AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th May, 2005, 12:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

Drivers

would the new 7x.xx series drivers be better than the 6x.xx serires for my gfx card? evga fx 5900se

and is there any way to use riva tuner and see the temps w/ my card like the 5900-5900ult?
Old 15th May, 2005, 01:52 AM
Member/Contributer

I do think most of the optimisations have been for NV4X chips, but with a lot of the optimisations being SM2 based I think they may also benefit your card, try out the XG tweaked drivers from the download section, they have an option during install for Geforce 5 cards

As for the temperature I figure if rivatuner isn't giving a reading then the card doesn't support it, but it's worth looking if the temp readout option is checked, press the setup button and check these options
Attached Thumbnails
Drivers-12.jpg  

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th May, 2005, 05:51 AM

i dont have that selection in the monitor setup........is there a way to unlock it using the power user configurator?

EDIT: i installed the XG drivers and when i was playing Call of Duty i got a mem dump saying

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and the address was
0x0000000D1 0x00000001D 0x0000000A 0xF7C24673

is this due to an icorrect install? or is it something unrelated to the vidcard/driver

Last edited by WonderBread; 15th May, 2005 at 06:24 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th May, 2005, 09:54 AM
Steve Jobs

uninstall the previous drivers correctly, and use drivercleaner to remove them. Then download the latest 76.50 Valance studios drivers, and DONT use a download accelerator, as they fragment and corrupt downloads. Sometimes problems are caused by fragmented drivers so keep that in mind. Then install them again using the FX option. If you want to see btw, how fragmented a download is after you get it, run the disk defragmenter in analyse mode, and theres a good chance it will pop up.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 15th May, 2005, 01:31 PM
Member/Contributer

Sounds like the 5900SE chip doesn't support thermal readouts. It was a similar situation with the R350/360 chips, R350's didn't have a temp diode but the R360 did.
A good way to check if it's too hot is the old finger on theback f the core method, if you can't hold your finger there for miore than a few seconds it's too hot.

Are you overclocked? theres a chance that the overclock is too high and that previous drivers were'nt picking up on it, any way follow dsio's recomendations and perhaps increase the AGP and DDR voltage a little, I've found having my agp voltage at 1.65V pretty much stopped any blue screens I used to get

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th May, 2005, 08:33 PM

where can i get drivercleaner?
Old 15th May, 2005, 10:41 PM
Member/Contributer

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th May, 2005, 11:28 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea, thats a good idea too. Video cards are so heavily regulated that they can handle almost any voltage you can throw at them, but to do that, they DO need some voltage to play with. 1.6-1.65 is the generally recommended voltage for an nvidia card, while 1.55-1.6 is better for an ATI card as they dont handle high AGP voltages all that well.

Keep in mind that for some reason almost all motherboards overvolt the AGP bus on their own (I think mainly because they know that video cards can do with some extra voltage) so for instance, my Abits both give 1.58-1.6V while they *say* that they are giving only 1.55, so by running it at 1.6V, it keeps my 6800GT sitting on that nice upper limit of 1.64-1.65V.

And also, for the love of god, dont flash it!!!!111oneoneone
Flashing those cards is opening a massive can of worms, and when you can get better results by not flashing it at all, and overclocking / tuning the old fashioned way, I have no idea why people still do it.

This isnt just for you wonderbread, its for all 5900 owners lol...
Flashing a low end 5900 with a 5950 Ultra BIOS, does NOT make it a 5950 Ultra.

It makes it a low end 5900 with a 5950 Ultra BIOS, and stability problems to boot.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 10th June, 2005, 04:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Daishi Send a message via MSN to Daishi

It would depend on your system whether the 7 series drivers are better than the 6 series drivers. On newer systems 99 percent of the time thats the case but who knows. I would try out the 76.45 XG drivers or the upcoming 77.13 that im working on. Should be released soon.