AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th February, 2005, 03:02 PM

Voodoo5 5500 AGP problem

Hi.
I picked up a 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP a while back, just for a retro games PC project.
However, I've not yet seen this card do colour. I've tried it out in a number of different retro motherboards. (MSI 6167 with Slot A Athlon, Gigabyte GA71xE4, - both of which are PC100, AGP x2 older style boards. Epox 8KTA+ and Asus A7V-E - both of which are PC133 AGPx4 boards.)

Post is always fine, and card does display. However, it does so only in monochrome, even in the BIOS set-up screen.

I've never actually tried to install it fully in a machine that has an OS and then load up drivers for it, but it seems to me that the absence of colour surely could'nt be driver related, and that if it could do colour at all it would be able to display in colour from the start.

Any ideas?
Old 10th February, 2005, 03:07 PM
Member/Contributer

are you using a CRT or TFT screen?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th February, 2005, 04:53 PM

CRT (an old but trusty and reliable Samsung Syncmaster 700NF) I've got a voodoo3 which I have tried in the same bench conditions in pretty much the same motherboards as the Voodoo5 and it seems fine.
I thought it might have been AGP voltage supply issue but then why does the voodoo3 work ok?
Old 10th February, 2005, 04:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

There is a pin on the VGA connector that gets grounded by a color monitor and left open by a monochrome one, if I remember correctly. This causes the video card to configure its output appropriately. It may be that your card has some damage that prevents it from properly detecting that signal and so it always thinks it is plugged into a monochrome monitor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th February, 2005, 02:07 AM

cheers gizmo, thats definately a start, think I'll get the card out and have a poke around with a multimeter.
Old 11th February, 2005, 05:37 AM

Also, make SURE you have the molex connector from your power supply plugged into the 5500 video card.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th February, 2005, 12:01 PM

Yup....check....still black and white...havent had a chance to check the monitor ground thing yet, But its a HUGE card, couldnt miss the big fat molex connector on the top even if I didnt have the manual!! Once again, 3dfx prove that they were years ahead of their time
Old 11th February, 2005, 01:14 PM
Member/Contributer

while at the same time years behind by not including hardware TnL
I remember when those cards came out and I thought no one will ever pay that just for a video card, and this was back when £200 was pricey

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 12th February, 2005, 12:05 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

i paid about £35 for my 5500, havn't used it in a while. But i might get round to setting up a retro machine at some point.
Old 19th February, 2005, 05:44 AM

piccoLEW...does your 5500 work?

I bought mine for a Retro machine project, I might be interested in giving a fair price for a working 5500 rather than take another chance on ebay
Old 19th February, 2005, 05:49 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

a voodoo3 3500 performs just a little less, and you can find one of those anywhere, and they are more retro.
I dont consider a 5500 retro..yet.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th February, 2005, 04:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

toaster do you fold at all?
Old 25th February, 2005, 05:13 PM

No, not at present, to be honest I dont really know too much about it but I thought I might give it a go once I've got a decent machine together that I can dedicate to it. I once did the SETI at home thing on a much older machine and it totally chewed up the resources. - I it was my only machine at the time and I was dial up too. Now things are different, so maybe soon.
Old 28th February, 2005, 02:21 AM
Member/Contributer

its great
become a folder and i would send it to you ¬_¬
but you have to promise the rig its gonna be used in will fold at least one WU
Old 28th February, 2005, 04:26 AM

I'm just putting the final touches to "dedicated-legacy-folding (and other stuff) rig Mk1" A bit more testing and tweaking to see how much I can crank out of it and remain stable and it will be ready to unleash on the world of folding. If you are serious about the Voodoo5 then I'll pop it in and have a 3dfx "themed" legacy rig!!!
Old 28th February, 2005, 03:52 PM
Member/Contributer

sorry if i sound a bit silly, but whats "dedicated-legacy-folding"?
that like folding at home?
Old 28th February, 2005, 04:19 PM

No mate....was just me being silly. It is "Folding at home" but on a machine made of prehistoric components with every last bit of performance squeezed out of them...with maybe a nice "Themed" paintjob.
With the pace of PC component advance the last couple of years that places quite capable kit like Athlon XP's alongside sub 0.5Ghz CPU's, and firmly in the "Legacy hardware" zone.
On the prehistoric vibe though, the Voodoo 5 card was total T-Rex!!! Absolutely massive for the time (and what it did) and now also sadly extinct.
The Godzilla of Graphics cards!!!!!
Old 28th February, 2005, 11:47 PM
Member/Contributer

well, i'm gonna want a screenie when it finishes a WU
and adress to post it to as well

Attached Thumbnails
Voodoo5 5500 AGP problem-aoa3dfx.jpg  
Old 2nd March, 2005, 05:22 PM
Member/Contributer

*bump*
offer free stuff and they disappear
Old 2nd March, 2005, 06:14 PM

Hey piccoLEW, dont worry, if it breaks your heart I'm sure I can get by without it.
I will post pics of my "Steam engine" rig doing some folding for sure though