AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st March, 2005, 08:45 PM

Unhappy Underperforming Ti4200

Having just completed my first build/overclock (2500@3200 Abit NF7-S) I eagerly turned my attention to the video card, thinking it's be a piece of cake (asking for trouble!) Its an Aopen 128MB Ti4200 with the stock cooler.
First, I can't seem to update the nVidia drivers...the card came with 31.xx and I have 45.xx downloaded(as recommended as the best for this older card). Uninstalled the current drivers from Add/Remove, rebooted and got stuck. Then used a reset programme, removed all nvidia drivers (inc nForce), ran Driver Cleaner to get rid of any traces of the previous drivers, reinstalled the chipset drivers and tried to install the card with the 45.xx drivers but the install programme asked for the cd that came with the card! Viewing the card in device manager or Sandra, the text runs something like "Geforce 4 Ti4200 128MB card with 31.xx drivers" Is this normal?

Anyway, leaving that aside for the moment I fired up Rivatuner. Stock speeds 250Mhz and 500Mhz, but the card is unstable the pc reboots at anything over 254 core and 502 memory! I thought the Ti4200 was a legendary overclocker, am I missing something?

Any advice on either problem much appreciated. To help out, I have 2x256MB Corsair ValueSelect on loose-ish timings, an Xdream-II HSF and a bit of a crappy generic PSU rated at 350W (I think - could a patchy supply be the problem?)

Cheers in advance
Old 1st March, 2005, 08:50 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

86 the stock cooler, they sux and will die!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2005, 10:06 AM
Steve Jobs

When you go from 3x.xx drivers to 4x.xx detonators you need to use a driver cleaner utility to remove the left over rubbish. Try "Driver Cleaner".

And as for your card, the magic drivers are called the 44.03 detonators.

for some extra zap, get the OMEGA modified 44.03 drivers.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd March, 2005, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
When you go from 3x.xx drivers to 4x.xx detonators you need to use a driver cleaner utility to remove the left over rubbish. Try "Driver Cleaner".

And as for your card, the magic drivers are called the 44.03 detonators.

for some extra zap, get the OMEGA modified 44.03 drivers.
In his post he said he used Driver Cleaner

Is this a new card or old, meaning new or old for you?

If old how was it is the other sys, and it's specs?
eVGA 6800 GT.
350 w Sparkle PS.

XFIRE= rottys
Old 2nd March, 2005, 07:25 PM

Hmm, I'm getting great results on my TI4600 with the Valance STudio 75.90 drivers..... I seem to remember using the 44.03 drivers and being damned happy to upgrade to the 5x.xx series. Guess I will load the 44.03 and try again to be sure!

AOA Team fah
Old 2nd March, 2005, 09:04 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Robbie - I have some Artic5 on the way, planning to reseat the heatsink with this....would such a modest overclock (a couple of Mhz) be causing heat crashes? I know nothing, so feel free to enlighten me!

dsio/Lionfish - I have tried Driver Cleaner to no avail but perhaps my process is wrong. 1)uninstall card, 2)remove old drivers, 3)Driver Clean any remnants out, 4) install new drivers (is it best to do this from the driver programme or through updating drivers in Device Manager?)
The card itself was bought brand new from Scan (I think, can't quite remember) I was wondering about playing with the voltages and upping the supply to the card a bit to improve stability but is this safe with stock heatsink/fan? Plus I'm not sure if the generic PSU is up to the task...how do you figure out the quality of the supply along the rails?

Think I'll leave experimenting with modified drivers alone until I get it stable as is
Old 2nd March, 2005, 09:08 PM
Steve Jobs

modified drivers are completely safe even if the card seams unstable. And upping the voltage is going to have little effect as the AGP bus doesnt directly dictate the core voltage. it cant hurt though, some cards like 1.6V rather than 1.55. over 1.6 is overkill though.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 3rd March, 2005, 05:31 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I'd still replace the cooler on it. You can get a cooler for under $10 at a Fry's. Like I said, it WILL die. Ok ok , it will start to make noise first but then it will die!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 10th March, 2005, 06:22 PM

Well, the saga continues. Decided to shut up and put up with the out of date drivers. Started carefully overclocking my memory speed to find that my 3dmarks have gone down! Is this errors creeping in, should i get some heatsinks? Starting to think its just not worth the hassle.
Old 10th March, 2005, 07:36 PM

In my experience - and that is fairly limited on Video card overclocking - you will get a much mor enoticeable result from overclocking the core clock speed than the memory speed. Also, if there are no RAM heatsinks on that card, any increase in the memory speed could cause instability.

AOA Team fah