AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th January, 2006, 06:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to saquib

Exclamation 3dmark 06

okay it was a pure sadness and disapointment. honestly it was very little visually improved compared to the performance degrade! my scores somewhere around above 3K in default settings. OMG, specially the CPU benchmarking was (a shame?) with FPS @ stunning 0 FPS as well!!! (were they expecting me to run a Sony/IBM's CELL powered PC?) 7800GTX(256), AMD Winchester64 3500+, 1GB DDR400PC3200Kingston .... wasn't supposed to be this bad was it? What are they trying to benchmark anyway? honestly if with these hardware set ups you get this kind of performance in games at late 2006 or early 2007 (games designed for Vista?), then PS3 should be a better option. I've tried lowering settings, yeah the perfrmance do get nice but CPU score still sucks. Any tweaks, driver releases for GPU/CPU to help us here?
Old 29th January, 2006, 06:44 PM
Steve Jobs

Your system is severely crippled for some reason. You should probably be thankfull that 3DMark exposed it really. Read the system in my sig. That system scores 2890.

You have a serious issue to get sorted. If you're interested, I'll talk to you about it in the morning or someone else here can help you with it. I'm off to bed right now.

'Night.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2006, 06:09 AM

ill be happy if you can just add me in msn: saquib_h@msn.com
Old 30th January, 2006, 06:42 AM

Exclamation

HERE ARE MORE DETAILS ON MY SCORE... AND IT REALLY SHOWS AT 0 FPS ON CPU BENCHMARK!

Attached Thumbnails
3dmark 06-3dmark06_score.gif  
Old 30th January, 2006, 06:52 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

0fps is normal on the Cpu test, You should be able to get a few more points out of it but you arent far off what you should be getting, 4k seems about the target with similar specs to yours.

Join our F@H team today.. http://www.team45.info/
Are you a subscriber? No? well then, why not....
Subscribe to AOA for a better experience and faster downloads!
How to unlock and overclock your Nvidia 6800
BIOS Volt-mod your 7800gt

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2006, 07:22 AM
Steve Jobs

4K is 33% more than what hes currently getting. Thats a fair bit :P

You've gone from 3k up to 3.7k which is a decent start though.

Whats your current overclock, what drivers are you using, and whats your current CPU overclock?
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th January, 2006, 07:31 AM
5 Card Draw Champion, Tomb Digger Champion, Alpha Force Champion, Autobahn Champion, Big Bird Hunting Champion, Mumu Champion, Attack of the Tweety Zombies Champion

100(3767/4000)=106.2(approx)

I think you mean about 6%

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2006, 07:41 AM

actually unless it's a 512mb gtx 3700 is fine for that system seeing as mine at stock gets a 3900 and the 512 on mycard will make for a significant boost in 06, (not to mention the 200MHZ and 512 L2 cache extra on the cpu) unless you have a dual core 3dmark 06 runs like crap. my current best oc score is 4432.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=67078
if I had a dual core it'd be over 5000.
Old 30th January, 2006, 08:15 AM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
100(3767/4000)=106.2(approx)

I think you mean about 6%
Read his original post (the one I read before posting). It says a little over 3k.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th January, 2006, 08:29 AM

AOA Team fah
Old 30th January, 2006, 12:56 PM

im just using a 3% dynamic overclock in bios. and also auto overclocked the gpu. nothing special, pretty much factory settings, cuz im confused wid manual memory timings for good overclock (lil help will be helpful). but im using only stock cooling though.

im sorry, i din chk my score da first time, it was below 3.7k; but i think was a lot over 3K. actually i was more focused on the poor performance of the cpu.

hardware wise, would another similar gpu (SLI) give good performance boost? and what could be the suggested dual core cpu for my current spec and a sli spec? would another 256mbGTX a good upgae, or should i hold these tough times and wait for the next DX powered GPU?
Old 30th January, 2006, 01:05 PM
Steve Jobs

Hard to say.

This is what I do, and I find it to be a very effective method of staying current.

Grab every CPU cycle halfway through. This way it isnt too old, but doesn't have teething problems.

And grab every SECOND GPU cycle. I skip every other GPU generation, for example, I bought in this order:

Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64

Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS

Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4600

Nvidia Geforce 6 6800GT

My next purchase: Nvidia Geforce 8 8800GTX

I've never been in a position where I couldn't play the absolute latest games at high quality by doing that.

So following that, your next purchase would be Geforce 9. Its an effective method really.

As for your RAM, what RAM is it? I'm not brilliant with RAM timings, as Cadaveca and Wild Andy C both are far better with it, but I know enough to get you there for the most part.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th January, 2006, 01:19 PM

i support the idea of skipping a generation too. mine started with 3dfx voodoo 3, den geforce 2 mx den fx 5600 and den 7800gtx. im using kingston's DDR400PC3200 256MBx4 RAMs. wud ipost more specs from bios for easier understanding?

btw, i was thinkin, wid dual core cpu's would i be able to eliminate the need for PhysX cards?? just a thought on ma mind !
Old 30th January, 2006, 01:24 PM
Steve Jobs

I honestly cant tell you... and I doubt anyone could. We still have no idea exactly what Aegia has in the PhysX card. Its a waiting game really.

What motherboard do you have? I can download the manual for it and have a look.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th January, 2006, 01:46 PM

my motherboard's MSI's K8N SLI Platinum (nForce 4 SLI).
Here's the link:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=641
Old 30th January, 2006, 02:11 PM
Steve Jobs

OK, go into your timings, and look through the options.

Change from Auto to Manual, and then you should have all the manual options available, but you should have all of the default settings present in the options.

Make sure command rate is set to 1T. This is one of the most important points. Leave CAS at its default, and leave DDR speed at default.

Tras should be 8-10, fiddle with that as you please.

I think to get the command rate setting you need to set user config mode to manual, and then set 1T/2T memory timing to 1T.

Now, your winchester might not like 4 banks of DDR at 1T. If it doesnt, just back it down to 2T. Some people <can> get away with 1T on winchesters.

enable aggressive timing.

Now, to let you overclock more, you need to drop the HT multiplier to 4X, and also drop the DDR speed to 333Mhz. Then you can set your HTT to 250Mhz, and get a nice little starter overclock.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th January, 2006, 05:39 PM

Thanx A Lot. Im Starting To Work On It Now.
Old 30th January, 2006, 06:37 PM

ok, system has problem booting with 1T, so i chnaged that to 2T again. one querry is, how do i set my DDR to 333? I changed the memlock index value to 166 MHz. is dat wat im s'posed to do? and the Tras is 8. i changed the HT to 4X as u asked!
Old 30th January, 2006, 06:45 PM
Steve Jobs

Yea I expected the 1T problem. Sorry, you are right, the BIOS gives the Pre-DDR clock, so you need to drop from 200Mhz down to 166Mhz.

4X HT multiplier will give you room to crank it.

For the CPU HTT, this is what you do.

Start with 220Mhz. Run CPU-Z and check your DDR clock. If its below 200Mhz, increase the HTT more, and keep doing it until the DDR clock is as close to 200Mhz as possible.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 30th January, 2006, 06:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Super Nade

I think the AEGIA PhysX chip will take the AI computational load off the CPU. Take for example LOTR BFME, a decent game but very badly written. It is a CPU hog at higher resolutions !!

That would be understandable if CPU usage scaled with AI difficulty, but this is unacceptable. I don't think AEGIA chips would be used by ATI, simply because the ATi architecture can be tuned to perform ancillary computational tasks. People are already working on distributed computing clients which utilize the ATi GPU (FAH and BOINC). I'm not sure if this can be done on an NV card.

You cannot hope that DC CPU's would eliminate the need for PhysX cards. I get about 10 fps at high resolutions on a badly written game like BFME. Remember that there is always a latency penalty when game AI is computed on the CPU. Given taht and Windows XP's poor implimentation of ACPI Multiprocesor standards (and possibly poor HW/SWsupport for NUMA in S939 Mainboards if one uses Opterons like I do), you will have less than optimal performance.

Heck, I installed the MS DC hotfix but I still have problems (notably in the memory BW area). I'll post my findings regarding this issue pretty soon.

I'd conclude by saying that unless MS improves their OS support, peoplewillstill ahveproblems irrespective of the hardware.

Tags
3dmark