AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th February, 2002, 06:50 PM

Radeon gets cheaper

Copied shamelessly from [H]ardocp

ATI introduces RADEON? 8500LE into powerful retail lineup

RADEON 8500LE offers high-end features for mainstream prices

MARKHAM, Ontario, February 4, 2002 - ATI is refreshing its lineup of RADEON? graphics cards, bringing exclusive features and adding a shot of adrenaline to the performance mainstream segment - at an unbeatable price.

ATI will now offer a retail graphics board featuring its RADEON? 8500LE chip. Based on the award winning RADEON? 8500, and priced at an unprecedented $199, the RADEON 8500LE is the first and only graphics card to bring full hardware DirectX® 8.1 support to mainstream users, allowing them to enjoy the same leading-edge features and effects previously the exclusive domain of enthusiasts.

The mainstream segment is generally defined by price point. Consumers are eight times more likely to purchase a graphics card that costs between $100 and $199, than a card that costs between $200 and $299 (1).

"With graphics cards performing at levels unimaginable even one year ago, quality-enhancing features are more important now than ever," said Rick Bergman, Senior Vice President of Marketing and General Manager of Desktop at ATI Technologies Inc. "We are focused both internally, with our product teams, and externally, with developers, to ensure that our products enable the best visual and gaming experiences ever."

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2002, 08:09 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

From what I read, the Radeon 8500 is one heck of a Vidcard. I also read that people have big troubles with drivers for it. Isn't this ATI tradition? Crummy drivers?

Btw, how is it pronounced? "Raid-ee-on?" or "Raid-on?" TIA.
Old 4th February, 2002, 08:21 PM

From everyone I know, it's pronounced "Ray-Dee-On".

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th February, 2002, 10:00 PM

Question

Cloasters:::If you will the read the write ups by Anandtech and others you will plainly see that the drivers for the Radeon 8500 and the GF3Ti200/500 are virtually the same in quality.

That tells me that the driver development is equal in quality and performance. Actually the retail 8500 will out pace the GF3Ti500 in most areas. And certainly have a much better screen. The colors, and clairity is significally better than the nVidia drivers.

And the old stuff that new drivers for the Radeon as so slow in coming---They have produced over 10 revised and new drivers in the past 90 days. At present I am using the 9016 driver. These were just put up for download this week.. Sure most of these drivers are "Beta" and this is another area that most persons that are not aquainted with the Radeon cards gripe about. You will find these beta drivers are really good. Where else would ATI get the drivers to certify and put on thier site. nVidia has beta drivers too, they don't just dream up this stuff.

It's gonna be interesting since Hercules has taken over the main manfacture and distributation of the Radeon 8500 and up line of vid cards. I have used some Hercules cards and they are great quality. I do understand the GF3Ti200/500 line they have been supporting, have had some compatability problems.

As of now the Radeon is the most desired vid card in the world. And with ATI contracting more major manfactures arround the world, they will probably equal nVidia in sales pretty soon.

So you really shoud get one. They are lower in price than the GF3Ti500's and outperform them overall.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 6th February, 2002, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
From what I read, the Radeon 8500 is one heck of a Vidcard. I also read that people have big troubles with drivers for it. Isn't this ATI tradition? Crummy drivers?

Btw, how is it pronounced? "Raid-ee-on?" or "Raid-on?" TIA.
I pronounce it raid-ee-on as well.
Old 6th February, 2002, 02:38 AM

Question

Like they say "Don't knock it until you try it"
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 6th February, 2002, 02:44 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by BobyJo
Like they say "Don't knock it until you try it"
How says that, dude

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 6th February, 2002, 02:00 PM

Question

Superman:::It is so good to see people that live according to the scriptures. This family has been in the church since very young. God bless you and yours.

There are so many people that do not understand that Jesus came here and lived a short time, but left a perfect example of how we should strive to live our lives also.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 18th February, 2002, 07:10 PM

ati is just slow on driver release well not that slow realy sence ive had mine ive updated my driver like 6 or 7 times for my 64 ddr vivo.
In all honesty ive never had all that any isues with their drivers.
I was beta testing one game that had crash isues related to ati but that was game side problems turns out the game had only dx8 support enabled but they had been working on ogl support as well some how on one update some ogl cals where made at the same time as dx8 and caused crashes with ati primarly but also bit nvidia and other cards as well just not as much.
Also note i have been beta testign games both 3d and 2d iso mmorpgs for a while and this is the only game i ever had system lock up problems with all on my ati card
Old 18th February, 2002, 11:57 PM
Banned

Nova's right, much of the time it's the game's fault... though ATI should be taking it upon themselves to correct it as they are the ones looking bad in any instance where something doesn't run.
Old 19th February, 2002, 01:53 AM

Question

Pinky::Glad to see you have the Epox system up and running.

