AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd March, 2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

My 3DMark 2001 score sucks.....

On default i got about 4600.

Intel Celeron D 320 (running at 3.6ghz).
Kingston 256mb DDR400 PC3200 ram (Single Sided).
Asus P4S800-MX.
Onboard AC'97 Audio with SoundMax drivers.
MSI RX9250 128mb 8x agp(using 8x agp and fastwrites according to my mobo bios) With ati drivers version 5.2.
FireBallP AS20.5
Windows XP Home SP1 Build 2600.

Hmmm did i miss anything? oh yeah and card isn't oc'ed but set to optimal settings as far as the ati control panel is concerned. Rage3D settings don't seem to have any effect(they were installed before i re-installed xp so maybe they need a refresh).
Old 2nd March, 2005, 03:01 PM
Member/Contributer

thats about right for a 9250, overclocking should get you to about 6000

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd March, 2005, 12:38 AM
Banned

I set optimal settings for speed in Rage3d and oc'ed memory and core but only got 4782...... I could get more then this on my old hardware with less agp capabilities . Something weird going on eh?

And for some reason SmartGart doesn't show in the control panel it's dissapeared.
Old 3rd March, 2005, 12:56 AM
Member/Contributer

have you got your motherrboard drivers installed?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd March, 2005, 01:11 AM
Banned

Uhhhh i think so......i installed some stuff from the cd for usb and chipset.

The drivers were already installed though from previous hardware where i was having problems(everything reset when i rebooted and i had to remove and re-add the device). I was going to give fastwrites a try seen as both card and mobo support it but i can't enabled it without smartgart.
Old 3rd March, 2005, 01:18 AM
Member/Contributer

you don't need fastwrites as it just holds back overclocking and offers pretty much no performance gain. The problem sounds like the agp drivers aren't instaled properly. uninstall the ati drivers and use driver cleaner and uninstall the chipset drivers and use driver cleaner, then install the chipset drivers again and then re-install the latest radeon drivers.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2005, 01:25 AM
Banned

Fair enough i'll get round to that soon. Another question though:

What do you think of this card: http://umart.net/au/product_info.php...ucts_id=100630

It's not too costly and sounds decent with more mem then my current one. Then i can pass this one on down to my brother.
Old 3rd March, 2005, 01:42 AM
Member/Contributer

they aren't bad, based on the 9600 gpu I believe, but they don't overclock without softmod drivers, you might be better off scoping ebay out for a plain 9500 as these mod into 9700's

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2005, 01:43 AM
Member/Contributer

your in Aus right?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2005, 01:47 AM
Banned

Yep that's right. Im just looking for something more recent with 256 ram and on the cheap(im a poor bastard ). I gotta get more ram first though only on 256 atm.

EDIT: I was thinking of an nVidia card but couldnt find anything i liked at a good price for me. ATI seem's to fit my catergory.
Old 3rd March, 2005, 01:55 AM
Member/Contributer

nvidia don't really make good value cards below the 6600GT and these are about $300aus
don't bother looking for a 256mb vid card, it offers little performance gain until you get to the much faster, and more expensive cards
here are 2 cards I'd recomend on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....170056919&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....168548197&rd=1

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2005, 01:57 AM
Member/Contributer

the 9700 is particularly a good buy, it offers performance near that of a 9800 at nearly half the price as it better than anything in the same price range, it's about 2X as fast as the 9600 and much much faster than a 9550, it will play any current games.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2005, 02:02 AM
Banned

The second one is good price and look's decent but i never buy anything off of ebay that's why i found a localish store that has decent prices. If i could get my old stuff out of here id have a bit more money but i don't know anyone into computer's around here.

EDIT: The local pc store up the road sold my MSI RX9250 for $70 to me brand new which seems a decent price for it i might have a talk to him about some better cards.
Old 3rd March, 2005, 02:11 AM
Member/Contributer

A 9600/9600Pro would be your best option brand new, they are still capable performers, only doom3 would really tax them beyond their limits
if you can get a 9700 though they really are worth it, the performance differance is significant especially in recent games like half life2 or farcry

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2005, 02:28 AM
Banned

What about this a 9600XT:
http://umart.net/au/product_info.php...roducts_id=446

Now i just need to come up with the money for it heh.
Old 3rd March, 2005, 02:37 AM
Member/Contributer

they are quite good performers, better than the 9800SE

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2005, 02:42 AM
Banned

My board says it only supports 1.5v agp cards though should the 9600xt one be ok for this?
Old 3rd March, 2005, 03:04 AM
Member/Contributer

yeah it's an agp 8x card

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd March, 2005, 09:28 AM
Banned

Well apperently it's going to be quite some time before i can afford it (around tax time) by then a whole few generation of cards will probably fly by....... seriously they update hardware more often then software
Old 3rd March, 2005, 03:23 PM
Member/Contributer

yup
the 6600GT may be a good price by then, it's already <$300aus

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah