AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th January, 2005, 06:53 AM

Update on the Voodoo project

Well, the end of 2004 was erm..... interesting. One dead Pickup truck, an unpleasant trip back East and no time for PC projects. Oh and the motherboard I was planning on using for this project crapped out. SO I am rethinking the whole project, looking like I will be going back to the K6-2 500 for this one. More details when I actually get something accomplished

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th January, 2005, 07:14 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I might have a K6-2 board if ya need one.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2005, 07:17 AM

Pk! fate has intervened, and the Voodoo Project mk2 is on! I received from my mother-inl-law her old PC yesterday:

Pentium III 500
Intel BX440 motherboard
64MB PC100 Ram
10GB HD
CD-rom and floppy
17" Monitor

It's an old gateway system, very clean and in good working order and perfect as a platform for the Voodo card. More notes once I get underway.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2005, 12:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Every now and then things just fall into place and go our way! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 1st February, 2005, 03:03 AM

Ok so here is the current hardware, I'm going to get this thing running and THEN do the paint work and any mods. I do know for sure I will be adding a reset button (the gods only know why there isn't one on the thing)and a n upgraded power supply at some point.

Pentium 3 500 on Intel BX440 mobo w/64MB PC100 RAM
10 GB Maxtor HD formatted for DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11, currently 3 partitions
10 GB WD HD formatted fro Win98
Voodoo 5 5500 AGP Video card
Soundblaster AWE 64 sound card (still sounds great!)

As soon as I get all the DOS games running, I'll go ahead and begin modding the case and prepping for paint, any ideas on teh paint job?

I've got about 20 games installed so far, everything is running well.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th February, 2005, 03:35 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

what games are you running?
need any extra ram?

Any particular games you are looking for?
Was going to ask if you needed a voodoo card but you dont need one.
I am assuming this is a slot1 mobo?
how does it fold?
Old 5th February, 2005, 06:36 AM

Voodoo Box

Going to be doing a voodoo 5500 box myself.

Getting close.

Planning on using either a new but never used Epox 3pta or my old Asus Tusl2c. I have a p3-s 1.4 and hope it works fine in the 3pta, worked great in the old tusl2c.

I have 2 sticks of 256mb crucial sdram for it, a voodoo 200tv, will be using a wd 8mb 100g HD and a Thermaltake 420w power supply. Going to finally (hopefully in the next month) get a DVD burner for my main box so I can stick my DVDROM and CD Burner in my Voodoo box. Still need a case, monitor, mouse and keyboard hopefully it will come together in the next month or two. Probably give the onboard sound a whirl until I can afford to upgrade my soundcard in my main box.

Been planning on it for a year and a half hopefully it will happen.

Always have had a soft spot in my heart for 3dfx and the original Unreal Tournament played in Glide. It will be great for my grandbabies to play some of the old kiddee games that just do not work in winXP.

Have not decided about using win98SE or ME yet. I never had the problems many complained about with ME or at least they did not bother my setup.

Good luck on your Voodoo setup!

Last edited by flylow; 5th February, 2005 at 06:53 AM.
Old 6th February, 2005, 02:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

i think i have a vibra 16 sitting around somewhere.
Old 6th February, 2005, 03:30 AM

I have some additional RAM lying about, but the BX440 board complains a bit when I install it, saying 'Assuming 100MHZ RAM" or something of that nature. 64 MB is MORE than adequate for the DOS portion, WIN98 should run ok on 64 MB.......

So far I have about 30 games laoded up and working in DOS, everything from the original Bard's Tale to 7 different Wing Commander games, Harpoon 2 and a mess of other stuff. Oh and TombRaider,of course lol.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th February, 2005, 12:05 AM
Member/Contributer

but what about the original command and conquer? redalert? Rebel Assault, tie fighter collectors CD rom (the old original one) and also the old original X wing collectors CD -Rom, civ 2.. Z, the 1st discworld game...
Pirates! gold. monkey island 1 or 2, some old sim games... :d
Old 8th February, 2005, 12:41 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

how about "the dig". LoL. or "The ripper"..7 cd's long in...oh, '92!
Old 10th February, 2005, 02:15 PM
Member/Contributer

i was wandering if you had the english version of Quarantine? because i used to have it a long time back, then lost the cd, i managed to acquirea cd off ebay but its in french only i still have the authenicating sheet somewhere.
Old 10th March, 2005, 06:14 AM

Yay!!! The Church of latter day technology!!

Legacy Project #1 (built and running)
433Mhz Cellery (o/c's quite merrily to 575Mhz)
Asus Mew-RM board.
384Mb PC133 CL3 SDRAM (Mainly Samsung with and a stick of Micron)
ATI video adaptor PCI
3dfx Voodoo 2 PCI Graphics Accelerator (linked to ATI...remember them?)
Video-Logic Sonic Vortex sound (I think the last working drivers released for this were for WinME)
NO MORE EXPANSION SLOTS!!! LOL
Win 98se
Independence War and Defiance in true Glide glory!!!

Legacy Project #2 (work in progress)
1000Mhz Slot A Athlon Thunderbird.
MSI 6167 board.
384Mb PC100 SDRAM (mixed, but mainly pretty good stuff)
3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP
Soundblaster Live

I have had this rig essentially running together, and played fallout on it a couple of months ago. However I was running it with a GeForce2 and want to go for another 3dfx rig as I've got a case and PSU large enough for a Voodoo5

Oh the joy of older kit!!

I picked up a 7KXA I was going to use as the base of this rig but it wont run the Thunderbird....wont even boot a 900Mhz Thunderbird...DAMN!!!
Old 10th March, 2005, 07:39 PM

Nice Toaster! I have a Voodoo 2 accelerator around here somewhere. Maybe another voodoo machine in my future.....

AOA Team fah