AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th February, 2005, 06:47 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ATI to teach how to overclock

Quote:
ATI’s Overclocking Competition
The world’s top overclockers are gathering in Dallas, Texas in February for a circuit-smokin’ board barbeque, a sadistic attempt to torture technology until it submits. Why? Because it’s wrong. It’s wrong to wring more power and performance from PC components just for the gleeful delight of proving it can be done. It’s sinful to enjoy the smell of melting solder just for the smug satisfaction of higher frame rates. And it’s downright immoral to crank higher clock speeds far beyond what the Chip Creator intended. But what if-just for a weekend-you were given permission to try to suspend the laws of nature? What if the Chip Creator actually helped and encouraged you to inflict indignities upon the mightiest hardware ever developed? If you are a “dark-side overclocker”, then ATI’s first-ever Overclocking Competition Event gives you a chance to redeem yourself and apply your evil talents for good!
(February 28th, Texas)

More details here:

http://ati.com/gitg/promotions/ultimatelan/index.html
Old 10th February, 2005, 07:35 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

cool

an't wait to see LN2 CPU cooling with vapo chills on the north bridge and GPU

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th February, 2005, 07:42 PM

I just like that you are using thier hardware. All i need is my ColdHeat and a few variable resistors...and i think i could win! LOL!
Old 10th February, 2005, 07:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Warning! Warning! Thread hijack in progress! Warning! Warning!

[hijack]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
All i need is my ColdHeat...
You have one of these? Are they any good? I've got a little butane powered Portasol that is a dandy little unit as a portable, but you've got to be careful about putting it back into your kit until the tip cools down.

[/hijack]

Warning! Warning! Thread hijack complete! Warning! Warning!

Last edited by Áedán; 10th February, 2005 at 10:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th February, 2005, 07:52 PM

[offtopic]

It works great, but only with low heat solder. The radioshack Electronic solder that is lead-based works great with it.

You need to tin your leads first, and it's much easier to do with a regular iron, but when it comes time to stick parts to the pcb, it cannot be beat, as i have not used an iron that allows to to get your hands so close to your work.

Requires 4 AA batteries, and burns through them quick. I'm using NiMH rechargables, and they are only good for about 3 hours of soldering. Thankfully they only take 2 hours to charge(RUSH brand batteries)

Tip never gets hot, as it is the arc of electricity that heats the project and provides the bond. Solder does not stick to the tips either (hence why you need to tin your leads another way). I'm pretty impressed with it....but you still need a regular iron. would be better, IMHO, if it was not battery operated, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the item, too.

[off topic over]
Old 10th February, 2005, 10:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

front page Cadaveca!
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/index.php
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 10th February, 2005, 10:33 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
cool

an't wait to see LN2 CPU cooling with vapo chills on the north bridge and GPU
i was actually "dreaming" of that the other day....

two prommies, one on the cpu and one on the gpu
Old 11th February, 2005, 12:39 AM

If I had the money, I'd be there. I wonder just what sort of equipment they are going to provide? There was an X850XT PE @ CES that was doing 650gpu/1200mem, or there abouts, on air, and apparantly had not been modified from retail...except for the mass of aluminium thermally bonded to the power area of the board....with no Vmods. Wonder if they provide water?
Old 11th February, 2005, 09:55 PM

here's ati's overclocked x850..will post the specs in a nimute or 2. Notice the liberal use of aluminium. 310 FSB to start with....
Attached Thumbnails
ATI to teach how to overclock-atioc.jpg  

Last edited by cadaveca; 12th February, 2005 at 01:03 AM.