AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th December, 2004, 06:00 PM

cannot decide...

hey guys i havent visited these forums in a while...

but i hear its a good place to get your problems solved

**the problem**
the new 6600 GT agp gfx cards are very good for mid range, the thing is
there are many brands. And i do not know which one to buy. i want one with a good as hell warranty. im talking bout like if something happens to the gfx card.. it can get replaced with same gfx card or if not in stock the company will replace it with a better gfx card.. i heard bfg has a life time warranty but i cant seem to find any BFG 6600 gt agp cards online to buy... even though at the bfg website it says they sell em. i wont spend more than $230(without tax)

this is what i found on newegg..

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...122-206&depa=0 << leadtek 6600 gt agp

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-080&depa=0 << XFX 6600 gt agp

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-107&depa=0 <<< Chaintech 6600 gt agp

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...140-048&depa=0 <<<< apollo 6600 gt agp

Please tell my what you would rec. from your own experiance and knowledge of these brands.. also i would like to know which has the best warranty and doesnt have that funny buisiness like "if we dont have the item in stock your wannarty is no good" thx guys
Old 30th December, 2004, 06:12 PM
Member/Contributer

If the games bundle of the XFX appeals to you (X2 Is a pretty good game) then I'd recomend that, otherwise I'd say go for the leadtek as it's the cheapest
one thing to note is the Chaintech has slower memory than the others, if memory serves me the referance agp 6600gt only has 900mhz ram (compared with the 1ghz for the pci-e card) but most manufacturers use 1ghz ddr3

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st December, 2004, 12:26 AM

well... thx allot. for your fast reply but i need to know about warranty. Does anyone knwo about any of these or read reviews about em? Does anyone know about the warranty?
Old 31st December, 2004, 12:43 AM
AOA Staff

If you are buying from NewEgg read this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/warranty.asp

You'll also need to check the manufacturer's warranty.
Old 31st December, 2004, 01:25 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

just make sure the one you get is SLi-ready...ah crap nevermind you are going AGP.
Old 31st December, 2004, 03:04 AM
Steve Jobs

Both the leadtek and the XFX are very good. chaintech have been dodgy in the past and apollo? umm they were making rocket ships last time i checked :\

like graham said the XFX has an exceptional bundle of *new* stuff rather than relic demos from the geforce 3 days and also has a *very* good reputation warranty wise at least among people i know with XFX 6800GTs. relative newcommer, solid company, gonna be around a while i think.

though its outside the 4 u mentioned see what BFGtech has because they have a *dont ask, dont tell* lifetime warranty on everything. they replaced a 6800Ultra OC of mine that was covered in UV reactive blue dye from a burst water cooling clamp and glowing in the shop as i returned it (with no HSF on it). now thats warranty for the overclocker
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd January, 2005, 07:28 AM

so these are basically the same cards? which one has the best overclocking potential? what brand i mean? or what company is known for good oc'ing and stability and reliablity... my 5200 ultra blows at 341/668mhz
Old 3rd January, 2005, 08:34 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Personally, i'd get a BFG. Lifetime warranty. That's 2 words that have me sold on any Nvidia graphics product. All cards are overclocked right in the box by bios...makes them a bit faster.

Really tho...unless you plan for another upgrade in the near future, I'd save the cash for a 6800GT AGP....max out the system. Gig of ram, and a mobile AMD chip...nice gaming.
Old 3rd January, 2005, 05:13 PM
Member/Contributer

I'd recomend the standard 6800, its much cheaper than the GT and you get most of the performance
a few cards have 900mhz memory and with some luck the extra pixel pipelines will unlock and you will have 99% of the performance of a GT

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah