AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2005, 10:00 AM
Steve Jobs

Valance Studios 76.10 Driver Final

Valance studios have released a new updated version of their existing 76.10 modified drivers. The initial beta release of these modified drivers had a bug in DOOM3 that slowed performance considerably, especially with SLI machines. This bug has since been fixed, and DOOM3 is now faster than ever. Further performance and quality enhancements have been made to games and apps that use the OpenGL API to keep all those Quake Engine fans happy!

The temperature reporting bug is present in these drivers, but do not be alarmed, as it is only a reporting bug, not an actual temperature rise. Instructions for fixing this bug are included in the driver notes on AOAfiles.

As of the 21st of March 2005, these are the fastest, best looking and most stable drivers available.

Notes from AOAFiles:

Valance Studios FINAL drivers 76.10 for all Geforce, Geforce GO, Quadro and TNT2 cards. These drivers give slightly better performance than the previous 75.90 drivers, however they fix many known issues with the 75.90 set. These fixes include the de_aztec texture corruption *Fixed* halo corruption *Fixed* SLI Load balancing in Far Cry *Fixed*

These drivers have a temperature reporting bug. The drivers report temperatures up to 20 degrees celcius above normal. To fix this problem, install CoolBits 2.0 to allow the overclocking tab, and overclock your 2D, core speed by 5-20mhz. This will fix the temperature issue. Remember, overclock the 2D to fix it, overclocking the 3D speed is the same as always but has no effect on temperature reports. These drivers are expected to be similar to the next official Nvidia release. These modified drivers offer a slight performance increase over Nvidia drivers, and improved image quality.

These updated 76.10 drivers feature a major fix for DOOM3 as well as performance and quality enhancements for OpenGL applications. Highly recommended.

Anybody who experiences problems or has comments about these drivers, please post for other's benefit.
Happy gaming!

Download here:
http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=138
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles

Last edited by dsio; 21st March, 2005 at 12:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2005, 09:17 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Just got up, late night, Downloading now! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd March, 2005, 03:09 AM
Member/Contributer

Ooh you are a pain just installed the last set of 76.10 and now you dump another set upon us
seriously though thanks, downloading now

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd March, 2005, 06:56 AM
Steve Jobs

dont blame me :O
not my fault nvidia cant make up their minds

on the upside, the Nvidia Geforce 6 series is getting faster and faster each week. I said to cada not many moons ago that i predict the my 6800GT outperforming his X800XTPE within a matter of months, and i stand by that. Even if he doesnt :P
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 22nd March, 2005, 04:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd March, 2005, 05:29 PM

Great, thanks for another set of drivers

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd March, 2005, 11:04 PM
Member/Contributer

awesome, but still no support for the 1.3OpenGL or better, or so says Riddick. Gotta fix that bug!!!!!
Old 22nd March, 2005, 11:17 PM
Steve Jobs

It actually does support OpenGL all the way up to 2.0. If it supported 1.3 and lower, then Doom 3 would not be able to run with all its features enabled as doom 3 requires OpenGL 1.5. Riddick has some bugs in it that are still being solved, particularly with its shader model 2.0++ support and detection. Riddick is a work on progress but it does however show us just how beautiful these top end cards can be.

Word on the grape vine is there will be another major driver beta release from nvidia in the next month or so which will really kick it up a notch performance wise. It is being looked at, that rather than running SM2.0 games with legacy SM2.0 support, SM3.0 performance enhancements could be used on existing SM2.0 games to give the 6 series a further performance boost. This would be much along the lines of the far cry SM3.0 boosts, only implemented at a driver level. Still very much up in the air right now but a good direction to be heading in. Word is some SM3.0 optimisation will be to follow, as to date, SM3.0 has been supported, but not optimised in Nvidia drivers due to lack of game support. This could be some months off but its still something to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
Great, thanks for another set of drivers
btw no problem mate, since weve been updateing our files section on a regular basis, there have been more graphics driver downloads in the last two months than in the pervious two YEARS put together lol. check the last 6-7 downloads on the nvidia driver section, and there have been over 260 downloads in the last month alone, which is an average of 34 downloads per file, in contrast to the previous average of 4 downloads per file. As long as there is that kind of demand for them, updates will happen as soon as they are released.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Last edited by dsio; 23rd March, 2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 23rd March, 2005, 03:35 AM
Member/Contributer

oh i meant that to be sarcasitcally...i knew it WAS supported. Stupid bug got to me though, changing drivers per boot is kinda annoying :-X good to know our cards were such a good investment. Just as i was starting to think my card was falling behind the times, bam free performance city. These are holding me over till I go dothan or venice keep 'em comin!
Old 23rd March, 2005, 03:43 AM
Member/Contributer

I tryed chronicles of riddick today, very impresive graphics, unfortunately SM2.0++ is way too slow but it still looks the business in SM2.0
If they could introduce SM3 optimisations to SM2 software at the driver level that would be a great performance boost, and your predictions about 6800GT's matching X800XTPE's would probably be true

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd March, 2005, 03:58 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Will this run on a 4600ti?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd March, 2005, 04:37 AM
Member/Contributer

The 76.10? or riddick?
The XG drivers have an option for Geforce4 and older called reborn. I dunno about riddick, seeing as the xbox is a geforce4 you would think the pc version would scale down to that level but I dunno.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd March, 2005, 05:38 AM
Member/Contributer

Ok found my max overclock (417/834) and they score 4690 not bad for a rickety old 6800

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd March, 2005, 06:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Talking

i run riddick on the old 69.97 drivers when I wanna play it, looks amazing at 2.0++ its really an amazing game, its unfortunate that you can't have AA with it, because I see all the jaggies still, I'm infact noticing them more and more, I'm glad I'm not so poor I can't afford a card that can't do AA, I'd have to quit gaming forever!

Dan; it should run on 'legacy' hardware like the gf4, but it wouldn't give you the glory of what this game can do! I think at you're level you'd have to evaluate whether or ont you like the Riddick series or a prison escape with a pretty good story and good level of violence(doesn't that just describe a good time ).

Oh I'm not sure if you know, but it should run the same as doom 3 did on your system when you tried that(its based on the doom 3 engine :-D :-D)
Old 23rd March, 2005, 06:35 AM
Member/Contributer

I thought it wasn't based on the doom3 engine? I read it was called the Starbreeze Engine.
The demo of it's out now so you can give it a whirl before you buy it, most people I know who were disapointed with doom3 have said this is the game to get

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd March, 2005, 08:47 AM
Steve Jobs

Im not really sure what the engine is but it really needs some tuning. It has a huge amount of potential, much like far cry, but similarly it has some serious bug problems. Source and Doom 3 if nothing else, are well made, solid and reliable. Far cry's dubious SM3.0 support and SLI issues let it down a bit (not to say it isnt a brilliant engine) and riddick has some similar issues regaurding SM3.0 and SLI not to mention the anti aliasing issues. Once some kinks are ironed out, they will both be brilliant.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 23rd March, 2005, 02:31 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm pretty sure its Doom3, maybe the doom3 engine is called starbreeze? I mean, play the game, it looks exactly like doom 3 at some points, even the soldiers, the uniforms, a lot of the textures are the exact same...
Old 23rd March, 2005, 04:06 PM
Member/Contributer

The textures in ridick look to be a higher resolution to me, and it's no where near as dark. Also the file structure of the games directory is completely differant to dooms, if you go into the system directory, and then into one of the arch directorys there is a file called starbreeze engine with dll files for graphics and sound

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 23rd March, 2005, 06:51 PM
Member/Contributer

maybe the lighting is used differently, since the game actually had a very nice lighting/shadowing system, and the theme of the game isn't as dark as doom3 was supposed to be, then I'd wager it's just different implementation of the engine. Play Hl2 and then go play Bloodlines, same engine, but Vampire is drastically darker, because its the mood of the game.
Old 23rd March, 2005, 08:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
The 76.10? or riddick?
The XG drivers have an option for Geforce4 and older called reborn. I dunno about riddick, seeing as the xbox is a geforce4 you would think the pc version would scale down to that level but I dunno.
76.10 (reborn) now on my no#2 box. (4600Ti). Thanks Graham!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Last edited by Daniel ~; 23rd March, 2005 at 09:17 PM.