AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2008, 04:01 PM

The CPU test runs 0 to 2 fps on just about every rig. Just the way it is.
Old 4th September, 2008, 05:03 PM
Irreverent Query Chairman

A word of warning-if you want to fold with that card, I *think* that you need drivers 174.55 or newer. That was the first F@H approved CUDA Driver, announced when the client was brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuknow View Post
Now you have to tell me how...
Damned if I know. I *think* it might have sumtin' to do wit' some 500per special memory runnin' at DDR3-17xx? mebbe
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]
#3, #4: Opteron 170@2.75G nude, A8N-SLI Deluxe, Gentoo

AOA Folding @HomeOur sister site: www.gamersonlinux.com

Last edited by ThunderRd; 4th September, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2008, 05:24 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorPorMe View Post
I tried the 177.35 and that's a no go. I can't use any of the 177.** drivers.
I tried a couple of the Omega drivers-they won't recognize my drivers so they won't install.

I tried a forceware driver-no go.

I,m back to the 174.16 for 9600GT and I'm done driver hunting for now.

Question. Will this card and/or driver use Physx if it is installed?
Did you used Driver Cleaner to totally get all of the old drivers out before installing the new ones? After using this always reboot to have the registry values erased as well.
This alone will cause driver issues!
That and always make sure to have your AV & Spyware programs either disabled or turned off when installing the graphics card drivers!

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2008, 06:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRd View Post
A word of warning-if you want to fold with that card, I *think* that you need drivers 174.55 or newer. That was the first F@H approved CUDA Driver, announced when the client was brand new.

Damned if I know. I *think* it might have sumtin' to do wit' some 500per special memory runnin' at DDR3-17xx? mebbe
Did you post here somewhere how to assign one per card? If so i missed it. I should be able to run two GPU clients.
Old 4th September, 2008, 09:49 PM

Here is a tidbit for all of you who don't know it [I think that goes for all that have been trying to help here!] HDTV/S-video is backwards compatible with S-video. It took me a Radio Shack and 4 Computer stores to find that out! All I had to do was plug it in and set up both XP and Nvidia for TV-out just like normal but the pin count and placement are totally different but s-video will plug right in to HDTV/S-video. Who woulda thunk it! Now that is taken care of.

Now I'll go see what I need to set things op for folding.No hurry there. One of my clients has been working on a large WU and is 78% done, will finish in the wee hours. I'll wait 0n that.

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 5th September, 2008, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Did you post here somewhere how to assign one per card? If so i missed it. I should be able to run two GPU clients.
Right here, Sam:
Folding@home - Guide [on the GPU page]

I followed it to the letter the other day and it worked fine for me. Let me know if you have any trouble. Remember to disengage SLI, it doesn't support that.
#1: Tt Armor, ASUS Maximus Extreme, QX9650@4.1G, 8G Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000, Corsair HX1050, H2O-Swiftech, Gigabyte GTX470/Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus II, Intel 520 SSD, Kingston SSD, 2xRaptor 150G RAID0, Win 7 Pro 64
#2: Tt Shark, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Q6600@3.8G, 4G HyperX-1600, Corsair HX850, CoolerMaster V10, 2xASUS 9600GT, 2xRaptor 74G RAID0, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, Gentoo/siduction Linux [64-bit]

Last edited by ThunderRd; 5th September, 2008 at 02:41 AM.
Old 5th September, 2008, 03:10 AM

I tried once more to get the 177.35 to install. This board just won't accept the 177.** drivers. I shut down both anti-virus and firewall, unistalled the driver. Re booted and let it boot not allowing install of vesa drivers.Ran wintools reg cleaner and re-booted. Came back in safe mode and ran Driver Sweeper twice. then I tried to install 177.35. It won't install. so I install 174.16 with out a problem.

I have one slim hope with the GPU2 client. They say the "177.35 (or newer) driver can be downloaded from here and you should use this version unless there is a compelling reason to use a different one."

I suspect it's not going to help much but we will see in the morning.
Silver Linings!

1ST * Asus M5A99FX Pro r 2.0 *AMD FX 8350 Black Edition *Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 CPU Cooler * Crucial 16g DDR3 * MSI Geforce GTX 1050 * Antec 650w* Thermaltake V9 Case
2nd Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 Mainboard *AMD FX 4300 Black edition * l6g Crutial DDR3 * Evga Geforce Gt 730 * Coolermaster Dual fan HSF * 500w Thermaltake PSU * 320g western digital HDD

Old 5th September, 2008, 04:15 AM

Define won't install. Do you get an error?
Old 5th September, 2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Right here, Sam:
Folding@home - Guide [on the GPU page]

I followed it to the letter the other day and it worked fine for me. Let me know if you have any trouble. Remember to disengage SLI, it doesn't support that.
I will set this up tomorrow.

Thanks brother.
Old 5th September, 2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Define won't install. Do you get an error?
Yes, the installer does not recognize any Nvidia driver and aborts. On other installs drivers will load but I won't have a desk top. I have not kept track which drivers do what and when but those are the two things that happen if i try any 177.** driver.

Old 5th September, 2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, the installer does not recognize any Nvidia driver and aborts. On other installs drivers will load but I won't have a desk top. I have not kept track which drivers do what and when but those are the two things that happen if i try any 177.** driver.
At the risk of over-simplifying the problem, the downloads could be corrupted somehow from wherever you got them. That is not normal behavior. Did you use a download manager, by any chance? What was the source of the files? Try getting the files again from another source.

The only times I have ever had an NVidia driver abort installation is when the hardware check didn't detect the device properly. Is that possible? Is the card in the correct[primary] slot? See you manual for which one is the primary PCI-E slot. The only other reason I have known it to happen is if the old driver hasn't been cleaned out properly. I use Driver Cleaner for this purpose and it has never let me down. I'm not familiar with the softs you are using. It is more important than most users know to properly get rid of the old driver. Driver Cleaner deletes the old files, deletes the registry keys, and removes the backup files from driver.cab so that system file restore can't restore them. This must be done in safe mode. If you did it from your normal desktop it could explain your problems.

Other possibilities:

What happens if you try to install in safe mode? Be sure to use Driver Cleaner first, and run both Driver Cleaner and Cab Cleaner from the options menu, rebooting after both have finished.

Is it possible that you have a permissions problem? Are you attempting the install under different credentials than administrator? Try right-clicking the install file and choosing "Run As..." from the context menu. What options do you have there? Try run as...administrator.

I've installed drivers in the past that I wish had aborted before they installed, but they didn't.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 5th September, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 5th September, 2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
At the risk of over-simplifying the problem, the downloads could be corrupted somehow from wherever you got them. That is not normal behavior. Did you use a download manager, by any chance? What was the source of the files? Try getting the files again from another source.

The only times I have ever had an NVidia driver abort installation is when the hardware check didn't detect the device properly. Is that possible? Is the card in the correct[primary] slot? See you manual for which one is the primary PCI-E slot. The only other reason I have known it to happen is if the old driver hasn't been cleaned out properly. I use Driver Cleaner for this purpose and it has never let me down. I'm not familiar with the softs you are using. It is more important than most users know to properly get rid of the old driver. Driver Cleaner deletes the old files, deletes the registry keys, and removes the backup files from driver.cab so that system file restore can't restore them. This must be done in safe mode. If you did it from your normal desktop it could explain your problems.

Other possibilities:

What happens if you try to install in safe mode? Be sure to use Driver Cleaner first, and run both Driver Cleaner and Cab Cleaner from the options menu, rebooting after both have finished.

Is it possible that you have a permissions problem? Are you attempting the install under different credentials than administrator? Try right-clicking the install file and choosing "Run As..." from the context menu. What options do you have there? Try run as...administrator.

I've installed drivers in the past that I wish had aborted before they installed, but they didn't.
I don't use a download manager, and keep in mind that the drivers that do work are handled exactly the same way as those that don't.

I have gotten the drivers from 3 different sources-3DGuru, SoftPedia,and Nvidia. I get the drivers that work from those places as well.

There is only one PCI-e slot.

I disable anti-virus, Uninstall drivers & reboot cancelling out windows video install. I run Wintools reg cleaner & reboot comming back in safe mode and run Driver Sweeper twice. Then install drivers. 1 of 2 things happen with 177.** drivers. If they install, I won't have a desktop-just wallpaper, or they won't install at all. It doesn't recognize the card properly and gives an error msg saying something to the effect that it Doesn't recognize any Nvidia drive and aborts the install.

I haven't tried comming in as Admin. I'll try that. I'm also going to try ripping out the Physx installer and see if that helps.

Old 5th September, 2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
The only times I have ever had an NVidia driver abort installation is when the hardware check didn't detect the device properly. Is that possible?
Quote:
It doesn't recognize the card properly and gives an error msg saying something to the effect that it Doesn't recognize any Nvidia drive and aborts the install.

Well, that was one of the possibilities. Figure out why the OS and/or the installer isn't seeing the device properly and your problem goes away. It sounds like a software/OS, and not a hardware problem.

Try this just for laughs: Clean out the old driver and let windows install the default automatically. Then, in device manager, go to the properties of the device and select to update driver. Point it at the folder with the nVidia driver files. Reboot and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that you'll have a funky display and you'll have to revert to the former driver.

I can't say too much more than that, though. Lots of folks here know a lot more than I do about graphics cards and drivers. Anyone else with an idea?

BTW: 9600gt + physx=yes.

Last edited by ThunderRd; 5th September, 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 5th September, 2008, 04:45 PM

Ok, I'll try that next. Something for you to think about. I just got done trying to install 177.39-177.89-and 177.35 agian. I used Winrar to open them up and rip Nview.dll [desktop windows manager] and Nvshell.dll [Desktop Explorer] and replaced them with the same files from the 174.16. They just wouldn't install. A curiosity. The readme file says there is a file named Nvinstnt.dll [Install support file] in each 177 drivers. It.s not there. 174.16 doesn't have a read me.

Old 5th September, 2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Well, that was one of the possibilities. Figure out why the OS and/or the installer isn't seeing the device properly and your problem goes away. It sounds like a software/OS, and not a hardware problem.

Try this just for laughs: Clean out the old driver and let windows install the default automatically. Then, in device manager, go to the properties of the device and select to update driver. Point it at the folder with the nVidia driver files. Reboot and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that you'll have a funky display and you'll have to revert to the former driver.

Anyone else with an idea?

BTW: 9600gt + physx=yes.
We have a minor success. I tried your idea on 177.35 with the same result. Wouldn't recognize the card. Then I tried it on 177.89 and bingo it installed, but it came back out of boot without my desktop-just the wallpaper. What a pain. I'm going to see about swapping some .dll files and see what happens.

Old 5th September, 2008, 06:05 PM

Success! 177.89 Drivers are loaded and running. There might be hitch in the giddyup though. when the desktop stoped loading I got an error msg-
NMindexStoreSvr,exe needs to close. We'll see what that is.
Thanks Thunder!

Old 5th September, 2008, 09:14 PM

Arrow

You don't have to rip the PhysX driver out because I already did that and uploaded it to AOA files.

nVidia PhysX v. 8.08.01
Click Here For Download Info

* File Description: These PhysX drivers are the newest from Nvidia.
For the Geforce 8 Series Graphics Cards & Higher.

"Since NVIDIA first announced it had purchased PhysX, gamers have been waiting with anticipation for NVIDIA to release drivers to enable physics processing on the GPU. Today, NVIDIA finally delivered the drivers that enable PhysX physics processing on its high-end 8 series GeForce GPU's."

Last edited by MUff1N; 5th September, 2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 5th September, 2008, 10:24 PM

Thanks Muff1n, but to late. I got my driver from 3DGuru. I didn't mess with it 'cause i wanted to try thundrs idea. His was a good start but it needed one more step. After pointing windows to the 177.89 dir to install the vesa drivers and it took them but only gave me the wall paper, i then did a full install of the driver and bingo. It's a done deal!

Old 6th September, 2008, 10:46 AM

Arrow

You might want to check out my Geforce Drivers & Nvidia PhysX Experiment!
It worked...