my Ati 9800pro and was amazed at how poorly the x600xt performed compaired to the 9800pro.

So i'd stay as far away from the x600 series as possible, and if you're considering going to PCI-E format and can't afford the hefty x800xt price tag you should take a very close look at the new Ati x700 series of cards, I believe that this new series of cards is as close to the 9800 series cards as you'll get , if not slightly better.

mrlecuyer
Old 6th October, 2004, 07:12 PM
Member/Contributer

yeah the x700's are quite good, they only have a 128bit ram bus but the core makes up for this and gives speeds usually above that of a 9800xt

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah