AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st August, 2005, 03:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

nVidia caught 'optimizing' again?!?!

According to this story at 3DCenter, the folks at nVidia have been caught with their hands in the optimizer again. This time, the problem centers around the G70 (aka GF 7800) and NV40 (aka GF 6800) chips and the 16xAF mode. Apparently, nVidia is being over aggressive in their optimizations, and the result is 'shimmering' in their 'high quality' mode. nVidia has promised a driver fix to be released soon which will address the issue. It remains to be seen what kind of performance hit will be involved; some places are suggesting that the performance hit may be as high as 30%, although I think that will be a bit high. 10% seems like a more realistic number, but we won't know for sure until the new drivers come out.

Have you seen this 'shimmer' problem? What do you think about it? Tell us!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2005, 06:30 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

It's there, it's bad, and i'm a pissed camper. remrmber me bitching about colinmcrae giving bad performance...wel...that's just part of the story. Issues are fixed in newest driver, 78.03, however.

Last edited by cadaveca; 31st August, 2005 at 06:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st August, 2005, 06:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to benighted Send a message via MSN to benighted

My 6800U is very slow with BF2 on anything past medium settings.

Buy AVG Anti-Virus and Support AOA!!
AOA Team fah
Silent water cooled system:
Zalman Reserator 1.1
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice @ 2400MHZ
Epox 9NDA3+
2GB GSkill PC3200
Maxtor 10 SATA X2 RAID0
eVGA 6800 Ultra 256MB

Old 1st September, 2005, 12:05 AM

Hey giz, what abour radiosity? if a game or the driver were to use it on the gpu instead of cpu...G70 supports this...5% performance gain, maybe...i think.
Old 1st September, 2005, 12:44 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Not sure I understand what you are on about, Cad? Radiosity?
Old 1st September, 2005, 01:04 AM

Radiosity.

Corsair CX 750W | TP-Link Archer | MSI Z-390A Pro | ASUS GTX 1060 3GB Phoenix | Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200 | Corsair Carbide 275R | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 500GB Samsung 860 EVO + 120GB Kingston SV300 | Sony BT Headphones/Anker BT Speaker| ASUS TUF Gaming VG24V | Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed | Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
Old 1st September, 2005, 02:23 AM
Steve Jobs

If you use Xtreme-G modded drivers instead of Nvidia ones anyway there is no problem however. The XGs without cheating still perform better than the normals, with cheating.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 1st September, 2005, 06:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Hey giz, what abour radiosity? if a game or the driver were to use it on the gpu instead of cpu...G70 supports this...5% performance gain, maybe...i think.
Ok, now I understand a bit better. However, I would think you would WANT to do this in the GPU instead of the CPU by default, unless you just don't have enough GPU horsepower to push it. Wouldn't you?
Old 1st September, 2005, 06:39 AM

THat's my point...it's done at the cpu currently. So part of the gpu is not getting used. Optimizations aren't the only problem.
Old 4th September, 2005, 07:25 AM

soooo the problem wit pixelation or watever you wanna call it when i unlock 16 pipes can be fixed???? or did i read this wrong...