AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd October, 2004, 04:28 AM

Jetway ATI 9600LE incompatible with ASROCK K7V88 MOBO????

Hello everyone!! I am having a hard time with a Jetway ATI 9600LE AGP 8X Video Card and an ASRock K7V88 Motherboard. Here is the issue: Before installing an AGP Card the motherboard has a sticker, which states that you should not use a 3.3V AGP card in the slot. I was never warned about this before I bought it from newegg, but that's in the past now. Anyway, I am having a hard time trying to determine if the 9600LE that I am using in this board is 3.3V or 1.5V. I have looked everywhere on the web and the manufacturers website for an answer. I put the card in the machine and it worked great until I tried to play a game. Then it would either kick me off the game back to windows within 30 seconds of starting actual game play or it would lock-up on me. I don't know if this activity is because of the voltage or what because when I replaced the card with an older Sapphire 9100 series ATI card it played the games fine. I am trying to figure out if it is the voltage or maybe a defect in the card that is the problem. I did notice that the two cards are keyed differently. And I have heard that this will make a difference. However, correct me if I am wrong but I thought that 3.3V AGP cards are older cards and most new cards are 1.5 or 0.8V. So, I am at a loss as to what is going on. Can someone help me find out if this card is 3.3V or why for some reason it does not want to work with this board.

Thanks, Steve
Old 23rd October, 2004, 04:50 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Hi steve, welcome to AOA!

The first thing I can suggest is to flash the BIOS

The latest one can be found here. It seems that there is some issues and a AGP fix is part of the BIOS update.

Note this is only the BIOS file, you will need a flashing utility. If you don't have on, or don't know how to flash the BIOS, then let me know and I'll post you some instructions.

Good luck.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2004, 05:30 AM

Thank you for the tip. I saw that posted as well. I just didn't know if that would do the trick or not. Well, I guess there is only one way to find out. If you could give me instructions on how to flash the bios it would be appreciated. I did it once a while back and I remember you have to make a dos boot disk, but I can't remember anymore than that.

Thanks again for your repy, I hope this works.

Thanks, Steve
Old 23rd October, 2004, 05:46 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Well I'm not too familier with the BIOS that Asrock use, but here are the instruction straight from their site.

http://www.asrock.com/support/index_BIOS_INS.htm

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2004, 06:23 AM

Hey, thanks a lot I am going to try and flash the bios and hope everything will turn out well.

Thanks for the help!!! I will keep you posted!!

Steve
Old 23rd October, 2004, 07:23 AM
AOA Staff

Good luck.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 23rd October, 2004, 08:55 AM

Well, I flashed the BIOS and that was successful, however it did not fix the problem. Now everytime I even think about starting a game I am kicked off and the VPU Recovery has to send an error report. I wonder if it is the voltage thing that I mentioned in earlier postings or if the card is defective. It is just strange that the 9100 series AGP card works great but this stinkin 9600 series does not. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks again for all the help,

Steve
Old 23rd October, 2004, 05:20 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

What drivers are you using?
Regarding voltage, your assumption is correct. 8x and 3.3v don't mix. Yours is probably 1.5v.

The drivers are probably the cause. The older radeon you have does not have nearly the features of a 9600. As a result, everything is disabled. When you have the 9600 plugged in, some of those features are being enabled and are probably crashing the card. I'd suggest looking and driver version, and looking for one with stability. I have a pair of 9600's, and they work fine using the latest Omega drivers. If you keep getting problems, you may want to turn down some settings.

Good luck.
Old 23rd October, 2004, 10:04 PM

Hello Steve thanks for the reply. I thought that it might be the drivers as well, but I tried so many different ones and the result was the same. I first tried the latest Catalyst from ati's website, didn't work. Then I tried using the driver disk that came with the card, that didn't work either, same thing happened. Then I tried the latest Omega drivers and unfortunately they didn't work either. I am at a loss here and am contemplating sending the card back and maybe going with a Geforce FX5200 or FX5500. I would like to adjust the settings like you said, but I don't know which ones to adjust for optimal performance. I don't know if you mean the settings in the Omega display options or for the individual games. It seems that no matter which game I try it does the same thing. Please, if you could give me some pointers as to what you would adjust that would be great. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Steve
Old 23rd October, 2004, 10:54 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ASUS boards require overvolting of the AGP bus to get ATI cards working right. I'm not sure what to RMA, my ASUS vid card, or my motherboard...
I have to have my AGP voltage on my A7v880 to 1.6 just to get stable @ any fsb speed, and with no overclocking if either the vid card or the cpu. I've currently set it to 1.7v...this is going to kill my vid card, but with a 3- year warranty, I'll RMA the card when the time comes.(when i finally get all my parts for my new system)