AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th July, 2005, 10:39 PM

More problems with 6800LE! Blocky Textures

All of a sudden i've started getting blocky textures in games, when i say blocky i mean blocks the size of about 50x50pixels! It's making games like NFSU:2 and WOW very hard to look at! i feel like i've stepped back into the realms of DOS games right now!

I thought it might be something to do with a defective pipe, so i disabled all the masked pipes, and just for good measure put the card to stock clocks. No improvement, it was working perfect before, NFSU:2 looked great with everything on max settings. What the hell is wrong with my card? Any ideas or suggestions of what i can do to get it to work, increasing AA does nothing, increasing texture filtering does nothing, decreasing them does nothing, putting everything on lowest setting does nothing.

Here's an example:
Attached Thumbnails
More problems with 6800LE! Blocky Textures-blockytextures.jpg  
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2005, 10:47 PM
Member/Contributer

that looks like texture filtering is disabled, I don't actually know if you can disable/enable this thorugh control panel options so I'd recomend uninstaling the drivers, doing a driver cleaner run and re-installing them

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2005, 10:49 PM

Bah i've just done that to get the XG77.76 installed! Sodding thing!

Oh well i'll give that a try, but not tonight, i'll get it done tomorow.

Any other suggestions?

BTW VERY quick response, thank you!!!
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 30th July, 2005, 11:39 PM
Member/Contributer

try turning triliniear optimisations off, you need to be in performance and quality settings of the forceware control panel, and set it to advanced mode, then just disable the trilinear optimisation setting. Check to see if this worked, if it did try enabling it again and check if the problems back

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 30th July, 2005, 11:49 PM

Just tried all those, tried forcing 8x anisotropic filtering and 8x aa, did nothing, tried disabling trilinear optimization and disabling it, did nothing, i'll just have to re-install the drivers tomorow! hope that fixes it!
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah
Old 31st July, 2005, 02:01 AM
Member/Contributer

If it does it in more than one game it's almost certainly a driver problem, I can't imagine a hardware fault would disable such a specific feature

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st July, 2005, 04:45 AM
Steve Jobs

This doesnt happen with any other game does it? The pixelation bug is a known issue with NFSU2 from a long time ago.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 31st July, 2005, 04:47 AM
Steve Jobs

To fix it in NFSU2, fiddle with the texture filtering settings in the game, and ALSO fiddle with the filtering settings in the driver settings. That should fix it. search NFSU2 pixelation on google and you will find a hundred other people with similar issues across hundreds of drivers.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 31st July, 2005, 10:31 AM

It happens in WOW too though! Other games seem to be completely fine! On WOW if i try to change the multi sampling to anything other than 1x my screen starts flickering!

Ok i'll try and see if i can fix it if it's a bug with NFSU2. But i've tried all sorts of combinations of texture filtering, aa, trilinear optimizations off/on etc.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I fixed NFSU:2 but wow is still having the same blocky textures problem. I'll have a fiddle with the forceware settings for that later on.

To fix NFSU:2 i turned every single setting off, then in game turned em all back on again. Worked like a charm. Strange bug that.
2x 2GB OCZ Hiper 1066mhz
ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB
Samsung Syncmaster 15"

Apple Macbook Pro
15'' Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz
X1600 Mobility Radeon
Boot camp Mac os X/Vista

AOA Team fah

Last edited by devilmyarse; 31st July, 2005 at 11:11 AM.