AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th February, 2005, 10:00 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

MSI recalls 6800's...sort of

I found this tidbit on X-bit labs, after reading earlier taht a german shop had posted complaints about the 6800gt's it recieved actually having plain 6800 GPU's on the cards..robbing buyers of 4 pipes and one vertex shader. Seems now MSI has admited wrongdoing, and will replace cards of those who confirm thier 6800gt's are plain 6800's.

MSI lays blame on Nvidia supplying them only pci-e chips that have that configuration. Only pic-e cards are affected.

Anyone who bought a PCI-E 6800gt in germany best check out thier cards!
Quote:
MSI Admits Hundreds of “GeForce 6800 GT” Graphics Cards with Lower-Grade Specs.
MSI Says It Will Replace Wrong GeForce 6800 GT Graphics Cards

A leading maker of computer components, Microstar International, recently confirmed that at least 350 of its GeForce 6800 GT graphics cards shipped in the European Union did not meet designated specifications and agreed to replace the products
read the full story here
Old 7th February, 2005, 11:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front page Dave!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th February, 2005, 11:41 PM
Member/Contributer

Now if only all of us who have broken video units can be compensated all will be well in world, or near enough.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th February, 2005, 12:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Call and ask them! You just never know!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 8th February, 2005, 01:44 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you for posting this, cadaveca!

All the more reason to pay an extra ~$350 for an X800--or 800X, whatever. Says who?
Old 8th February, 2005, 01:55 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

I pulled this picture from techPowerUp!

Very interseting is that the chips that people got are the NV45, and the core should be the same size as the version on the right-hand side, including the bridge chip on the package. MSI pleads in thier press release(only available in german) that they are not too sure how the chips ended up not working as 6800GT's. It seems as though they have been using AGP parts as PCI-E parts, and according to Nvidia's specifications, the bridged chip should work just the same as the native pci-e part(the smaller core on the left of the picture), but for some reason the motherboard bios identifies the chip as a regular NV40(plain 6800) rather than the proper NV45(bridged agp part with 6800gt functionality). Users that have the smaller chip on thier PCI-E cards and no bridge chip need not worry.

This causes a bit of unrest, as it seems that there are more than 3 revisions of the Nvidia 6800 processor out there, and all are possibly sold with any of the 6800/6800gt/6800u functionality. This means that if you buy any 6800, you are taking your chances as to just which chip you are going to get!

this is not a new thing in the market...for quite some time graphics chips manufacturers have been selling parts the do not perform up to spec as lower-rated parts, like the ATI 9800PRO which can feature either a R350 or a R360 chip "under the hood". It seems that nobody really knew before that Nvidia was doing this with the 6800's. Also seems that for some reason the bridge chip does not work properly. I'm pretty sure that the same bridge-chip is the reason the 6800 is not able to do "Pure Video" either....or maybe it's because it's an agp 8x part overclocked to pci-e 16x?
Attached Thumbnails
MSI recalls 6800's...sort of-msi.jpg  

Last edited by cadaveca; 8th February, 2005 at 04:06 AM.