AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th October, 2005, 12:01 AM

Horizontal tearing with an LCD?

Hi,

having had a CRT monitor, I've been noticing this, let's call it "H-sync" problem with my new Neovo 19" LCD (1280x1024x60Hz native, 6800GT thru DVI) when playing movies or videos in general, even in some games (Pro Evolution Soccer being the most noticeable).

Sometimes, when there's a more abrupt vertical pan in the video, I can see a sort of tearing (horizontal line) in the middle of the LCD screen.

Now I'm pretty familiar with the V-sync issue, but why would I get a H-sync one with this brand new (and quite good) LCD of mine? V-sync you can enable/disable in the drivers, but what about when the screen tears in the horizontal direction?

Thanks for any help.
Old 15th October, 2005, 12:48 AM
Steve Jobs

no, that is Vsync. Because your LCD has an even lower refresh rate than your CRT, it tears more. Turn Vsync on, or try tripple buffering.

Vsync, is when you notice a tearing line, that is horizontal, or across the screen.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2005, 09:25 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

As dsio says, horizontal tearing is often the result of no vsync.
Old 15th October, 2005, 10:27 AM

I'm thinking about setting the LCD refresh rate to 75Hz, will that cause any problems when the native is 1280x1024x60Hz?
Old 15th October, 2005, 10:52 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The LCD panel itself runs at 1280x1024x60Hz - the electronics in the monitor will convert whatever image you send to them to that size/refresh. Try it and see what happens!
Old 15th October, 2005, 12:36 PM
Steve Jobs

you could try using a frame limiter in game, but vsync is the best solution. Overloading the GPU works too believe it or not.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th October, 2005, 12:40 PM
Steve Jobs

You see, tearing is caused because the GPU is able to output far more frames than the monitor can handle, causing two different, non alligned GPU outputted frames to be rendered on the screen, in the single monitor cycle.

If you had a great monitor, and a terrible GPU (an ATI for example :P) you wouldnt have the problem. The issue is that the 6800GT is powerfull enough to produce between 2 and 5 times the frame rate an LCD can handle.

My solution is to tripple buffer, as that allows the frame culling to be more effective and since I game at 100hz, there is less culling.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 15th October, 2005, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all your help. So it's the V-sync problem after all? Hhhm, who would have thought?