AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th May, 2010, 08:31 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Vidcard cutting out for four seconds?

My Asus 5570 shuts down for a few seconds at random. Perhaps once every five hours or so. Is this DRM in action? Maybe it's not the video card that pulls this delightful trick?
Old 12th May, 2010, 06:43 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Sounds like a thermal issue?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th May, 2010, 08:49 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Uh-oh, I hope not!
Old 12th May, 2010, 10:45 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

I think I had an issue like this once on my Vista box. All I did was install another driver and that fixed it.
Hth
BlackBerry8330m/4.5.0.186 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104
Old 13th May, 2010, 08:24 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

According to Asus's Smart Doctor the GPU is at 39C, 102F. It's running at stock, AFAIK. Hmm, maybe I'll look for a WHQL driver at the house that Bill built?
Old 14th May, 2010, 07:09 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Sounds like a plan.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th May, 2010, 08:02 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
According to Asus's Smart Doctor the GPU is at 39C, 102F. It's running at stock, AFAIK. Hmm, maybe I'll look for a WHQL driver at the house that Bill built?
39 C sounds like an idle temp. Check the temp after the video card has being doing 3D for an hour or so.
Old 14th May, 2010, 08:22 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Maybe that's a good excuse to buy an up to date game?
Old 14th May, 2010, 10:28 PM
AOA Staff

You could try this:
FurMark v. 1.4.0

Has a GPU burner.
Old 15th May, 2010, 10:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thanks danrok! I'll see if OpenGL runs on my ATi card. Holy crud, Half-Life2 is six years old!
Old 17th May, 2010, 05:21 PM
Steve Jobs

I know this will sound silly, but bear with me.

I had a DVI->DSub adapter that was not screwed down and occasionally, I would kick a powerboard under my desk, which would pull the thing far enough out to blank the screen, then come back.

Check the cables, power and video just in case, your temps sound fine atm.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 18th May, 2010, 08:46 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

The Furburg, er FurMark OpenGL benchmark leans on the Vidcard pretty well, I see 59C right after the test. The monitor is screwed into the Vidcard good and tight. Hmm, mebbe I ought to buy a new power strip for the PC, it's mighty old. But that means getting underneath the desk. Horrors!
Old 21st May, 2010, 03:56 AM
AOA Staff

Keep us in the know.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd May, 2010, 08:14 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

OK.. I know my laziness challenges that of the best.
Old 11th July, 2010, 09:34 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A search for 'WHQL drivers' at MS yield nothing. WTH? Oh, they're not called WHQL drivers anymore. OK, mebbe I should grab an up to date driver from Asus? ~100 Mb, at 19 kbps, oh no.
Old 16th July, 2010, 09:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Meh, Asus bites for getting an updated driver, I'll try ATi. What's the name of the prog that we have that completely removes your old video card driver. please?
Old 23rd July, 2010, 01:40 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloasters View Post
Meh, Asus bites for getting an updated driver, I'll try ATi. What's the name of the prog that we have that completely removes your old video card driver. please?
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper is a fast tool to remove driver leftovers from your system. It's very important to remove your drivers on a proper way, because driver leftovers can cause problems like stability and startup problems. You can use it if you want to update/remove drivers from your system.

How to use ?

There are two methods to use Driver Sweeper.
Both methods achieve the same results. This method is always able to clean all files.

This method will delete remaining files upon reboot (if deleting failed). You can clean your drivers this way:

* Use the official uninstaller(s) of the driver(s) you want to uninstall.
* Reboot your PC in Safe Mode.
* Run Driver Sweeper and select what to clean.
* Analyse lists all the entries possible to remove, cleaning removes the entries selected.
* More drivers can be selected for the same cleaning process.

What can it be used for ?
The current supported drivers are NVIDIA (Display and Chipset), ATI (Display), Creative (Sound) Realtek (Sound), Ageia (PhysX) and Microsoft (Mouse).

All the settings are saved in an ini file. Nothing is created in the registry, so it's possible to use it as a portable program. Log files can be saved to the harddisk and viewed as well. You can find the logs under the Tools menu.

EVGA GTX 470 SC 37% OC (855/1710/2004) 160.5Gbs
3DMark Vantage: P24352
3DMark 11: P5119
Old 23rd July, 2010, 08:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Thank you very much for the directions, MUff1N! My Vidcard started cutting out worse than ever yesterday, so I DL'd the two latest drivers from ATi, crikey, took me long enough! Their driver removal prog worked very well, i'm happy to say that the "hey, I'm on strike!" problem hasn't happened since installing the 10.6 Catalyst driver!
Thanks again!
Old 26th July, 2010, 08:38 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

That delightful screen goes black for up to ten seconds and you don't know if it'll get normal again problem is history. Yay for updated drivers!
Old 13th August, 2010, 08:43 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

No Vidcard probs at all since finally getting off of my butt and updating the driver file. Yay!!