AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th October, 2001, 02:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

Sound Card SKipping

Sound card skipping.

is it my card? (SB 128).

I used to use an a3d on my bp6 and it would carry on playing mp3's even when the whole pc crashed! lol. But this one jumps around all over the place as if the cpu has a large role to play. any ideaS?
Old 6th October, 2001, 04:29 PM
Banned

It's on the tip of my tongue...

VIA drivers, overclock unstable, audio drivers not playing nice, PCI slot addressing (in which case move the card to another slot), ham and cheese, IRQ conflict, etc etc

I would imagine you've already tried most of these, but knowing zilch about your system, those are my first best guesses.

That's not to say I could help fix this even if I did have your system specs, the only sound issues I've ever had were disabling onboard sound (as a newbie) and finding drivers for an old ISA card...
Old 6th October, 2001, 04:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

same thing here like lets say my computers monitor suts off or something like that and i move the mouse to turn back on the music skips in winamp
Old 6th October, 2001, 11:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

sounds like either the pci latency timer is too low or too high, or another device on the bus is locking up the bus for too long, does it seem to happen during hd activity, or when the graphics card is doing 3d stuff, or all the time even if the only thing running at all or being used is a sound app?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th October, 2001, 11:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
sounds like either the pci latency timer is too low or too high, or another device on the bus is locking up the bus for too long, does it seem to happen during hd activity, or when the graphics card is doing 3d stuff, or all the time even if the only thing running at all or being used is a sound app?
yeah it is during hard drive activity
Old 7th October, 2001, 12:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber

yeah it is during hard drive activity
Well if it's during hardrive activity it's either the system being low on memory and the swap file being needed, bad ide drivers, dma not being enabled, or too high a pci latency for the ide controller.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 9th October, 2001, 10:53 PM

I get a simular prob in 2K/XP with SB 16 and SB64
got enough RAM (512)
PCI latency is 0
DMA is on
and i know the IDE drivers are good as i get the same prob if using my mainbords IDE or my promise ultra TX2 card

I personaly think it is an issue with the NT kernal or the Soundcard is not 100% compatible with NT, being drivers or hardware.
as i have never had this problem in ANY OS (DOS, 9X, Linux, BeOS)
other than an NT based one.

Reason i think this is because I have tried everything to get it to work. Diff PCI slots, IRQ's MEM adress's, Drivers.... NEw install of the OS... and nothing.(did i miss anything)

I know Creative has a patch for the Live serries of cards to fix this problem.. but have not relased anything for the PCI serries... maby it thier little way to get us to upgrade.

null
Old 10th October, 2001, 07:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to Spode

What is the best sound card available? I'm not talking functionailty. I just don't want it to skip. My a3d was great but is not compatibl with via chipsets

is the DB128 software or something not hardware? Is that why the chips are smal?
Old 10th October, 2001, 03:34 PM
Banned

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz boasts the most compatibility and performance for the buck.

Creative wishes it were this able.