AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st October, 2004, 01:24 AM

Thumbs up First overclock

Hi,

(first post, be kind)

I've just completed my first overclock and i thought i'd share it with you all, for two reasons;

a, You can all have a laugh.

b, I can hopefully get some feedback and advice.

Ok details,

Asus A8V deluxe
AMD A64 3500+
X800 pro vivo
1024 Samsung DDR

To which i added,

Thermaltake xp-90 w/ 92mm fan
Arctic cooling rev 4
New case w/ 4 x fans

X800 was pretty straightforward, (apart from spreading AS5 over the majority of visible circuitry made for a worrying power on)

I was sadly lacking in research however, when it came to heatsink removal. I removed the retaining clips to find that the heatsink wasn't budgin' (pc was cold, D'oh) i carried on unpeturbed, feeling a bit of give and assuming it would just pop off, it did, cpu still attached, oops.

It was at this point that I did my research and discovered that I needed to run the pc to heat up the sink to aid in removal, but if I can't remove the heatsink, then how can I re-insert the cpu? Aargh, a vicious circle!

Ever resourceful, I bumbled on and eventually succeeded (after spending half an hour trying to remove it with a razer blade, as per A64 IHS removal, What? Easy mistake to make...) in separating the two with judicous use of a cigarette lighter and flat head screwdriver.

Mission accomplished i proceeded on to overclocking my video card. (cpu is for another day, more research required! And I thought i'd let it live a while longer, after it's close shave!) I used ATItool and ran the "find max" for core and memory;

Core - 528
Memory - 571

Temps
Idle - 37
Load - 50

Which resulted in;

3DMark05
Before - 4537
After - 5177

Aquamark
Before - 60,015
After - 63,173

Which I am most pleased with! Your comments would be appreciated, sorry if it was a little l o n g.

Old 31st October, 2004, 02:17 AM
Member/Contributer

you may want to look at the drivers available here:
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
they are tweaked versions of the ati ones and offer performance boosts, they also offer A.I. functions without the .Net control centre
is that an x800 pro or xt by the way?
as for your cpu it will probabally go up to about 2.6ghz but you'll see little benefit with that, I would settle for stock and see about getting it cooled quietly

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2004, 08:01 AM

I agree with Graham. The 3500+ i believe is around 2.4GHz and the max I've seen on most are 2.5 to 2.6 with some tedious tinkering and cooling. Can't really give any advice on the graphics OC. Looks pretty good. You might be able to get a little more out of it, but it'd hardly make a difference in performance from what you have it at now.
Old 31st October, 2004, 10:20 AM

3500+ runs at 2.2GHz, if I can get it to 2.6 on the thermaltake xp-90, without messing around with voltages and stuff, then i'll be happy. I'm not too clear on cpu overclocking though, so i'll have a good read up before i proceed.

The card is an X800 pro vivo, i'm gonna try soft modding it to an xt sometime next week. Omega and DNA drivers are on my 'to-do list', i'm liking the 4.11 beta's i'm on at the moment, but if the others are better then it's all good.
Old 31st October, 2004, 03:25 PM
Member/Contributer

to overclock the processor you just raise the fsb. Make sure you lock the pci/agp ratio to 33/66mhz and then slowly bring it up. If you have multiplyer options in your bios then you can lower them but not raise them, so you for example could have the same speed you have now by running at a 10x multiplyer and a 22mhz fsb. I'd start it at a 220mhz fsb with the default multiplyer which would give you 2.42ghz, this should be ok but if not then back it off 5mhz and try again. Once you've established 2.4ghz is stable then raise the asb in 2mhz increments until you loose stability

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st October, 2004, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
to overclock the processor you just raise the fsb. Make sure you lock the pci/agp ratio to 33/66mhz and then slowly bring it up. If you have multiplyer options in your bios then you can lower them but not raise them, so you for example could have the same speed you have now by running at a 10x multiplyer and a 22mhz fsb. I'd start it at a 220mhz fsb with the default multiplyer which would give you 2.42ghz, this should be ok but if not then back it off 5mhz and try again. Once you've established 2.4ghz is stable then raise the asb in 2mhz increments until you loose stability
Thanks for that.

Any idea if the A8V has an AGP lock? I know it was supposed to but i've read a few things that said there was stability problems with the lock and that it would be released in a BIOS update?
Old 31st October, 2004, 07:46 PM

Some motherboards implement locks badly (common for NF3-150) and usually release updates to correct this problem. From what I've read on the ASUS A8V, it has them but Rev1 boards are 50/50 when it comes to working locks. Rev2 should all be working. You can use CPU-z from www.cpuid.com to find out what rev you have.
Old 1st November, 2004, 03:45 AM
Member/Contributer

even without the lock I think you should be able to get it to 2.4ghz unless you use a few pci cards

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd November, 2004, 09:52 PM

Well, i've still not touched the cpu, but i've just flashed my x800 pro to xt pe -16 pipes, 520/560.

Aquamark - 64012
3DMark05 - 5814

Going to try an improved bios, which overclocks better and see what I can get out of it.
Old 3rd November, 2004, 10:16 PM
Member/Contributer

I think I'm gonna have to get one of these x800pro's, I thought I'd be happy with my all-in-wonder 9800se but I want a freeview tuner and it's just not fast enough
I'm gonna have to hide my wallet I guess

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd November, 2004, 10:58 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilfish
Going to try an improved bios, which overclocks better and see what I can get out of it.
make surethe your AGP fastwrite feature is off. This will help you OC further.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 4th November, 2004, 12:58 AM

I tried flashing to the Ati X800 XT PE, but got crazy artifacts @ stock speed.

Reflashed to previous Gigabyte 800 XT PE, no artifatcs, but won't oc past 530/570 (AGP fastwrite off).

updated mo/bo BIOS to 1007 and used AI overclock 10%

Aquamark - 68,440

not tried 3DMark05 yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I think I'm gonna have to get one of these x800pro's, I thought I'd be happy with my all-in-wonder 9800se but I want a freeview tuner and it's just not fast enough
I'm gonna have to hide my wallet I guess
i bought the ATI X800 pro vivo from microdirect.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...58&GroupID=336

They're out of stock at the moment though