AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th June, 2005, 02:38 AM

New video card?

My 1 year old ATI 9800XT is locking up on me constantly. I need to get a new video card that will be used primarily for gaming. I would like to keep it $400.00 or under. Any advice? Oh yeah, it needs to be an AGP interface card.
My specs:
Asus K8vSE Deluxe motherboard
1gig ram
AMD athlon 64 3000+

Thanks
Old 25th June, 2005, 03:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

i would go for the 6800GT, excellent performance for $300.00
Old 25th June, 2005, 03:53 AM
Member/Contributer

Is the 9800XT not still under guarantee?

For under $400 you options are anything from an X850XT downwards. Personally my money would go on a 6800GT for under $300 but if you want the fastest and will spend $400 then an X850 is the fastest you will get for the money

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2005, 04:15 AM
Steve Jobs

The problem with the X850XT is its old technology now. It is more powerful in most cases than the X850, but it has a better future left in it.

I would still get a 6 series given the point in time we are at.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th June, 2005, 03:20 PM

Seriously contact ATI, they will likely replace that card for you.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th July, 2005, 04:05 AM

more questions

All the 6800GT's I look at have a core frequency of 350mhz, yet the X800's are 400+. My 9800xt ran at 411 mhz. Are the 6800GT's faster or slower than the X800's?? I'm sooo confused! Somebody please explain it to me
Thanks
Mark
Old 9th July, 2005, 04:07 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Depends on the game.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 9th July, 2005, 04:36 AM

it does depend on the game and how it utilizes the gpu. for example in Doom3 the geforce 6 series beats ati practically at everything. But if you look at Farcry ATI has slightly better performance. Even with a higher clock speed does not always guarantee that you will recieve higher performance, though it may be minimal its hardly noticeable. I would opt. for the Leadtek Geforce 6800GT at newegg @ the price of $284. Best value for youre money. Also, the Geforce 6 series sports the Pixel Shader 3.0, ATI doesnt.
Old 9th July, 2005, 11:26 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Alex

All the 6800GT's I look at have a core frequency of 350mhz, yet the X800's are 400+. My 9800xt ran at 411 mhz. Are the 6800GT's faster or slower than the X800's?? I'm sooo confused! Somebody please explain it to me
Thanks
Mark
Frequencey has nothing to do with final performance these days. Its number of pipes, complexity of pipes, game optimisation, and then frequencey comes into it. Base your comparison on real world performance, or if you want to use general terms, use number of pixel pipelines.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 10th July, 2005, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
Frequencey has nothing to do with final performance these days. Its number of pipes, complexity of pipes, game optimisation, and then frequencey comes into it. Base your comparison on real world performance, or if you want to use general terms, use number of pixel pipelines.
dito. Trust us just get the 6800GT and overclock to a 6800ULTRA. can't go wrong there. AND youre saving money while you do it. there is a price drop at newegg, Leadtek 6800GT @ $275, $299 w/shipping and tax. get it while its hot!!
Old 11th July, 2005, 01:22 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Now for my next question: Would I be smarter to just get the 6800GT in AGP format, or should I make the jump to PCI-Express? I was looking at this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131533
and thinking of getting a $300 dollar-ish pci-e vid card to go with it. With this motherboard, I could still use my processor, memory, cd, dvd, hard drive, etc. Any opinions on this idea? Or should I just shut up and get the agp 6800GT. I just dont want to regret my decision in the next year or so.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 11th July, 2005, 01:42 AM
Member/Contributer

There are no benefits in having a pci-e 6800GT. I say go for the agp card for now if thats all your system is in need of and hold off until amd's new sockets are released and dual cores become mainstream before you make the jump to pci-e

Isn't your current system Socket 754 as well? it would mean a new cpu as well, and if that memory isn't 2 dimms it would mean another stick or new memory all together.

Like I said, the AGP 6800Gt will make that system a very respectable performer for 18months to 2 years depending on how fussy you are about being up to date, by which time new technologies will be available allowing a significant performance increase over what your money will get you today

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th July, 2005, 01:58 AM

I currently have this motherboard: http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm
2 sticks of 512mb PC 3200 memory, and AMD 64 3000+ processor. As long as a new agp vid card will keep me happy for the next year or so, I'll be happy.
Old 11th July, 2005, 02:39 AM
Member/Contributer

Yeah thats socket 754 which would mean a new cpu if you wanted to move to socket939 pci-e, and going to a pci-e S754 board isn't a wise choice as it's only going to hold you back when upgrading in the future and offer no performance benefits for the present.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th July, 2005, 02:42 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

almost double the graphics performance going from a 9800xt for a 6800gt. good way to end the system.
Old 11th July, 2005, 03:00 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
almost double the graphics performance going from a 9800xt for a 6800gt. good way to end the system.
Thanks for the 411, now I know what to look for.

edit

**COUGH** HOW MUCH??!?!? geez, nevermind the 411
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah

Last edited by robbie; 11th July, 2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11th July, 2005, 04:34 AM
Steve Jobs

Just get your Cadilac driving, Jamaican holiday making arse over to the computer store and buy one rob. sif complain about the price :P

Tell the missus it was $30
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 11th July, 2005, 04:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Robbie, do you want a 6800 but your missus wont let you, because they cost so much?

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64