AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th February, 2002, 09:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

256 v 512 overclockability

Ok, so I am kinda gettin the feeling that most people in this forum don't go for intel :nervous: making me somewhat of a nonconformist :nervous:.... But I digress..

I was asked a question about choosing P4 chips today that I couldn't exactly answer..

I was asked if it would be better to have a 1.8 512k Northwood P4 over a 1.9 256(?) P4. How much does that extra 256k help the chip? and is one more overclockable than the other?

As far as I know, they only make a 1.9 model in .18 (256k) and not .16 (512k) Northwood.

TIA
Old 8th February, 2002, 12:58 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

cough, Intel topic, cough

Anyway, I believe the only 1.9Ghz Intel chip is a .18 micron, as you said. Read: it sucks for overclocking. There is a 1.8Ghz .13 micron version the 1.8A I think, that is a very good overclocker for some and only as good as the 1.9 for others. Generally however, I'd say go with the .13 micron chip as it will probably overclock better.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2002, 04:56 PM
Banned

Northwoods will overclock higher and run faster clock for clock with the .18 P4s because of the extra L2 cache.
Old 8th February, 2002, 07:44 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey, you aren't the only intel guy in here, hehe.

I would say go with the 1.8 Northwood. Its a bit faster, and overclocks a lot better.
Old 8th February, 2002, 10:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan
Hey, you aren't the only intel guy in here, hehe.

I would say go with the 1.8 Northwood. Its a bit faster, and overclocks a lot better.
I'm not anti intel, AMD just makes better stuff for me right now. I agree with Allan though, the 1.8northwood would be the way to go in this case.
Old 8th February, 2002, 10:52 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

This is a very interesting thread. I've not been keeping track of Intel's CPU's, chipsets and shenanigans lately. Please to forgive my ignorance. OK. Are the Tualeron's really simply P3E's with a die shrink? Do they have 256Kb of L2 cache? How about the 16-way associative L1 cache(of P3E's)? Is this still crippled to ?4-way for your Celeroning pleasure? I know that they're 100 Mhz FSB--"officially." Yet they seem amenable to serious overclockage.

The die shrink to .13 Micron seems to have the benefit of making these processors OCable to 133 Mhz FSB. If this is a reasonable OC expectation, is it whack to consider the Tualacelly's "P3EB's?" Seems accurate to me. "Real" P3E/EB's are still overpriced, IMHO.

This is one of the rare instances when Chipzilla gives "the little guy" a break. Setting aside the fact that Celerons 2's finally dropped to a reasonable cost, the last time Intel did this was with the C300A. If your C300A was lucky, it would run as the equivalent of a PII 450--in nearly every meaningful BM. Intel must genuinely be unsettled by a performance/price ratio that AMD is offering.

If this weren't the case, I can't imagine Intel ever releasing the .13 Micron Tualatin Celeron "3." This processor refloats the P3 family--when widely known scuttlebutt had it that Intel wanted P4's, the whole P4's and nothing but the P4's.

The Tualerons are such a great bang/buck CPU.... Naah, 'fraid I have the AMD religion. Nonetheless, they are great processors!
Old 9th February, 2002, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
cough, Intel topic, cough

I know its an intel topic... but nobody ever looks in there!:-D

Almost to the point now that is should be renamed to "The Forbidden Thread"
Old 9th February, 2002, 03:00 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ItHuNkPuNk

I know its an intel topic... but nobody ever looks in there!:-D

Almost to the point now that is should be renamed to "The Forbidden Thread"
Cool, I hadn't noticed, I never look in there":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!