How do you like it? Have you had any issues with the board?

The only problem I had was the bios chip, and my board was one of the first produced.

I understand the new ones seldom have any problems at all. This mobo is one of the best performers of all the KT266a's out even now with the new Abit and Soyo.

I understand Epox is coming up with an Epox KT266a type w/raid. I know raid really helps in data transfer, I just am not sure it is worth the extra cost of the equipment.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 19th February, 2002, 02:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to turbo dan Send a message via Yahoo to turbo dan

Quote:
Originally posted by nova
ati is just slow on driver release well not that slow realy sence ive had mine ive updated my driver like 6 or 7 times for my 64 ddr vivo.
In all honesty ive never had all that any isues with their drivers....
Which driver's are you using now? I have tried a few but still find the original ati winxp updated drivers to be the best for me. 3276's

AOA Team fah
Old 19th February, 2002, 02:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to turbo dan Send a message via Yahoo to turbo dan

I just saw an add last night for a radeon 128Mb 8500. If I can find it again I'll post it. With that coming out it would make sense that the price would go down for the 64Mb 8500.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th February, 2002, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by turbo dan

Which driver's are you using now? I have tried a few but still find the original ati winxp updated drivers to be the best for me. 3276's
im useing the 6015s now they did introduce a very minor isue with one beta game i play lighting is off a bit flashes some times games do for a patch in a week or so so ill revisit this thread or create a new one with a update on the isue.
I recomend the driver right before this one.
Heh funny thing bout the ati 128 meg 8500 im a regisered developer with ati do to my game project and made mention of the fact i was a tad wary of buying a new card as of yet do to the fact there was other manus out with 128 meg cards out and i was gona wait till a 128 meg radeon came out to get one and low and behold ati releases a 128 meg card heh
Old 19th February, 2002, 05:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Pinky::Glad to see you have the Epox system up and running.

How do you like it? Have you had any issues with the board?

The only problem I had was the bios chip, and my board was one of the first produced.

I understand the new ones seldom have any problems at all. This mobo is one of the best performers of all the KT266a's out even now with the new Abit and Soyo.

I understand Epox is coming up with an Epox KT266a type w/raid. I know raid really helps in data transfer, I just am not sure it is worth the extra cost of the equipment.
Not to get too far off subject, but I love it. It's the version 2 board, absolutely no issues and mega fast

Went from 4000 3dmarks to 4259 with only the cpu/motherboard upgrade
Old 19th February, 2002, 02:16 PM

Question

If I remember correctly the best score I had with the Radeon 64 VIVO se was in the high 3900's. You are higher than I was.

I use Win98se because of some hardware problems with Win XP. Have not loaded Win2000 in a couple of years. Probably the best OS foe me out of the ones I have is 2000.

Since we have two systems, I feel better if the same OS is on both systems. Just haven't felt good enough to do the upgrade on both systems.

It is good you are venturing into the AMD world. I believe it is has the most bang for the buck of all processors.
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 19th February, 2002, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Since we have two systems, I feel better if the same OS is on both systems. Just haven't felt good enough to do the upgrade on both systems.

It is good you are venturing into the AMD world. I believe it is has the most bang for the buck of all processors.
AMD has convinced me of its worth, that's for sure.

I use XP Pro on both of these systems below, absolutely no issues (but then again, I run update/patch them as soon as I'm done installing).
Old 20th February, 2002, 01:22 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

"Ray-dee-on" it is. Thanks for the information, all! To be fair, drivers are perhaps the biggest pain of all. Nvidia's have caused me grief. Perhaps I'm reluctant to take on a different brand of driver headaches?

The 8500 consistently produces better graphic quality than many or even most of the GF's. Nearly all reviewers agree on this. Nvidia has done me no favors by sub-dividing their Vidcards into Titanium this and tyranical that. GF 3 "20223." How does it compare with a GF2 "20223?" Hardware manufacturer's pull this "same model-different name" and "different model-same name" horse apple stuff all the ding dong time. And I'm sick of it!
Old 20th February, 2002, 01:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
If I remember correctly the best score I had with the Radeon 64 VIVO se was in the high 3900's. You are higher than I was.
If you thought 3900 was high, check this score out!

Combination of these drivers and my new setup.
Old 20th February, 2002, 03:15 AM

I my self dont waste time with bench marks they arewhen it come right down to it meaning less.
I just rolled back from thoose drivers do to graphical glitches in earth and beond stress test.
seen a fps increase with the newest betas but the cost to visual quality was to high.
If it hadnt been for xp id have stood a fair chance of being basicly screwed heh.