AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th February, 2002, 09:32 PM

memory or video card

which is most important?im going to build a system for a freind and hes low on cash.hes using an amd1700xp and wants to use ddr ram.would it be better to get 128megs of ram and a geforce3 ti200 card or 256 megs of ram and a geforce 2 ti 200 card?he will be playing games alot,like n2002 and medal of honor.or should i sanve money on the cpu buy using a duron and put more oney in the ram and v.card?thanks for the replys.
Old 24th February, 2002, 11:03 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome aboard, edodge9! Not easy decisions, for sure. I think 256 Mb of RAM is a must. The 128 Mb "standard" left town at least a year ago. Sorry that the present prices for RAM are back into seller, rather than user friendly territory.

When in doubt, I favor expense in the basic core zone of PC's. Such as mainboards, HDD's, CPU's and RAM. Rather than spending just to be able to show off that my Soundcard is British Racing Green.

I don't understand whether your friend already has an XP 1700+, or is in need of a CPU. Even though a 1.3 Ghz Duron gives one respectable performance, I just don't think that a serious gamer could abide less than an Athlon. The poor guy wouldn't be able to sleep soundly until an Athlon inhabited his box.

Buying the RAM and Athlon/Athlon XP puts you into less expensive Vidcard territory.

It's possible that your friend's hardware priorities are very different than mine. Why not talk to your friend and really find out what s/he wants?
Old 24th February, 2002, 11:20 PM

thanks for the reply.games is it.looking at cpus dont have one yet.do already have a new case with 400w supply.amd is a must.i was looking into 256megs of ram and the geforce2 ti200 64meg card.i was just wondering if that would be enough.thanks again.
Old 24th February, 2002, 11:52 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If your PC is resorting back to the virtual memory on the HDD all the time, the best video card in the world will feel like garbage.

Get as much ram as you (or your friend can afford). It is a core component that will impact performance everywhere. I personally believe WinXP systems should all have 512mb or more. My systems have 512, 384, 256, & 192. And it shows. Also, make sure you use a single 256 stick. It may not be long before you want to add more.

With video cards, bleeding edge always costs a fortune, then drops like crazy within a few months, imho.
Old 25th February, 2002, 12:02 AM

The memory! Get the Memory! go with the Gf2 or less and plan on a future upgrade, You (He) needs at least 256M or the whole machine will feel slow. in 6-months or a year there will be better cheaper Video cards and the computer will still be fine.
Old 25th February, 2002, 12:40 AM

If you building a gaming PCthen you have to have a geforce3
A geforce2 is just about passable now..but in 6months time it wont be any good and you will have to spend again to upgrade.
(loosing the money you spent on the geforce2)

If you get 128mb of ram your PC wont run right.
On the up side adding another 128mb is easy..and you can keep the memory you still have.

When I built my PC I had a geforce3 512mb ram (it was cheap then) and a duron 800 oc to 1044.
Changing to a XP-1700 @1700 didnt make games much faster.
The duron did a very good job once running at a good fsb (100mhz fsb held things back allot)

Thats probably what Id recomend.
Get a decent DDR board.
256mb ram
Geforce3
Cheap duron (and OC it to hell)
Then save up for a .13 thoroughbread.. in 6 months time you will still have a great system.

That will give you a kick ass system and keep you in budget.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.

Last edited by Holst; 25th February, 2002 at 12:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th February, 2002, 01:32 AM

thanks for the replys everybody.they have helped alot.
Old 25th February, 2002, 01:49 AM

holst,you mentioned going with a duron now then upgrading to a tbred later,do you know what motherboards(chipset) i could buy tha would support them?
Old 25th February, 2002, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edodge9
holst,you mentioned going with a duron now then upgrading to a tbred later,do you know what motherboards(chipset) i could buy tha would support them?
Its not official yet but I think that the 8kha+ will support it..as epox tech has said the that effect.

And the newer epox KT333 based board will support it.
I think that board will be a better buy than an 8kha+ if you can get one (im not sure if there released yet)

As the Thoroughbread used a 133mhz fsb socket A and a lower voltage I think most of the newer crop of DDR boards will support it....but the only one ive heard anything about is the epox boards.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th February, 2002, 12:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
Originally posted by edodge9
that's what I would do, start with a good mobo, half a gig of ram and a cheap cpu and then get a new tbred later.