AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th March, 2005, 12:55 PM
Steve Jobs

stock cooling.

well not really...
i took the stock cooler off and had it lapped properly by a man that makes precision mirrors for optical purposes. $10.

The lap job on the stock coolers is criminal. Ive seen corrigated iron that would make better thermal contact.

Secondly i used a perfect layer of arctic silver 5 on the core, after removing all of the previous goop. It now works better than an NV5 cooler thingy.

My standard config is 425/1.2 on GT bios.
I use the Ultra BIOS now, which gives an extra 0.05 volts to core and memory. and that is still at 425/1.2 but i think it likes the extra voltage. It runs at this speed on the GT bios rock stable, but i just feel better on the ultra bios. When i ran it at 455/1.25 i used the fabled "Ultra Extreme" Bios. There are a limited number of 6800UE cards in circulation, but they are more rare and exclusive than a Ferrari Enzo (though i would take a 250GTO over an Enzo any day). The bios for the UE is available however requires the card to be modded slightly to run, and only works on certain 6800GTs (no ultras). 1 albatron works (mine) 1 gainward works, the 128mb asus GT works, and one of the PNYs works. i forget which ones.

Anyway, the UE bios gives you an extra 0.1 volt or 0.15 depending on if its a UE standard bios, or a UE engineering sample respectively. i used the standard to reach that OC.

Even at stock bios / voltage / cooling before i changed it, the card did 440/1.2 solid without ever complaining. Its just a very good overclocker. I think i got lucky a bit.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th March, 2005, 06:46 PM
Member/Contributer

yea i have my stock heatsink here I lapped with the same sand paper that my dad uses at work to buff saxaphone bells to a reflective finish, I too thought the finish on the stock sink was absolute crap. Thats unfortunate my card produces a checkerboard(and a 2D one at that) when I use a voltmodded bios, I'd like to get past 430/1.5 since I have some nice cooling capacity on it....oh well, these drivers reminded me just why I dont have to volt mod it.