AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th February, 2005, 07:03 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

Leadtek 6600gt?

Im looking to buy a new graphics card to replace my XFX 5900xt, im trying to keep under the £200 mark, A friend has recommended the Leadtek 6600gt...anyone got any other suggestions?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2005, 07:48 PM
Member/Contributer

If you can afford around the £200 mark go for a 6800, I believe MSI's are only around £180, they are at least on par with the 6600GT and in most cases outperform them, especally in future, more pixel shader intensive games and theres always the chance of the last 4 pipelines unlocking, but even if they don't it will still be a better choice than the 6600GT

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2005, 07:59 PM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

what about overclockability? the 6600gt's have ddr3 memory and the cheaper 6800's only have ddr, wouldnt this limit their overclocking potential a lot?

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Old 20th February, 2005, 08:03 PM
Member/Contributer

doesn't matter because the 6600GT only has a 128bit bus, you would need to reach 1.4ghz to match the bandiwdth of the stock 6800, and most 6800's overclock to at least 800mhz so memory bandwidth is superior on the 6800
the cores also overclock quite well, 400mhz seems to be about average, again this is 20% slower than a 6600GT but with 12 pipelines and 5 vertex shaders, and the possibility of unlocking to 16pp/6vp they are still faster.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah