AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th November, 2005, 11:35 PM

X800GTO Review

I've not had much luck with hardware. But my new PC has been amazing.
Everything in it....works.
And the best bit? My brand-new Connect 3D X800GTO.

The X800GT and GTO cards are cut-down high end Ati chips which are being offloaded to make way for the new X1800 cards. These chips can be anything, from X850 R480s or R420s.
The GT Cards have 8 pipelines, and higher clock/memory speeds than the GTOs. But the GTOs have more pipelines, 12.

The Connect 3D card runs at 400/980 speeds with 256MB of memory, however this is just a guideline. The cards do vary slightly. The Connect 3D is also the only other card other than the powerful Sapphire X800GTO2, that can have it's extra pipelines unlocked. It will not, however, perform like an X850 but does come close.
This simple unlocking is done by following a procedure on the TechPowerUP! Forums.
At default pipelines, the connect3D performs admirably. It is vastly superior to the 6600GT, achieving higher FPs by anything up to a 30FPS difference. It's also the only mid-range card capable of playing Far Cry and Half Life 2 at 1,600 x 1,200.
With the extra pipelines however, the Connect 3D Card is a monster. Framerates shoot up by up to 25FPS in Battlefield 2. In fact, the performance is so good it equals, and sometimes out-performs, the 6800GT. For a card costing £130, this is a staggering achievement.
Battlefield 2 runs at maximum settings (1280x1024) with an easily playable framerate (Average 43Fps). It makes the game look extremely beautiful.
But the GTO cards to have a setback, the lack of SM3. Shader Model 3.0 is set to make a big impact in 2006, however SM4 is already scheduled so you may find by the time your GTO card is obsolete, an SM4 card is what you'll need anyway.
The Connect 3D comes in retail packaging, with plenty of connection cables but no bundled games or software. The card has a single slot cooler that easily copes with overclocking.
All in all, unless you are in love with Shader Model 3, the Connect 3D is without a doubt the mid-range card of choice, possibly only beaten by Sapphires X800GTO2.

If you have £130, this is the card to buy.
Attached Thumbnails
X800GTO Review-cards.jpg  
Old 5th November, 2005, 04:19 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Talking

I am in love with SM 3.0, sorry
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th November, 2005, 04:34 PM

Old 5th November, 2005, 05:12 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghastpumpkin
I've not had much luck with hardware. But my new PC has been amazing.
Everything in it....works.
And the best bit? My brand-new Connect 3D X800GTO.

The X800GT and GTO cards are cut-down high end Ati chips which are being offloaded to make way for the new X1800 cards. These chips can be anything, from X850 R480s or R420s.
The GT Cards have 8 pipelines, and higher clock/memory speeds than the GTOs. But the GTOs have more pipelines, 12.
Your card is a 16-pipe monster x800xt. Flash that bios and give it a try!(12 pipes is a x800pro, and they did not have pci-e power connectors. I've got one of those cards on the way as well, also the x800GTO2 is on it's way, thanks to robbie.
THe connect3d GTO is x800xt, the sapphire GTO2 is x850xt.
Old 6th November, 2005, 11:15 PM

So that's what it actually is! Thanks! I have oc'd it, but I haven't unlocked mine yet......a bit scared.
What do people think of the review is it any good.
Old 7th November, 2005, 03:40 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Flashing bioses is no big deal..no different than flashing the bios for you motherboard. If the bios does not do what it wants, you simply flash back to the original bios. You cen extract this using Flashrom, or from windows using ATITool.