AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th January, 2005, 04:33 AM
Member/Contributer

Geforce 6800NU

I've got a 6800 none ultra due this week, am I right in assuming riva tuner is thebest way to unlock the 4 hidden pixel pipelines? I heard that if you try flashing the bios the drivers still detect what card it really is because of a resistor configuration and I don't want to tamper with the hardware.
Do the omega drivers have the ability to unloc them like they do for radeon 9500/9800SE cards or are there any other drivers that do?

thanks

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2005, 07:19 PM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I've got a 6800 none ultra due this week, am I right in assuming riva tuner is thebest way to unlock the 4 hidden pixel pipelines? I heard that if you try flashing the bios the drivers still detect what card it really is because of a resistor configuration and I don't want to tamper with the hardware.
Do the omega drivers have the ability to unloc them like they do for radeon 9500/9800SE cards or are there any other drivers that do?

thanks

Rivatuner is an excellent tool for unlocking the pipelines.
Give it a go
X1800XT clocked to PE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th January, 2005, 09:34 PM
Member/Contributer

yeah I've been reading up on it and it and I think I'm sorted for how to do it.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th January, 2005, 05:54 PM

im sure your happy now with that new card buddy , and good luck with unlocking the pipelines

im sure you`ll achieve it with no problems
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 16th January, 2005, 11:11 PM
Member/Contributer

well they seem to be faulty. theres no snowy pixels or missing triangles or anything like that but theres kind of a tint on the screen, kind of like a pink haze, I've seen some people giving advice that extra voltage can help (the gt runs at a higher voltage than the NU) but I'm dubious of this I might try it anyway and put it back if it doesn't. I don't know first my 9800SE wouldn't unlock now my 6800, some people get all the luck

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 12:09 AM
Member/Contributer

Try, try, try! Give it more juice, whats the worst that could happen?

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 01:45 AM
Member/Contributer

kablam!

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 01:47 AM
Member/Contributer

gotta work out how to do it first, from what I've read I use nvflash to dump the bios, then nibitorv to change the default voltage settings then reflash with nvflash, but I'm not sure which version of nvflash is best to use, I've seen differant recomendations, plus I'm not 100% on what flags to use with it when flashing, don't suppose anyone here has done any 6800 flashing/volt modding?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 02:15 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
gotta work out how to do it first, from what I've read I use nvflash to dump the bios, then nibitorv to change the default voltage settings then reflash with nvflash, but I'm not sure which version of nvflash is best to use, I've seen differant recomendations, plus I'm not 100% on what flags to use with it when flashing, don't suppose anyone here has done any 6800 flashing/volt modding?
I use nvflash442 while still in Windows!
You can use it from Windows cmd or create a shortcut to nvflash442.exe and put the parameters in it.
Get it here:
http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?opt...r&filecatid=42

I made a file flash.bat containing:
nvflash442.exe -f %1 -p -u -2
@ echo .
@ pause

Then create a shortcut called Flashme with the following:
flash.bat BIOS.rom
Change BIOS.rom to whatever the ROM is. It must be a 8.3 file name.

Double click the shortcut to flash your card. When its finished it pauses so you can see the result. The window closes when you press a key.

I've done over 10 flashes so far in Windows and it seems trustworthy.
As it uses 100% CPU, close all programs and make sure your system has finished booting (I've seen long pauses in the boot process on some machines, even after the desktop appears).

I understand if you prefer DOS

Chernobyl

ps
To backup your current rom to saved.rom, use the following
nvflash442.exe -b saved.rom
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 17th January, 2005, 02:17 AM

putting more volts in there will more than likley shorten the life of many components on the PCB.....

just a taught
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 17th January, 2005, 02:40 AM
Member/Contributer

I've heard many people warning about this, in spite of core/ram cooling the electrical components can be a problem. I'm willing to give it a chance though.
and nvflash won't work in windows for me, do you mean win9x/me?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 03:12 AM
Member/Contributer

well I did the voltage mod, 1.4v and rivatuner now reports vid 2 as opposed to 1 just about to try the softmod again

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 03:18 AM
Member/Contributer

nope same problem though it doesn't seem as severe, booo!

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 03:33 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

I guess it just needs some gentle persuasion

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:37 AM
Member/Contributer

use 4 stairs, not the whole flight.
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:42 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
use 4 stairs, not the whole flight.
I hope I'm not alone here in saying...

Eh?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:59 AM
Projector Wizard

hehe. it could mean many things depending on your own perspective.
Why climb the whole flight if 4 stairs will get you where you want
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 01:03 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
nope same problem though it doesn't seem as severe, booo!

Sorry you havent had success with your card. Perhaps you will be able to swap it out later when building a machine for a friend (of course give them a small discount!).
If you get a chance to try an NV5 or some other cooler, let us know. I'm eager to hear if it can help.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 01:20 AM
Member/Contributer

Hey Graham, what is this card like compared to your R9800SE AIW? Where did you get it from?

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 02:21 AM
Member/Contributer

oh it's ten times better than the 9800SE (well 3 maybe) got it from overclock.co.uk
but I do miss the ati's video capabilities, divX uses around 30% cpu time now compared with about 10% before and doesn't look as good. Playing Farcry on very high at 1280x1024 compared with playing it around medium with some high settings at 800x600 makes it all worth it though and unreal tournament looks...unreal

And it's funny you should mention that Chernobyl because that's exactly what I have on it It does kep it cool, running off the cards fan line it idles at 44-45C and on full load it reaches 55C
running off 5V it idles at 48C and full load reaches 58-60C and it can't be heard over the psu fan, though it's not quite silent, bringing it down to 3-4V should do it

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah