AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th January, 2005, 12:35 AM

GeForce 3 TI200 bites the dust

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. My old trusty GF3, while it will still boot into windows, crashes with seconds of entering a 3D game. I checked and in fact resoldered some loose capacitors but I think the damge is already done. Fortunately the machine I use it on is primarily for game servers - and I don't really need the graphics power to run a dedicated server, just enough to get into the game and the options. Looking at my next video card, and honestly looks like nVidia is going to get my money for a GT6600... it's simply performance for the money, unless I can find a steal on a Radeon 9800 Pro. I haven't heard anything (good or bad really) about the newer ATI cards in the $175-200 price range, let me have you opinions!

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2005, 01:46 AM
Member/Contributer

ati have yet to release agp cards in this price range and so 6600's offer the best solution. but do you even need this much power? surely any DX9 card would do, in which case a 9600 would suffice surely?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2005, 01:50 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

R.I.P. !
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th January, 2005, 01:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

I recently upgraded to a Powercolor 128 meg, 256 bit 9800 Pro. It is a Newegg refurb, $190.00 with taxes and shipping. Though it isn't as much of an upgrade from my Ti4200 as I hoped, it is a pretty nice card, and is working nicely.

It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull.
H. L. Mencken
Old 30th January, 2005, 02:24 AM
Member/Contributer

You didn't find a 9800pro much of an upgrade? it's gotta be at least twice as fast and with dx9 capabilities

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2005, 04:09 AM

It is significantly better than my Ti4200. But it isn't the dramatic improvement that I had hoped for.

When I upgraded from a TNT2 32 meg PCI video card to a GF2 Ti 64 meg card, that was a dramatic improvement. I guess I'm looking to equal that, but no video card upgrade since has been as big of a change.

Bechmarks don't mean too much to me. I was able to max the detail settings for Pacific Fighters (the latest version of Il2 Forgotten Battles) which is the only game I play. That's nice, but add enough objects, and the frame rate still drops down to a bit choppy. I'm running an 8RDA3+ with a 2500M at 180x12.5. So there is some room for improvement in my system (better memory will allow me to bump up the FSB), but it isn't really holding the card back.

H. L. Mencken
Old 30th January, 2005, 04:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Me? I want it to reach through the monitor to shake my hand for installing it's ass properly! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th January, 2005, 07:14 AM

Me too Dan, and for under $200 at that!

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2005, 10:48 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo Man
It is significantly better than my Ti4200. But it isn't the dramatic improvement that I had hoped for.

When I upgraded from a TNT2 32 meg PCI video card to a GF2 Ti 64 meg card, that was a dramatic improvement. I guess I'm looking to equal that, but no video card upgrade since has been as big of a change.

Bechmarks don't mean too much to me. I was able to max the detail settings for Pacific Fighters (the latest version of Il2 Forgotten Battles) which is the only game I play. That's nice, but add enough objects, and the frame rate still drops down to a bit choppy. I'm running an 8RDA3+ with a 2500M at 180x12.5. So there is some room for improvement in my system (better memory will allow me to bump up the FSB), but it isn't really holding the card back.
yeah but a tnt2 to a gf2 is 2 generations, where as a ti4200 to a 9800 is only 1 and a bit

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2005, 11:45 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

For sure sure Graham! I went from a 4600 Ti to a 6800GT and I saw a huge difference. But not an a appreciable one in UT - faster? you bet! but I didn't really need faster in UT- But in Farcry! WOW! 1600X1200 Very high settings only one or three places in one map do I see a bit of a slow down. Rocks my world.... but already superseded by the new....sigh...":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th January, 2005, 12:36 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
For sure sure Graham! I went from a 4600 Ti to a 6800GT and I saw a huge difference. But not an a appreciable one in UT - faster? you bet! but I didn't really need faster in UT- But in Farcry! WOW! 1600X1200 Very high settings only one or three places in one map do I see a bit of a slow down. Rocks my world.... but already superseded by the new....sigh...":O}
Reading how well your card performs in Far Cry makes me so sad !!!
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 30th January, 2005, 12:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If I had it to do over I would have waited for the price to fall a bit. But thats water under the bridge. ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 30th January, 2005, 12:57 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

The price thing is ok, but then when you want something and wait for the price to go down it's when a new and better card hits the streets and it no loger seems a good deal.
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 30th January, 2005, 04:00 PM

hmm well the thing is, so far I can get a Radeon 9800 pro for about $190, or I can get an nVidia 6600GT for about $215..... just seems like the 6600 is the better buy. What about ATI's card is this price range that are PCI Express? tryign to decide if I can wait and do a full blown system upgrade.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2005, 04:37 PM
Member/Contributer

nvidia rule the mid price bracket. the 9800 will perform better in HL2, though the 6600 is still a good enough card for it, and in most other situations, especially future games the 6600 will be the better card
ati has the X700 which is a decent enough card, but outperformed by 6600's in pretty much everything but HL2 and still not available on agp.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2005, 06:35 PM

Don't forget, that $190.00 is with taxes and shipping. The listed price was just over $170.00. At that I broke my rule of trying to not pay over $150.00 for a video card. But the manufacturers and retailers are doing well with inventory management to prevent todays top cards from becoming tomorrows $150.00 cards. I'm a patient man, but the upgrade bug has to be satisfied once in a while.

I had a Ti4200 for a little over two years, I'll probably keep this card for a similar length of time.

H. L. Mencken
Old 31st January, 2005, 04:48 AM

Thanks for all the posts guys, now I just have to make a decision and get the cards. Oh, did I mention I gotta upgrade the wife's video card now? She decided that if I was gonna get a new one she was too lol.

AOA Team fah