AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th February, 2002, 10:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

How I destroyed a $200 vid. card

Please pay special and close attention to these details. It may save someone else from a horrible experience. It may also result in someone giving me some advise that may help my problem.
I installed a new Radeon 8500 a couple of weeks ago and all is fine and I Love it. Well...I decided to get frisky and to install those little heatsinks on the mem chips. I bought them from Highspeed PC.
I installed eight of them on the mem and I installed another one on the regulator chip. In addition, I popped off the fan and heatsink from the GPU using the credit card trick. I then installed a new Blue Orb onto the GPU. All of this was installed using the NEW Arctic Silver Alumina adhesive. This adhesive is supposed to be a pure insulator and is supposed to have ZERO conductivity and no capacitance. I verfied this speaking directly with the people at Arctic. I used this product because it is very forgiving and if you get overflow onto the mem traces, it will matter not and makes no difference. SO I was not very careful when doing the job and there is in fact a small amount that got on a few of the traces. Keep that in mind as a possible problem!
There appears to be NO overflow on the GPU traces or on the regulator traces. Just a little on a few of the mem chips.
I installed the board and re-installed it over and over and the board is a mess. The colors are all crazy. I can see heavy pixleing.
There also appears to be some sort of static on the screen. IN short, it looks like ****. It dropped my Mark3D02 scores from 8011 to like 5000. The problem has to be either the GPU heat sink, or the mem heat sinks??? I don't know. Has anyone ever had this problem. This is horrible. this is a 200 dollar board that I have trashed.
Either I somehow slid one of the heatsinks over too far and it is shorting out again one of the traces (although I think they come out slightly lower than the top of the chip), or I have botched the install of the GPU fan and h/s. ATI told me to take a hike and said they wouldn't even fix it if I paid them. The guys ar Arctic told me that it may have been caused my static charge. Possible but I doubt it.
I am lost and feel absolulety horrible. Help! Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2002, 03:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Hm... wierd thing... All I can say is make sure you got everything seated well, all the wires making good contact, and how hot does the card get? Like can you feel the warmth by touching the heatsink. (careful though, don't burn yourself )
!!!!Leafs are still #1!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2002, 04:38 AM
Banned

First impression, based on the static lines on the screen I'd guess the memory is the culprit... usually overheated cores just freeze everything up.
Old 7th February, 2002, 07:33 AM
AOA Staff

contrary to popular beleif, almost any epoxy will hose your mem chips if you smear it all over the connects, ask Daniel, he knows first hand
Old 7th February, 2002, 08:00 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

yeah dude. Try some nail polish remover and get that stuff off your mem traces. I hope it works out for you.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 7th February, 2002, 02:28 PM

Not sure if I would take nail polish remover to it, but I would get a electronics cleaner/degreaser and hose it down, dry it out, and try again.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 7th February, 2002, 08:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to thehandler

Urgent plea

I am in desperate need of that heatsink and fan assembly that comes standard on the Radeon 8500 card. As we all know, it is very common for guys to pop this off and install in it's place a better cooler such as on Orb or something else.
The reason I need it is that I have to send my card back for warranty as I found the problem. A little capacitor had come loose and was not soldered on properly and it is way too small for me to dick with. I want to send my card back for warranty repair or exchange but if I do not put that original fan back on it so that it doesn't look like it's been modified, they will not fix it under warranty. I threw my old one away as it is of no value.
Now I would be willing to pay someone a fair price to give me their old sink and fan but it must be that original one. Can ANYONE help, please???? Mike
PC-3200 2 gig. G.SKILL cas 2 with Heatspreaders.
HIS Radeon XP1650GT/512 GDDAN-R ICEQ RTL.
WD SATA Raptor 150GIG
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.
PSU 700W GameXStream RT OCZ700GXSSLI.
Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A Case.
21” Samsung LCD monitor.
LOGITECH THX Z-5300 5.1 surround.
XP-PRO OS.
Old 7th February, 2002, 09:02 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I'm glad that you found the real problem. I'm not too much of a pack rat. Except with PC components. If it isn't broken, don't throw the part away! Let's see.. I saved the ultra-weeniest 40mm fan that came with the Elsa GF256. This thing couldn't move goose down--but I still have it.

A member with micro-soldering skills may be able to fix the loose capacitor on your ATi Vidcard. Don't give up the ship too soon.
Old 8th February, 2002, 12:01 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

You near st louis missouri? If so i may be able to solder it for ya. Just email me and we can chat.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 8th February, 2002, 05:30 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
You near st louis missouri? If so i may be able to solder it for ya. Just email me and we can chat.
Wow, that was lucky. His location says St. Louis, and so does yours!

BTW, St. Louis is a very nice city. I went there for an 8th grade trip and had a ton of fun.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 8th February, 2002, 02:17 PM

I was going to say, it may be cheaper to get it resoldered than to buy a replacement HSF for it.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 9th February, 2002, 06:49 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Yeah dude, resoldering is easy. I do it all the time. Usually on the Start buttons on copiers.

People press down way to hard and brake the solder joints. I just go in and reheat them up and viola, it works again.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah