AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th February, 2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

Oc Msi Rx9250?

I installed this little thing which allows to me change core/memory speeds in the ati control panel for my card drivers but im not sure how far i should put it up safely.

I only have wateva it came with for cooling, it doesn't have a fan but a heatsink in the shape of MSI how clever of them lol.
Old 17th February, 2005, 03:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Most cards will overclock approximately 20%, try using atitool to overclock, it has an app which tests for artifacts (errors in the rendering process) and finds the highest stable overclock

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2005, 03:15 PM
Steve Jobs

a cheap and easy way of improving your cooling performance is to mount a small fan on it. All you need is a 60mm or 70mm fan preferably low profile. AMD stock heatsink fans are perfect for this role. Grab a pair of twist ties (no joke) and thread them through the screw holes. Then thread the twist ties under the heatsink where it mounts to the board (usually there is the heatsink then there is a gap between the GPU core and the push pins, this is what you use. This keeps it securely on the heatsink and improves temps alot.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2005, 03:16 PM
Steve Jobs

Also as far as overclocking goes, increase the clock speed until it becomes unstable or garbled, then back it off a little bit. Thats the best way to go with GPU overclocking. The card isnt particularly fast but it might benefit a fair bit from overclocking, particularly in the memory department.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 17th February, 2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Well i ran a 3DMark 2001 SE benchmark after i first got it all up and running to see how well it did against my old......tnt2 and i got around 3200.

Iv'e oc'ed the core/memory speed a bit and changed a few settings(quality in d3d and opengl etc.) and this is my score now http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8433524
Old 21st February, 2005, 01:38 AM
Banned

Sorry about the double post just wanted to update from my previous to show something. When i did that benchmark i was using the drivers that came with the cd version 3.9 catalyst i think or 3.4.

I now use 5.2 im pretty sure and my score has gone from 4772 to 5002 with the omega drivers and 5400 or so with the ATI Catalyst drivers. Omega were Catalyst version 5.1 though.

That seems to me a fair bit of difference.

EDIT: This was without changing core/memory speed from default.
Old 21st February, 2005, 03:14 AM
Steve Jobs

do you have a spare fan you could mount somehow on top of your MSI's heatsink? because if you could, it would improve your OC substancially
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 21st February, 2005, 03:18 AM
Banned

Not right now but im going to get around to colling for overall system sometime soon as we have had some killer heat lately. I even have one side open with an actual fan running on it lol. I have something on the side to prevent anything harmfull from being blown inside from the fan just to be safe.

Hopefully with the new stuff im getting and it will be 8x agp instead of 4x ill see that mark increase. I already emailed them and the stuff i want they have available so i just gotta order online and they will keep it for 7 days. Im going to pick the stuff up saturday so cant wait to try it all out and hope there's no big problems. Im also trying to talk mum into giving me a bit to throw in for the 512 DDR400 stick instead of 256.