AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd August, 2005, 11:36 PM

Connecting SLI

Does anyone know how an SLI system connects to the monitor? Do you need a monitor with two dvi ports? Or does everything run through one card?
Old 2nd August, 2005, 11:39 PM

It runs through one card.
Old 3rd August, 2005, 12:09 AM

Thank you
Old 3rd August, 2005, 12:54 AM
Member/Contributer

Theres a bridge connector between the two card so you only connect to the one dvi/vga output

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th August, 2005, 12:26 AM

Reply to SLI Video connector

I run a SLI ASUS A8N Deluxe with two Nvidia 6800 GT cards. Make sure you do the following. Enable SLI in bios, use the 4 prong power connector to the motherboard, and make sure you use the blue slot as your video connector. If you use the black slot, you will not get a signal.
Dual Channel
AMD 4800 64 Venice Processor
(4) Sata Seagate 160 gig Drives (raid array)
(1) Maxtor External 120 gig USB 2.0
SoundBlaster X-fi Platinum
Bose Desktop companions with Sub Woofer
Koolance PC3 Case (all hardware water/gylcol cooled)
Temps: Unloaded 93 (F) Loaded 101 (F)
Samsung Cd-R/RW 52x24x52
Memorex DVD-R/RW 8X
WinXP SP2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th August, 2005, 12:23 PM

Question SLI Connection

Hi. I have a system running both the A8N and the nVidia 6800. I've connected the monitor with a DVI cable into one of the sockets, and it works fine. I'm not clear whether I should dig out an old VGA lead and connect this as well? Does the VGA lead supplement the DVI, or is it unnecessary to have both?
I actually tried to RTM on this one, and realised I don't have one!
Thanks!
Old 9th August, 2005, 01:16 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's unnecessary to have both. The VGA connector is just an analog only version of what goes over the DVI connector. The DVI-I connector provides both analog and digital.
Old 9th August, 2005, 01:39 PM

Talking

Nice one, thanks a lot.
Old 9th August, 2005, 01:48 PM

And usually, the DVI connector gives very slightly higher quality.
Old 9th August, 2005, 01:54 PM
Steve Jobs

More importantly the DVI usually means you dont have to set monitor geometry stuff, like horizontal width and vertical height and get it centred etc. That is the main benefit to me of it.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 9th August, 2005, 02:13 PM

Ah! I noticed that, and just thought it was a clever monitor (Duh!).
I've been living in the dark ages for a few years now. When you go from using three year old white goods and a laptop that struggles with mp3's, you really get the WOW factor on a decent system.
Thankyou for your help.
Old 9th August, 2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio
More importantly the DVI usually means you dont have to set monitor geometry stuff, like horizontal width and vertical height and get it centred etc.
Only if you're using DVI on an LCD display. With DVI on a CRT, you will have the fun of adjusting the monitor.