AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th October, 2009, 06:42 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Connecting Live Instruments and technology...Gibson DarkFire

On the other side of my life, I'm an avid guitar player. I own many guitars, but the Gibson DarkFire is my daily-beater. This guitar includes "Robot Tuning", as well as several technical features that make this guitar stand out. Included in the case was a FireWire audio interface, as well as GuitarRig3(amp modelling software). Check it out:
Attached Thumbnails
Connecting Live Instruments and technology...Gibson DarkFire-085a.jpg   Connecting Live Instruments and technology...Gibson DarkFire-087a.jpg   Connecting Live Instruments and technology...Gibson DarkFire-109a.jpg   Connecting Live Instruments and technology...Gibson DarkFire-137a.jpg  
Old 10th October, 2009, 07:13 PM

Arrow

I've been a guitar player since I was 16 & never even heard of this Les Paul model before...
Has to be very recent because of the tech in it.
The robo tuning is crazy! I just checked it out!
I'd hate to see the price on this & you can forget about working on it yourself.
Not to mention the replacement parts for when it stops tunning correctly!
How many months of constant use do you think that would last???
Good novelty, but I wouldn't buy it unless I had money to blow.

DarkFire Demo: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...ark-fire-demo/

What matters to me the most in a guitar is this...

1. How it sounds.
A guitar can look extremely cool, but if it sounds like ****
it is ****!
(Because of the DarkFire having to have all the motors & such in it, it's missing a LOT more wood!
This really effects the sound of a guitar & takes away from the FAT sound of a Les Paul)

2. The Playing Action.
If a guitar is hard to play I don't care how much it costs or how cool it looks, its garbage!

Now I'm not saying the DarkFire is a bad guitar, I'm just saying for the price I doubt if I would ever buy it.
Would be really nice to have it as a collector's guitar though, & would be worth a lot in 20 years or so if you never played it.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 10th October, 2009 at 07:36 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th October, 2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUff1N View Post
I've been a guitar player since I was 16 & never even heard of this Les Paul model before...
Has to be very recent because of the tech in it.
Fully released May 2009("Paper" launch was in December of 2008). Cost more than I'd like to admit.
Quote:
What matters to me the most in guitar is this...

1. How it sounds.
A guitar can look extremely cool, but if it sounds like ****
it is ****!
This Les Paul is chambered, so acoutically, without an amp, it's amazingly loud and bright. The sustain is tremendous.

The bridge has a built-in peizo, so there are 3 pickups. You can use each on it's own, or blend the peizo into the standard magnetic pick-ups' sound-stream.

Each magnetic pick-up is dual-coil, and the onboard electronics let you chose which of those coils you are using...all 4, any combo of three, one from the bridge/one from the neck, as well as some selections that place the pick-ups out-of-phase as well.

The actual tonal possibilites in the guitar electonics alone sets it far apart, but add in the GuitarRig software, plug into a pc, and you can change the sound of every string independantly, or all six as a whole.

The possibilities has me playing an average of 3 hours, every day. I was playing for about 1hr a day before. The combination of hardware and software means that whatever sound I want to come out of the strings...does. Any sound.

Quote:
2. The Playing Action.
If a guitar is hard to play I don't care how much it costs or how cool it looks, its garbage!
Action is highly subjective; individual to the player. Through the use of a new nut, and adjustable bridges, as well as a decent trusssrod in the neck, action isn't really an issue in any guitar. Neck shape on every Gibson is slightly different, due to being done by hand, and this is my second DarkFire. The first was returned due to faults...but this one has been flawless.

I am finding that as the weather changes(it's now -4 outside, -12 with the wind), I've had to make a few adjustments, but after 20 years of playing, I know exactly what to do, and haven't had any issues doing so what so ever.

After spending alot of time with the guitar. It's everything I expected when looking before buying, although it did take 2 guitars to get that. MSRP is $3600 US, so perfection is a must at that price level. I bought it to play it, not collect it, BTW. Cost is not a factor...if you want something...go get it!

Last edited by cadaveca; 10th October, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th October, 2009, 07:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Hey Cadaveca! It's good to see you again. Hope all is well with you?
Old 10th October, 2009, 08:12 PM
AOA Staff

Nice guitar!
Old 10th October, 2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Hey Cadaveca! It's good to see you again. Hope all is well with you?
Well, other than the cold weather, and my furnace giving up overnight, things are great! Thanksgiving weekend up here, so repair to the furnace costs extra!

Leaves are falling off the trees green. Barely been above 0c for a few days now. Would be good overclocking weather, but I don't have time for that stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok View Post
Nice guitar!

It really is. One of my most satisfactory buys ever.

Last edited by cadaveca; 10th October, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10th October, 2009, 08:21 PM

Arrow

Sorry, but even when I was playing professionally that price is way too high for my tastes.
I NEVER paid more than $1200 for a new guitar & most I bought used for about $500.

The new $1200 guitar I bought was a Strat. (It was well worth $2800 & I bought it from a store owner/friend at cost)
Ash body, clear red finish, rosewood fretboard with a Kailer wammy.
You could push the wammy down to where the strings were falling off the neck & it would come back into perfect tuning everytime!
Best guitar I ever owned or played.
Killer rock guitar with a very FAT sound.
(weighed a ton for a strat)

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 10th October, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10th October, 2009, 08:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Anything that makes to music makers happy pleases me! ":O}

Great to see you posting here again.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 10th October, 2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but even when I was playing professionally that price is way too high for my tastes.
I NEVER paid more than $1200 for a new guitar & most I bought used for about $500.

The new $1200 guitar I bought was a Strat. (It was well worth $2800 & I bought it from a store owner/friend at cost)
Ash body, clear red finish, rosewood fretboard with a Kailer wammy.
You could push the wammy down to where the strings were falling off the neck & it would come back into perfect tuning everytime!
Best guitar I ever owned or played.
Killer rock guitar with a very FAT sound.
(weighed a ton for a strat)
Cost doesn't matter to me. it merely equals time before owning, and I have buttloads of patience. I bought mine 3 months after the 2nd release, So I've had it a bit over 2 months now. I also have a blue Robot, and a red Gibson Studio.

In the end, the guitar cost less than what some paintjobs on a car do. A good furnace costs as much. Did I mention it's too cold in here for me to play! lol. Been running benchmarks on my machines, and baking cookies, to stay warm!
Old 10th October, 2009, 08:42 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

If you need a place to store your cookies...I'm available! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th October, 2009, 01:13 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Both Strats and Les Pauls are easy on the ears and eyes. I imagine that you're both good guitar slingers, more power to you!
Old 11th October, 2009, 02:01 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Hey bud good to see ya! Very nice axe.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 11th October, 2009, 04:15 AM

Not many survived the cold...
Attached Thumbnails
Connecting Live Instruments and technology...Gibson DarkFire-cookies.jpg  
Old 11th October, 2009, 06:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Poor storage technique! I'll send you my shipping address! Don't let this happen to you again!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 12th October, 2009, 10:58 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Did I mention it's too cold in here for me to play! lol. Been running benchmarks on my machines, and baking cookies, to stay warm!
Hey Cadaveca, good to see you! Baking is one good way to stay warm - especially in winter.
Old 13th October, 2009, 09:39 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I don't understand the extra capabilities of your Gibson, but I gotta say that's one beautiful axe.
Old 15th October, 2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
I don't understand the extra capabilities of your Gibson, but I gotta say that's one beautiful axe.
Just many ways to tweak the way it sounds, both in the guitar itself, and interfaced with a pc. Sits next to a pc, ready to play, 24/7!

If I find the time, I'll toss up a demo video, but I have some eyefinity gaming to do first!
Old 7th November, 2009, 07:14 PM

I had to send my DarkFire back to Gibson for repair. The electronics couldn't take my abuse! More info to follow when it returns!(Which may be a couple of months.)
Old 7th November, 2009, 07:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

That's ONE LONG wait for a musician! Sorry Bud!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Tags
guitar