AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2005, 07:55 PM
Member/Contributer

The right drivers in the wrong place can make all the dif-ference in the woo-rld

I know that older drivers benefit older video cards for Nvidia, like a Ti4200 on 6x.xx drivers prolly isn't doing as well as older ones, so now that I have a 9700, which drivers would be best? Right now I'm using catty 4.3 I think, would the 5.x be good? What about 3rd party modded drivers, which ones enhance performance or quality? anyone got links
Old 19th February, 2005, 08:27 PM
Member/Contributer

the newer drivers are worth using because of the A.I. functions, which will give any card around a 5-10% boost, if you don't want to install the .net framework then I believe the omega drivers allow it without using the new control center

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2005, 08:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Graham, would you please explain to me what net.framework is and how and why people need/use it?
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2005, 08:46 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
I know that older drivers benefit older video cards for Nvidia, like a Ti4200 on 6x.xx drivers prolly isn't doing as well as older ones, so now that I have a 9700, which drivers would be best? Right now I'm using catty 4.3 I think, would the 5.x be good? What about 3rd party modded drivers, which ones enhance performance or quality? anyone got links
4.6 omegas, OR 4.12 CCC version, if you have at least a gig. 4.12 will give the best performance, but there are some issues with it and the r3xx series that i have seen, at least for a couple games. 4.6 omega's allow for the highest clocks so far, at least for me, and that's both with the X800 and the 9800.

Not to step on Graham's toes, you need the .net framework with the CCC version so allow "live" registry changes, which is what the Catalyst AI does. The .net framework itself is a way for coders to code in multiple languages, and interface with the XP runtime.
Old 19th February, 2005, 09:27 PM
Member/Contributer

no problem cadaveca, I didn't really know what it was
the only problem with the 4.12's is there are issues with punkbuster I believe

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th February, 2005, 09:46 PM
Member/Contributer

Other things on my box have problems with punkbuster anways
Old 19th February, 2005, 10:16 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

punkbuster for only a few games, but yeah. THe current version on the ATI site has been updated from the version with the punkbuster issue, AFAIK.
Old 20th February, 2005, 01:16 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
The .net framework itself is a way for coders to code in multiple languages, and interface with the XP runtime.
.NET is similar in some ways to Java. .NET source code (whatever language) gets converted into an intermediate language (IL). The IL doesn't actually run natively on your computer, as it's not a executable in the strict sense of the word. Instead, when you run the program, an intepreter then converts the IL into code that is actually capable of running on your machine.

Yes, this has a performance impact. There are benefits (other than for Intel and AMD), which include the elimination of DLL problems. It was also supposed to protect against buffer overflows, but there are already ways around the 'protection'.
Old 20th February, 2005, 05:44 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

.NET as far as im concerned can go to hell i'll stick with other languages or atleast borland products that don't restrict you to .NET. I wouldn't download the ATI drivers that required the .NET Framework it's just more bloat.

Newer drivers are usually better unless they have some specific big issues compared to older ones i always get the latest ones from either nVidia or ATI despite having an older card or two.

The 66.93 Drivers for my TNT2 did some good actually it performs a bit better or i like to think so atleast .
Old 20th February, 2005, 01:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
.NET is similar in some ways to Java. .NET source code (whatever language) gets converted into an intermediate language (IL). The IL doesn't actually run natively on your computer, as it's not a executable in the strict sense of the word. Instead, when you run the program, an intepreter then converts the IL into code that is actually capable of running on your machine.

Yes, this has a performance impact. There are benefits (other than for Intel and AMD), which include the elimination of DLL problems. It was also supposed to protect against buffer overflows, but there are already ways around the 'protection'.
Thanks Aedan!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th February, 2005, 01:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesso
.NET as far as im concerned can go to hell i'll stick with other languages or atleast borland products that don't restrict you to .NET. I wouldn't download the ATI drivers that required the .NET Framework it's just more bloat.

Newer drivers are usually better unless they have some specific big issues compared to older ones i always get the latest ones from either nVidia or ATI despite having an older card or two.

The 66.93 Drivers for my TNT2 did some good actually it performs a bit better or i like to think so atleast .
Thank you Chesso.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th February, 2005, 05:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
It was also supposed to protect against buffer overflows, but there are already ways around the 'protection'.
It's also supposed to protect against memory leaks, resource leaks, and numerous other things but it doesn't.

Basically, .NET is a security blanket that allows mediocre programmers to write mediocre code and still have a pretty good chance of having the code work properly.

.NET is the bane of my existence.