AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th January, 2005, 02:40 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
oh it's ten times better than the 9800SE (well 3 maybe) got it from overclock.co.uk
but I do miss the ati's video capabilities, divX uses around 30% cpu time now compared with about 10% before and doesn't look as good. Playing Farcry on very high at 1280x1024 compared with playing it around medium with some high settings at 800x600 makes it all worth it though and unreal tournament looks...unreal

And it's funny you should mention that Chernobyl because that's exactly what I have on it It does kep it cool, running off the cards fan line it idles at 44-45C and on full load it reaches 55C
running off 5V it idles at 48C and full load reaches 58-60C and it can't be heard over the psu fan, though it's not quite silent, bringing it down to 3-4V should do it

My GPU runs 57C Idle and near 70C load with an NV5 running at 410/1100MHz, ambient 20C.
Those are very good temps you have!

Have you thought of modding your BIOS. I've done it many times on my old FX and the new GT. It didnt help me do any more than straight forward clocking did with the original BIOS, other peoples experiences have differed greatly...
X1800XT clocked to PE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2005, 02:45 AM
Member/Contributer

already on 1.4v
I don't think the nv5 does a great job cooling the memory though, those thermal pads look more like insulators.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2005, 02:54 AM
Projector Wizard

I used arctic ceramique on my memory as it didnt come with pads!
Not sure if its any better as its quite thick in places to match the minute warping of the copper from when it was cut to shape. Maybe why they ship pads now?

If using paste on memory chips, be MOST careful not to get it on the Ram legs. I hosed a Geforce Ti500 with Arctic Silver 3 a while back!
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 03:09 AM
Member/Contributer

you don't need to be careful with ceramanique. Artic silver is slightly electrically capacitive, where as ceramanique is electrically insulating.
on mine it barely looks like the pads even plce pressure on the ram chips, and the coper isn't even warm to touch
I did the same with artic silver 1 on a tnt2

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 03:11 AM
Projector Wizard

I recently read that ceramique does have silver in it.
Could be wrong, u know the web
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 03:25 AM
Member/Contributer

its made from aluminum oxide, boron nitride and zinc oxide as far as I know (he says like he's not just looked it up )

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 03:34 AM
Projector Wizard

Agreed, that was my previous knowledge too.
I'm keeping my ear to the ground as a lot of mis-information occurs for the sake of Marketing.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 04:10 AM
Member/Contributer

zinc oxide, this stuff should make pretty good sun block

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 04:11 AM
Member/Contributer

keep you cool as well, they're marketing it all wrong

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 04:57 AM
Projector Wizard

lol
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 06:52 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
zinc oxide, this stuff should make pretty good sun block
Diaper-rash ointment as well. In fact, we used to us diaper-rash ointment as heat sink compound many years ago when we got into a bind.

Keeps your electronics fresh and clean. LOL
Old 18th January, 2005, 07:02 AM
Projector Wizard

I saw a review where they used toothpaste (or something similiar) in a heatsink paste group test. The toothpaste did pretty well !
Maybe an oil based toothpaste?
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:34 PM
Member/Contributer

toothpaste probabally worked well because it wasn't oil based. Plus the fluride particle are quite small

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:49 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey graham, post some benchies for us! If you have any R9800SE AIW benchies to post alongside the FX6800 for me to compare with

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 02:32 PM
Member/Contributer

From memory the 9800SE scored ~3700 stock, ~4400 overclocked in 3dmark03. The 6800 scores 9267 stock and 10296 overclocked.
But it's in games where the real diffeerance is, performance is easily 3X the SE and sometimes more like 4X.
I never liked playing Doom 3 on my 9800, having to play at 640x480 on low settings defeated the purpose of the high end graphics engine. But now playing it at 1024x768 on high I see what it's all about.
Farcry also is improved so much, performance was a bit varied on the 9800SE, at a pinch I could manage 1024x768 with medium and some high settings, but some bits would push it too far and the frame rate would drop, I found 800x600 with 2xAA performed much better. Now I can play with very high settings at 1280x1024 and it looks incredible.
As does ut2004, very high settings at 1600x1200 compared with medium/high settings at 1024x768
It's the pixel shaders that really make the differance, any game making lots of use of them really shines and the higher detail settings don't take the same hit that the radeon did
I've not played X2 yet but from the benchmark I did it looks much better, and the flashing polygon problem the SE had is gone

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 06:10 PM

i have one of those NV coolers too but ive noticed than after about 4 months of so every time i turn on my computer the fan emits this real rough noise that if the fan was out of balance for about 2 min and then it disappears, i think il have to have a look at it and see.

did anyone else exp this kind of problem ?

and i use artic sliver 5 for the die.

whats the temps on load for that card (Nvidia) with full load ?
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 18th January, 2005, 08:01 PM
Member/Contributer

running off the card fan header full load reaches about 55C, on a 5V line it reaches about 60C and thats at 1.4V
and that noise sounds like the fan might be failing, I think they're simlar technology to sleeve bearing fans, which use lubricant and this can dry up in high temperature situations

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 09:45 PM

yeh i was thinking about the lub thing alright do you think a bit of 3 n 1 oil will do the trick?
yeh there really nice temps on the card mine runs @52 idle and about 57 on load,
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++