AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th September, 2005, 09:45 PM

The little wires that won't

Sorry if this is off topic but I wasnt' sure where else to drop this one. So just over a year ago a friend and I decided to embark on the fabulous journey of constructing me a computer. This was just over a year ago and it still isn't running properly. He told me he knew what he was doing but.....well here's the thing, the front panel has two usb ports, a headphone jack and a mic. They dont work. Now I'm by far not the most experience computer guy when it comes to the internal workings. I'm just learning as I go along. So my so-called buddy decided to just up and take off and basically left me hanging. So I'm here to ask for a little help.
Now I've got a ASUS A7N8X-X mobo and my tower is....well all the box says is TK009. I'm trying to get the front panel working but the diagram in the book doesn't match the cables I have. the Diagram looks like:
MIC2 ~~ ~~ AGND
MICPWR ~~ ~~ +5VA
Line out_R ~~ ~~ BLINE_OUT_R
NC ~~
Line out_L ~~ ~~BLINE_OUT_L

But the cables I have are, Mic -yellow, Mic - green, L - red, R - Blue and G - black. I'm sure I can figure what they are, but not where they go. And I don't want to put them in the wrong spots. Anyone know what I can do?
Also the USB to the front panel is connected but they don't work. I even have problems with the back ones which are on board. So I'm lost and frustrated. For me to use the back ones I have to unplug the device and plug it back in, sometimes I have to restart. So printing, camera, cell phone and my ipod are all a bitch to use. Does the front panel need to be activated or something? Anyone got any advice or another site I can try? Sorry for the long rant, but I just quit smoking. Later.
kowboi

Last edited by kowboi; 19th September, 2005 at 09:48 PM. Reason: my diagram wasn't lookin right, and won't
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th September, 2005, 10:03 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

Apart from the usb's and front audio, does everything else on ur pc work ok?
what operating system are you using?
do u have the mobo jumpers set for the front panel audio/usb? if thats an option on ur board.
is your buddy every coming back then?
Old 19th September, 2005, 10:08 PM

Everything else is satisfactory. could be faster though. But thats soemthing to worry about later. I'm on WinXP home. What are jumpers? the wires? My buddy is not coming back. No one seems to know where he is.
Old 19th September, 2005, 11:00 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

jumpers are small pins on the motherboard that are bridged by a small cap to make a conection, like the clear cmos and fsb selector jumpers.

for instance, on my mobo if i want to use the front panel audio i would need to change a jumper so the mobo would know to turn off the back panel and turn on the front.
look in the mobo manual and check all ur jumper settings are in the right position. It should also tell you which jumpers need to go where to get the front audio working.

The wires u are talking about, do u have a rough idea of where on the mobo they have to be plugged in? but ur just not sure of which one goes where?
Old 19th September, 2005, 11:19 PM

Oh. the little blue things that are on them right now? They're connecting the back right now, but if I unhook them then the back won't work right? and I want front and back working. Just so at night I can plug in my headphones and not disturb the neighbors. I'm pretty sure if I hook the L to the out L and the R to the R out I'll get sound out the front, but won't that prevent sound from the front?
And what about the USB?
Old 19th September, 2005, 11:27 PM

do u have service pack 2 installed?
Old 19th September, 2005, 11:43 PM

yes
Old 19th September, 2005, 11:55 PM

a simple solution would be to buy a pair of pc speakers with a mic jack in, then plug ur headphones into that.

ive got to go to bed now early start, the best i can do is ask an electrition at work tomorrow, they will know how to match the wires up.

if no1 answers you before hand that is.

so this is the connection on ur mobo:
MIC2 ~~ ~~ AGND
MICPWR ~~ ~~ +5VA
NC ~~

and these are the wires coming from the front panel:
Mic -yellow, Mic - green, L - red, R - Blue and G - black.

is that correct???
or are these:
MIC2 ~~ ~~ AGND
MICPWR ~~ ~~ +5VA
NC ~~
coming from the front panel??
Old 19th September, 2005, 11:59 PM

Those diagrams are the same
Old 20th September, 2005, 12:06 AM

sorry, maybe um not making myself clear.
u said the diagram you have doesnt match the cables.
are the cables coming from the front panel, and is the diagram of the connections on the motherboard?
Old 20th September, 2005, 10:31 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowboi
Mic -yellow, Mic - green, L - red, R - Blue and G - black
From the connection details you've given for the front panel, the case you've have is not wired up in a manner to pass the sound back to the motherboard if nothing is plugged in the front. Frontpanels wired that way have one pair of wires to take the left and right to the frontpanel, and another pair of wires to return the left and right back to the motherboard if nothing is plugged in the front.

The USB sounds like the wiring on the case might be different to the wiring on the motherboard. Exercise caution with USB, as it is possible to short out the USB power and potentially do damage to the motherboard.