AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st January, 2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

GFX5200 is it any good?

I know a guy here in sydney that's not too far sell's pc hardware etc from home(ive done business with him before) and im thinking about buying a GFX5200 for $85 but i have some questions about it.

Im currently using a Microstar MS-8802 with nVidia Riva TNT2 chipset has 16mb memory and im guessing obviously this card im interested is far better then my current one but will it go with my mobo? My mobo is an Acer S58M it has agp version 4 slot.

Here's what im running on:

Acer S58M Motherboard using onboard AC'97 Audio.
Intel Pentium III 933mhz
256mb SDRAM(single module have 2 slots left).
MS-8802 with nVidia Riva TNT2 Chipset with 16mb memory.
IBM 17 inch Monitor(dont have a clue about model etc).
Using Windows XP Home SP1

Oh and also here's a link to an image and description of the card:

http://www.compubits.biz/new.php?function=detail&id=168
Old 31st January, 2005, 04:30 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

$85 is WAY TOO STEEP!! More like $50. As you can see here over at pricewatch.com.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2005, 04:44 PM
Banned

This looks to be US currency which would be more then $85 here or around about.

EDIT: Im australian.

Last edited by Chesso; 31st January, 2005 at 04:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2005, 05:04 PM
Member/Contributer

$85aus would be about right price wise
i's not a brilliant card, you can find geforce 4 based cards for that price and these will perform much much better, you should be able to get a ti4200 for about $70-80aus or maybe even a 4600 and these will perform far far better than a 5200
I wouldn't recomend a 5200 for the purpose of playng games, yes it will outperform your tnt2 but its still not that powerful.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st January, 2005, 05:06 PM
AOA Staff

Ditto Graham.
Old 31st January, 2005, 05:12 PM
Banned

How do you think it would go for Sims 2/GTA 3 and Vice City?

atm they all run except sims 2 is laggy and there are of course times when either gta games lag for a short period. I may consider getting San Adreas for pc when it comes out but not too sure on what requirements it may have.
Old 31st January, 2005, 05:15 PM
Member/Contributer

It would manage those quite easily, the gta games have frame limitters on them anyway and are basically just ps2 ports
the sims should also be fine, but you really would get much much better performance from a geforce 4 card (not the mx though)
I don't know about san andreas. If it's like the previous games and is just a straight port then it would be no problem.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st January, 2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

Oh good perhaps i wont have my little brother whinging at me every 5 mins now lol. Then again he always finds something to whinge about.
Old 31st January, 2005, 06:06 PM
AOA Staff

The FX5200 isn't a bad card, just not a good choice if you want to play first person shooters at high frame rates.
Old 31st January, 2005, 07:30 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

FPS with high details and high framerates would be a no go, but you could play CS:S on that there 5200 semi-decently like, with the details at the lowest.
Old 31st January, 2005, 07:35 PM
Member/Contributer

I've had ut2004 and bf1942 running on a pci version and they didn't look too bad at 800x600 with the details tweaked, got them to around 40fps

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 1st February, 2005, 12:17 AM
Banned

Well i like playing some of the older and newer games but running at 640x480x16 or 800x600x32 or higher i dont see any difference really so i just go with the lowest for better performance which is usually the first one i mentioned above.
Old 1st February, 2005, 12:24 AM
Steve Jobs

would be nice to know which card it is as there is (brand or model number maybe?) as there is a world of difference between the siamese cat that is the 128bit 5200 and the inbred tabby that is the 64bit 5200.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 1st February, 2005, 05:30 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Very good point dsio. I have a 128 version of the 5200 and it runs hl2 pretty good. Remember if you want to you can oc the card.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 1st February, 2005, 07:42 AM
Banned

True but i dont know much about cooling and the like and it is very hot where i live right now which doesnt help. It only has wate ever ever cooling it already had i havent added any additional cooling.

Is their anything available that can keep the interior of the case cooler? Rather then something specific to a component. I don't think it gets really hot too often surprisingly but id rather not leave my pc on unattended(which i need to do often) and come back to find something fried lol.
Old 1st February, 2005, 09:42 AM
Steve Jobs

you could buy some extra case fans, if there arnt any holes to put them in you can make holes with dremel/jigsaw/plasma cutter whichever is handy. blowholes are extremely effective in cases with crap ventilation as they allow how air in the top of the case to be exhausted through the roof of the case. PSUs do the same kind of thing but are nowhere near as effective.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles