AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th March, 2010, 08:28 AM
Phat Spammer

Send a message via AIM to Phat Pat

Nvidia 196.75 drivers released, cites significant performance improvement

Drivers - 64 bit for vista / 7

And they aren't making it up. For me anyway. Quick testing in furmark pushed me up from 6850 on the last driver to 7399 with the new ones.

It's not mind blowing, but it's pretty significant for 5 minutes and no money.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2010, 08:54 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Dude I am going to install these once I will get home. TY !
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2010, 10:27 AM
Phat Spammer

Oh, by the way. If you happen to have SLI like me, installing the driver turned off SLI, I had to re-enable it in the nvidia control panel.

So really, my score went down to 3000 something initially, throwing me into fits, until I realized the problem :P

*edit: oops, looks like I doubled Muff1n's post here Nvidia Forceware Drivers v196.75 WHQL Released

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Phat Pat; 4th March, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 4th March, 2010, 11:15 AM
Benchmarker

Well I like yours better
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 4th March, 2010, 04:07 PM
Benchmarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Pat View Post
Drivers - 64 bit for vista / 7

And they aren't making it up. For me anyway. Quick testing in furmark pushed me up from 6850 on the last driver to 7399 with the new ones.

It's not mind blowing, but it's pretty significant for 5 minutes and no money.

in what resolution you got that score and what settings?

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/sc...723c957670c13c

Last edited by chrisbard; 4th March, 2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 4th March, 2010, 09:16 PM

Arrow

Quote:

*edit: oops, looks like I doubled Muff1n's post here Nvidia Forceware Drivers v196.75 WHQL Released
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
Well I like yours better
Now my feelings are hurt...

j/j...check out my latest Vantage Benchmark score using the 196.75 drivers.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 4th March, 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 5th March, 2010, 06:10 AM
Phat Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard View Post
in what resolution you got that score and what settings?

OpenGL Graphics Benchmarks Scores | oZone3D.Net
my score was at 1920x1080. I didn't validate it, so I ran another (only 7330 this time)

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/sc...394cb4f72f39d8

AOA Team fah

Last edited by Phat Pat; 5th March, 2010 at 06:13 AM. Reason: forgot to include the link, doh
Old 5th March, 2010, 11:29 AM
Phat Spammer

Apparently there are reports that this version is causing overheating problems. They are recommending a roll back to the last version

NVIDIA 196.75 kills video cards News Item | IncGamers

They seem to work fine for me, but thought everyone should be aware.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th March, 2010, 11:45 AM
Benchmarker

Well I tested using the previous driver. This furmark bench is stressing the GPU and the temperature goes up to 90C. But the GPU is guaranted to work well till 105C.

Old 5th March, 2010, 12:05 PM
Benchmarker

My GTS 250 acts a bit weird when it comes to the fan speed. I haven't found yet an application that will show me the fan speed. What I noticed by the sound of the fan is that only after the GPU is 90C the fan goes up to max speed. I don't know if this is called using a hardware protection or a software one in the driver. But what I can guess is that if its triggered by the driver then a failed driver setting can damage a card by keeping the fan speed at a certain level (say 50%) while the gcard heats up.

Last edited by chrisbard; 5th March, 2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 5th March, 2010, 05:00 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Apparently there are reports that this version is causing overheating problems. They are recommending a roll back to the last version

NVIDIA 196.75 kills video cards News Item | IncGamers

They seem to work fine for me, but thought everyone should be aware.
I've experienced absolutely no problems on my 8800GTS, but that's using the older G80.
I have a feeling the overheating issues are with the newer cards because heat isn't a problem...even with my card OCed as far as it can go & be stable.
The most it heats up is to 65c with the fan of course at 100% (using EVGA Precision) & the custom exhaust fan I have for it at the rear of my case at 2300rpm which really keeps it cool!

I tested it (real world) playing Bioshock 2 for over 3 hours straight yesterday without a problem of any kind.
Attached Thumbnails
Nvidia 196.75 drivers released, cites significant performance improvement-graphics-card-case-cooling-mod.jpg  

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119

Last edited by MUff1N; 5th March, 2010 at 05:04 PM.