AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th February, 2005, 01:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Skiracing108

Speaker Suggestions

im looking at the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 - PC multimedia home theater speaker system which is surround sound, and they seem like they rule paired with a pretty good soundcard. anyone have any feedback suggestions for other speakers besides logitech which suck
Old 12th February, 2005, 01:54 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

ALtec lansing make a good set, at least i'm happy with mine. only paid about 75 for the 251's(checks back of speaker). Bass is kinda lacking at higher volumes, but i just wired in a different sub.

Really, i have not heard much better than the klipsch. The Creative MegaWorks THX 5.1 550 are prety darn good too, and have THX certification along with the Klipsch, so you can almost guarantee that they have decent response, and when paired with a creative card, you know that they where at some point designed together(the card and speakers, I mean, of course).
Old 12th February, 2005, 08:01 AM
Steve Jobs

personally i think any speaker set that depends on a subwoofer is pretty weak, but the best of the bunch seams to be the logitech Z680, or now the Z5500, same thing really. Klipsch stopped making good sounding speakers in 1948 with their legendary klipschorns. since then i think theyve been very ordinary based on objective listening.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th February, 2005, 02:21 PM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
personally i think any speaker set that depends on a subwoofer is pretty weak, but the best of the bunch seams to be the logitech Z680, or now the Z5500, same thing really. Klipsch stopped making good sounding speakers in 1948 with their legendary klipschorns. since then i think theyve been very ordinary based on objective listening.

I strongly disagree. I love music and my hifi and use the awesome REL Strata II subwoofer (£200 second hand).
I have yet to find a pair of speakers that can deliver a good response down to 20Hz and below that sound good for an affordable price.
Any suggestions you can make to fill this void without a subwoofer without breaking the bank will be much appreciated.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th February, 2005, 02:42 AM
Steve Jobs

yea, mate its all relative. I use Bose studiocraft syncom 4 way speakers. I paid $500 AU for them at a musician's garage sale 2 years ago. in 1994 they sold here for $8000. nothing ive heard can compare to that albiet the klipschon SUs (60 years old i might add). http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=2 those speakers own all. I simply havnt heard a sub perform well. ever. i expected magnat's top of the range omega 530 to perform well. http://www.magnat.de/home/home.php?s...area=6&lang=de they seam to think its good. these guys, seam to think its worth 1,600 euros. I heard the thing work over an extended period, and i have to say. it sucked. not just bad sucked, but "i cant believe i could have had a weekend at the hilton for the price of that garbage". It was that bad. muddy, rolling bass. you couldnt seperate geezer buttler's bass riffs from bill ward's drumming in "never say die" by black sabbath. Thats it for me. if it cant play sabbath. THEN WHATS IT GOOD FOR!?!?
:/
i dont think anything cheap does a good job, you get what you pay for with speakers. Instead of getting a set of cheapies now and then stop and invest in a brilliant set. and enjoy them for the next 15 years. that doesnt really help the guy who asked the question, it just explains my point of view. as far as filling the blank, second hand bose studio speakers from 10 years ago are slightly more expensive than z680s and sound a whole world better. But listening is subjective so im not saying your wrong, just different whatever floats your boat.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 13th February, 2005, 04:23 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
yea, mate its all relative. I use Bose studiocraft syncom 4 way speakers. I paid $500 AU for them at a musician's garage sale 2 years ago. in 1994 they sold here for $8000. nothing ive heard can compare to that albiet the klipschon SUs (60 years old i might add). http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=2 those speakers own all. I simply havnt heard a sub perform well. ever. i expected magnat's top of the range omega 530 to perform well. http://www.magnat.de/home/home.php?s...area=6&lang=de they seam to think its good. these guys, seam to think its worth 1,600 euros. I heard the thing work over an extended period, and i have to say. it sucked. not just bad sucked, but "i cant believe i could have had a weekend at the hilton for the price of that garbage". It was that bad. muddy, rolling bass. you couldnt seperate geezer buttler's bass riffs from bill ward's drumming in "never say die" by black sabbath. Thats it for me. if it cant play sabbath. THEN WHATS IT GOOD FOR!?!?
:/
i dont think anything cheap does a good job, you get what you pay for with speakers. Instead of getting a set of cheapies now and then stop and invest in a brilliant set. and enjoy them for the next 15 years. that doesnt really help the guy who asked the question, it just explains my point of view. as far as filling the blank, second hand bose studio speakers from 10 years ago are slightly more expensive than z680s and sound a whole world better. But listening is subjective so im not saying your wrong, just different whatever floats your boat.
Fair enough
For most gamers and home PC users the good Klipsch setup would be fantastic, as you say, whatever floats your boat.
I do agree that second hand hifi components can easily exceed the quality of the current top of the range PC systems for the same price. Its a tough game for many though, all in one PC packages do have merits.

ps try a REL Strata sub, they hook onto your amps outputs, matching the sub to the response of your amp and speakers. Mine integrates very well and is soooo deep
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 13th February, 2005, 08:39 AM
Steve Jobs

ill keep an eye out, but ive had a look around and cant even find them in australia. Might be a europe only part. If i can lay my hands on them ill fire up some sabbath and see how it performs
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah